Bottoms Up - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• MrRhapsody's Avatar Child of the Night 770 110 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

Ok, I was really tempted to go with Magnetic Fisher as a Paladin card, however, Warlock is my fav class and had a nice feedback, so Clutch of the Deep it is!

And now, another round of feedback:

Show Spoiler

Dapperdog: It seens you wanted to keep the original flavour and text, that's fair, but I'll they you this, people here love flavourful cards that fits the competition theme. Also, you should DEFINALLY make an effort to make it 4 lines maximum and add the VttSC watermark, I know at least one guy here that will be quite pissed about it…

Neoguli: It seens you already submmited, but know that I think you choosed tthe best one.

Nirast: Honestly, I'll have to agree with Linkblade. It has flavour and an interesting effect, but it is kinda inconsistent and it is not really clear about where it wants to go. What about switch the effect to Legendary minions or 8+ cost minions instead of colossals and sunken cards? It loses a little bit of flavour but at least it will be more consistent and look more realistic. Also there's nothing wrong with the art, but it could definally be better.

BasilAnguis: Looks simple, flavourful and nice. I think you should change the art and mess with the statline a bit, but overall it is a very cool card.

Wailor: I'm in love with Blessing of the Ocean, amazing effect and flavor, Buuuuuuuuuut, I have a feeling that Yogg'Siren will do better, the flavour is also awesome and the art is pretty neat. The only suggestion I give is to raise the cost a bit and maybe make it targets enemies if possible. (and by the way, the name  Anchor Guy was just a place holder :P )

ChickyChick: Grotesmal is my favorite overall, however, it is quite problematic as Demon pointed out. That said, I think you should either go with Fussy Lobstradon and change it to a Beast, or make some adjustments to Grotesmal's Tentacles.

Alfi: Personally, I like it, quite solid and flavourful, for me you should just change "library" to "deck" and add the dot to the end and you're good to go. However, it seens some people here are confused and overthinking about the effect, that's definally not a good sign for your card, think about it before submmiting.

Do you also like Elden Ring? Then you should check out my Elden Ring inspired Duels Heroes!

• ChickyChick's Avatar Fan Creator 405 134 Posts Joined 06/18/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

Would slapping "(up to 5)" on Grotesmal's Tentacles be too brutal? I thought that having 10 cards UI is possible, but I'm not convinced anymore.

Ok

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 540 531 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

More feedback:

ChickyChick
    I think Grotesmal is your best card, but I agree with the general sentiment about its tentacles' effect. What if you move the "Dredge has an extra option" to the main body and the tentacles reduce the cost?

About your other cards, I like Fussy Lobstradon (even if I seem to be alone with this), although it should definetly be a Beast.

Alfi
    Your card is good, but its text should use the word "deck" instead of "library" and end with a full stop. Also, I think you could come up with a less generic name than Mgrlglr that still sounds like a Murloc name.

Posted 2 months ago

@Wailor

The idea was that Tentacles increase reach, allowing to Dredge more things, so I would rather keep the effect on them. That said, I suppose with more complicated cards people have to focus more on effect from gameplay perspective, so flavour may have less meaning, so I can at least consider your idea, though I will probably just add limit note in parentheses.

Ok

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 260 96 Posts Joined 07/08/2021
    Posted 2 months ago

Welcome back, everyone!

I wasn't quite inspired earlier this week, so I decided to silently sneak in my submission. Looking forward to all the amazing prompt Sunken City and season 5 may bring!

• Alfi's Avatar Devoted Academic 1715 1294 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

Updated based on feedback. 

-=alfi=-

Posted 2 months ago

@Alfi

Effects which resolve at the end of your turn trigger after timer for your turn ends, so they can't allow player to make actions, they are always resolved automatically, so this would just Dredge randomly.

Ok

• Hordaki's Avatar Dragon Scholar 650 264 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

@linkblade91: I only card I could find with an equivalent text is Roll the Bones which doesn't use "has a Deathrattle", so I'm gonna leave it as is.

-Hordaki (rhymes with Mordecai)

Check out the Tactician custom class!

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1911 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

That's fair. I still think it's weird, but you win this round :P

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Nirast's Avatar Content Admin Snow-Covered 810 740 Posts Joined 04/01/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

Followed the feedback and came up with this guy. Keeping the Sunken effect, but the Colossal effect has been replace with a "minions that cost 7+" one. The only colossal that can't be summoned is Crabatoa. Also made it Epic, see how it's received.

Show Spoiler

BasilAnguis: I like it, simple, but effective design. Great if you can kill it the turn it's summoned, like with a Rancor, or in a Warlock deck.

Wailor: Yogg'Siren simply because of the name. The others aren't bad either.

ChickyChick: So Grotesmal would give you 5 options for dredge? Not sure how the UI would work if you have more than 2 tentacles. Either way, I like the Herald the most.

Alfi: The shuffle effect is basically meaningless unless you Dredged, or you played Lorekeeper Polkelt before, Ambassador Faelin, or Sir Finley, Sea Guide, in all the cases the card being anti-synergistic (except for maybe Finley). Also, you can't really interact with the game after the turn ends.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2110 2110 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 2 months ago

You've got a little less than 24 hours to submit.

Alfi
    I got what the shuffle is trying to do now, but Dredging at the end of your turn means that you just get one of the three cards at the bottom of the deck randomly (effectively making the shuffle effect now almost entirely useless). The stats are fine, but it should use the VttSC watermark.

Nirast
    The two effects are quite disparate from each other which you don't typically find on most Hearthstone cards, but I do like what the card is trying to do. The two effects don't seem that outlandishly strong, so I'm wondering if you could possibly give it an extra stat. The draw effect in particular is quite slow since 7 mana is quite a lot of pay for something that draws. I'd probably give this a solid B+ for design.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1911 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Good luck to the finalists :)

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2110 2110 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

MrRhapsody takes our first gold of the season.

Congratulations to MrRhapsody!

Congrats! Very cool card :)

• MrRhapsody's Avatar Child of the Night 770 110 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Wow, I REALLY wasn't expeting to win that one to be honest, but I'm glad I did, thanks guys!

Do you also like Elden Ring? Then you should check out my Elden Ring inspired Duels Heroes!

• sinti's Avatar Global Moderator Chocolate Cake 2050 2614 Posts Joined 10/20/2018

CG! It was a good card design but f**************************k Abyssal Curses :D

Core Set 2021 - Year of the GryphonHearthstone Mercenaries
    ~ Have an idea? Found a bug? Let us know! ~
    ~ Join us on Discord ~

• anchorm4n's Avatar 1690 1856 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Congrats! Guess today I learned not to submit half assed cards when I don't have the time for something better. Whelp! 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

Congrats! Guess today I learned not to submit half assed cards when I don't have the time for something better. Whelp! 

I don't think people disliked your card's effect, but the fact it was trying to remake an existing card. If you had used a different name and art, it may have even reached the finals IMO.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.