Ride And Die - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1445 1621 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Feedback time:

Show Spoiler

Cheese - I think I like Peculiar Pilots the most. Summoning a random Legendary is a huge variance and not really tied to the Warrior, while the other two are simply okay. Peculiar Pilots plays into Mech Hunter, while also being a sort-of callback to Piloted Shredder.

Lundy - I prefer the Hawkstrider. I don't like the art on the Mechanostrider, and it just feels bland. Conversely, the art for the Hawkstrider cards are perfect and Spell Damage adds a different dimension. The only thing you're missing is a watermark on the Strider minion.

Nirast - I mentioned it in Discord, but you should replace the Big Crab art so they're not the same and make it a Hunter minion.

anchorm4n - I believe you submitted already, but at any rate I'd say you're good to go with Take Possession.

Demonxz95 - That art is much better.

AeroJulwin - Hello! Welcome to OutofCards, and to our side of things :D For being new to this, you did a pretty good job overall; I like it a lot. A few things to consider: the watermark on the Kodo Mount card is for Classic/Legacy, so that should be changed, and the art for the Kodos is already being used by Stampeding Kodo and Thickhide Kodo, so those should be swapped out as well. Beyond that, I think you're good to go!

R - Imitation is weird: I think I know what you mean by "this minion", but I shouldn't have to guess or puzzle it out. System Update is a bit heavy-handed, so by the process of elimination I would say go with Ancient Spirit: it may be simple, but it's still a very effective card for Token Druid. It might have to cost 1, given it buffs, summons a body, and is Nature for Guff Runetotem.

Wailor - Cycle of Life is a cool card, but it should probably not be a K&C card. Recruit has a connotation that doesn't connect with the flavor of the card itself.

Arkasaur - I like it; not much to add, really, 'cause it seems ready to submit.

BloodMefist - I like Silver Hand Recruits more than the Adventurers, but the Adventurers appear to be the Flavor of the Month so maybe go with them? Hard to say. The SHR version is definitely the more "dangerous" one, given how much synergy exists for them.

Hordaki - I think you mean Menagerie Warrior :P I like the card, and its intended use-case; N'Zoth, God of the Deep is a favorite of mine. That being said, it doesn't seem like giving a minion all-types is really that effective, as we lack cards like Houndmaster or Fire Breather in Warrior. Ringmaster's Baton and Ringmaster Whatley exist, but the minion you're buffing won't benefit from including those in your deck.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 410 370 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Some more feedback:

R
    I agree with others that Ancient Spirit is your coolest card. Besides changing the artwork as others suggested, I'd also change its watermark to something else, since it's a bit weird to have a card which is mechanically identical to Mounts but has a different flavor.

AeroJulwin
    Very cool card for a first try! It took me a while to not make overly complicated cards, so your card is quite impressive. As others pointed out all artworks in your cards are already being used by existing cards, so I'd try to fix that.

Demonxz95
    A change for the better, for sure. It also ties much better with the name :)

Nirast
    The destroy based on cost looks like a Priest or Warlock effect more than a Hunter one. Also, the text is a bit too crammed for my taste.

Lundy
    Hawkstrider Mount is probably my favorite cards amongst the ones that try to replicate Stormwind Mounts. I wouldn't change the name of the token, btw, since it fits the existing convention.

Mechanostrider Mount, on the other hand, doesn't have such a neat effect (Rogue isn't known for using Rush) and has an awful art.

CheeseEtc
    I really like Repair Bots, it might be my favorite card so far. The flavor is off-the-charts.

Also, I wouldn't go with Wooden Steed, since Shaman+Rogue wasn't a class combination in Scholomance.

• Nirast's Avatar Content Squad Snow-Covered 705 537 Posts Joined 04/01/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Updated my cards:

More feedback:

Lundy
    Neither are super interesting, but I think the Mage one is better.

Cheese
    Famous Pilots is the most interesting of the bunch, and it basically turns your Mech into a Sneed's Old Shredder. The problem is that amount of stats is pretty huge. I think Peculiar Pilots is more balanced.

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1590 1684 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Remember to force apply the watermark to your token cards if you have any. They don't have a rarity gem, but they do have a watermark (Xyrella's Elekk). Only 1 of the 6 currently submitted cards with a token thought of that and they used an exisiting token from an old set. (You do that by selecting "Custom" in the watermark drop down field [even if you're using the watermark from an existing expansion] and tick the box "Force Apply Emblem").

Cheese: I have to agree with Wailor, Repair Bots might be the card with the coolest flavor so far. Great idea!

Nirast: It's a bit too creative for my taste. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a card that uses a choice between two options outside of "Choose One".

Really great ideas overall! So far I have voted seven times 4 stars and one time 5 stars (might have been more without the watermark problem mentioned above) out of 16 cards. Crazy!

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 70 13 Posts Joined 07/08/2021
    Posted 3 months ago

Quote From anchorm4n
    Nirast: It's a bit too creative for my taste. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a card that uses a choice between two options outside of "Choose One".

I don't think it's unheard of, just not phrased this way. I think it should be something along the lines of:

"Give a minion +3/+4. If it's an enemy minion with 3 or less Attack, destroy it instead. When the target dies, summon a Crab."

Tried it in HearthCards. Sadly it takes up to much space on the card. Edit: Nevermind, if you cut it between "When" and "the target" it fits on four lines.

Posted 3 months ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

Really great ideas overall! So far I have voted seven times 4 stars and one time 5 stars (might have been more without the watermark problem mentioned above) out of 16 cards. Crazy!

Death Coil

Posted 3 months ago

True, thanks for helping me out :)

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1760 1893 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

There are actually more than there initially seems like there would be. Off the top of my head, Guess the Weight and Sphere of Sapience provide two options. As as aforementioned even though it doesn't work like a traditional choice card, Death Coil could also fit into that category as well. Actually if Death Coil counts, then Demonfire and Demonheart would also count.

In the realm of more than two options, then you expand this even further. I've always felt that Choose One shouldn't have been a Druid-specific keyword since in addition to opening lots of design spaces for other classes, modal effects are just a main staple for a lot of card games.

Posted 3 months ago

I was mostly thinking of cards that are worded "Do this, or do that", but your examples are also good, Demon.

I agree Choose One shouldn't be exclusive to Druid, and I would argue neither should Combo.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1760 1893 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Quick feedback! Only got one day left!

CheeseEtc

The only one of these four I don't like particularly much is Wooden Steed. I feel like just playing Animated Broomstick is generally better. The fact that it uses a non-existant pairing of classes also bothers me. It would be completely fine with a custom watermark, but not in Scholomance (though that would then put you in a problem of generating a card which would be Wild-only at the time which not everyone may be fond of).

I like the simplicity of Repair Bots, though the first Peculiar Pilots will likely get a better score since it's more flashy.

Nirast
    I think the card is okay. Mechanically it fits Priest pretty nicely, but unfortunately it doesn't fit the class flavorfully unless it was put into an extremely specific context.

• Lundy's Avatar Protector of Elwynn 1105 499 Posts Joined 06/21/2019
    Posted 2 months, 4 weeks ago

Good luck to everyone in the finals!

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1445 1621 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

If I had known that Take Possession would be a finalist and my card would not, I would have made a bigger stink and got anchorm4n to make a new card lol jk :P

Good luck to the finalists.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

*gives anchorm4n the evil eye* ...Congratulations, ya bastard lol

Posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

thank you! I'll take care to do something completely different than you for the rest of the season :D

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 410 370 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats, anchorm4n!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium