The Best Deals Anywhere - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• Neoguli's Avatar Duskrider 715 398 Posts Joined 06/25/2019
    Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Wailor - thanks for your kind words, but I do like to stand out, so I was ready to discard Magical Seed itself, but not give up on the similar mechanic, as it was already standing out. I'll see if it will pan out, it will be up on me.

"Truth is in the shadows, waiting to be revealed by the light. But light only disperses the shadow." - Me

"If other people shared traits of those considered naive, the world would've become a better place." - Also me

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 735 1020 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Ok i guess i have to rework my card are little - overall it is fine but a few people said it has not enough Tradeable flavour. 

I mean the OP said:

You must create a card with Tradeable, or that synergises with the Tradeable mechanic

• We're looking for direct synergies like Auctioneer Jaxon, not something more tangential.

I mean it is a Tradeable card - the OP said make this or that not both ... but i guess if it will hurt my rating im going to rework it.

Edit:

Here is my first rework:

Hopefully it now has enough Tradeable Flavour :) - even tough im not sure if it is not too strong now - maybe get rid of the Immune? ... also had the Idea that whenever this gets traded that the Attack will increase or something like that.

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 70 11 Posts Joined 07/08/2021

Feedback for FieselFitz

Show Spoiler
    Tradeable cards need to be situational. If the right situation might be coming up, you keep the card. Otherwise you trade it. Hero Immunity is something Demon Hunter can profit from in many situations (the first card didn't have a lot of value to trade), so I understand as to why a change was necessary.

The issue I see with the new version is the exact opposite: it doesn't have any value to play. Who would want a 5-cost 4/4 if you can get a different card AND Attack/Immunity for the turn for only 1 Mana instead?

I hope this explanation helps you with your final design. I think you're on to something!

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1760 1877 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Quote From FieselFitz

Show Spoiler

Ok i guess i have to rework my card are little - overall it is fine but a few people said it has not enough Tradeable flavour. 

I mean the OP said:

You must create a card with Tradeable, or that synergises with the Tradeable mechanic

• We're looking for direct synergies like Auctioneer Jaxon, not something more tangential.

I mean it is a Tradeable card - the OP said make this or that not both … but i guess if it will hurt my rating im going to rework it.

Edit:

Here is my first rework:

Hopefully it now has enough Tradeable Flavour :) - even tough im not sure if it is not too strong now - maybe get rid of the Immune? … also had the Idea that whenever this gets traded that the Attack will increase or something like that.

That's not what I meant by "Tradeable flavor". What I mean by "Tradeable flavor" is that most cards with Tradeable represent some aspect of acquisition whether it be something that acquire (such as Heavy Plate, Fire Sale, or Imported Tarantula) or a person that you acquire the item from (such as Impatient Shopkeep, Persistent Peddler, or Shady Bartender). Some of these are a little bit more broad when it comes to their theme of acquisition like City Tax or Overdraft, but the flavor idea is still there. You can argue some exceptions may exist, but for the most part, Tradeable cards all share this style of flavor.

Your card lacks Tradeable flavor because it doesn't have the flavor of acquisition that existing Tradeable cards have. It's not an item or service to buy, or a person who would offer that item or service. It's just a big hulking demon. Is he going to trade his axe with you? Is that why your hero gets the +1 Attack from when you Trade him? I could reasonably buy that, but the general flavor of the card doesn't make this too apparent. It would do a better job if the card had different art or even just a different name to suggest that he's a demonic ally who can trade weapons with you.

And I also agree with AeroJulwin. Another problem with the card is that the only reason you'd ever use it is just to use its on-Trade effect since you would never want to play a 5 mana 4/4 with no other effect. I like Tradeable cards that have a bonus effect when Traded, but there should probably also be a reason to actually play the card as opposed to just using it for trading.

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Ah ok, now i know what you mean - thanks for the clarification!

Made a new one because i couldn't think of a suitable rework right now.

I think this is way more flavourful for the Keyword Tradeable - and hopefully balanced :) 

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1435 1555 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Good luck to the finalists!

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1590 1667 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Congrats Lundy! 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Congrats to Lundy !

• Lundy's Avatar Protector of Elwynn 1105 497 Posts Joined 06/21/2019

Thanks, good to finally win one. Looking forward to competing more next season!

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 410 367 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From Lundy

Thanks, good to finally win one. Looking forward to competing more next season!

And a very well deserved one, IMO.

• Longshadow's Avatar 65 7 Posts Joined 03/31/2021

Is there not going to be a prompt for this week?

• cydonianknight's Avatar 405 82 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

Each season of these competitions has been 20 weeks long. Unfortunately this was the 20th week, therefore meaning we're gonna have to wait until season 4. I don't know when that will be, but I'm looking forward to it whenever it comes around.

EDIT: Forgot to say, congratulations Lundy! Well deserved winner.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1435 1555 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

A (late) congratulations to Lundy! Also yes, this was the end of Season 3. We'll be back eventually, so keep your eyes peeled for more details :)

If you would like to provide some feedback regarding how we operate the voting system or anything else, leave a comment in anchorm4n's thread.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium