Valve has announced that Artifact is returning. This comes to us a little over 1 year ago when they announced the game was being worked on and they were going into silence.
- If you purchased the game prior to today, you have a chance of getting into Beta 2.0.
- A new Draft mode was added - Hero Draft.
- You can zoom out on the board.
- There are no plans to sell cards or packs of cards. Cards are earned through playing the game.
- Individual cards are likely to have been changed, removed, or brand new; so old decks and stats wouldn’t be valid.
This week we wanted to talk about the Artifact Beta 2.0, what it will include, and when it will happen.
We’ve been focusing on gameplay changes first. The biggest change is zooming out to allow players access to all three lanes at once. The majority of effects still work on individual lanes so they still maintain their identity, but it’s less likely that a player will get shut out in the same way they used to.
We’ve also focused on making the game easier to pick up. We aren’t selling cards, so you won’t face an opponent with a stacked deck. We’ve also added a new draft mode, Hero Draft, that gives you a taste of constructing decks without all the pressure.
The beta will exist as a new executable and access will be granted to individual accounts. When we are ready to send out invites we will let you know the process.
Here’s the current road-map:
- Test boring stuff <- We are here
- Trickle out invites, starting with players of the original release (ramping up similar to Dota 2)
- Work on the Beta, eventually transitioning to an open beta
- Leave Beta (hopefully quicker than Dota 2)
Q. I didn’t play the original. If I buy the original game now, will I be able to get in?
A. No, we will prioritize people who purchased before today’s date.
Q. I played the original, will I have access to my stats, cards, decks, etc. from the original game?
A. In the new version cards are unlocked through play. Individual cards are likely to have been changed, removed, or brand new; so old decks and stats wouldn’t be valid.
Q. Can I buy cards/packs in the Beta?
A. We have some ideas about what we’d like to sell, but none of them are cards/packs.
Q. I’m a member of the press, a celebrity, a streamer, an influencer, a pro gamer, etc. Can I get in?
A. Selection will be mostly random. So… maybe?