That Sinking Feeling - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

Fan Creator 235 13 Posts Joined 02/25/2021
    Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I think Shipsinker doesn't match the rules of this card competition. The rules at the top state the cards need to be placed at the bottom of your deck, not the opponent's.

Design Finalist 250 25 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

...ah fuck I just noticed that the version I submitted has its effect as a Battlecry and not Deathrattle as I intended.

Dammit, I'm gonna lose points in the flavor department.

"From break and ruin, the most beautiful performance begins"

Fan Creator 405 134 Posts Joined 06/18/2019

I didn't plan to be realy active this week, but I just want to let know @linkblade that both of their cards are extremely weak. Why would I want to spend 1 Mana and a card in hand for a mediocre card in my deck?

Ok

Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1907 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

You're probably right, @ChickyChick, so I came up with something new. I still want to incentivize the player to go get the item, but now you at least get something respectable even if you don't jump through the hoops:

If Fenek dies the Boomerang will come back and you'll equip it, but you lose out on the Battlecry. If you go through the effort to obtain the weapon yourself, you'll be rewarded (and maybe get a pat on the back from your teacher). Time for a training montage!

PS: I want everyone to know how hard it was to find good, usable art related to boomerangs lol :P

PPS: Feedback is next. Turns out I'm positive for Covid, which might help explain why I've felt sluggish and off. I'll get there eventually.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

The aforementioned feedback:

Show Spoiler

Cheese - As SkeithDE alluded to, the prompt asks that we put cards at the bottom of our own decks, and Shipsinker unfortunately does not.

SkeithDE - This is evil, but in a way that's appropriate for the Rogue. You might get junk, but you could also get their Sunken card; sounds about right for the Thief archetype.

Wailor - I like Marine Manipulator, now that it is a minion. Much more fair. Coiling Chronomancer is fine, but only being one spell means you want something impactful and big, and what good options are there currently? The Manipulator has a Big Beast feel to it, to the point where I'd almost suggest removing the Beast tag from this minion so it doesn't disrupt your deck.

LarryMoments - Of the various buttons, I also prefer the 1-mana version. All-around, I like it: Warrior cards with the Pirate tag are scary nowadays, but this doesn't really fit in that particular deck so it should be fine.

Demonxz95 - I personally think the Shaman one is more interesting, because it's more out-of-the-box in regards to its tag and what kind of deck the Shaman would be looking to create. The Warrior card is a more straight-forward inclusion, so maybe go with that one 'cause it's more "natural".

AeroJulwin - I don't care too much about things like "oh no, Sidequest in the wrong expansion!" Who's to say they didn't make a one-off Sidequest, just like when they make one-off Legendary spells or Legendary weapons? I don't think anyone expected The Fist of Ra-den when it came out, for example. All-in-all, I think you're good to go.

MrRhapsody - The problem with Pressure Exchange, in my opinion, is that the minion does not die. This means you can't utilize Tamsin's Phylactery, for example, or any-other card with a similar requirement of the minion having been dead. You get a quick proc of their Deathrattle, and can do so again later I suppose, but you've lost a minion on the table which could be a problem. For 0-Mana I can see it being okay, but I'd have to see it in action.

Neoguli - I agree with the earlier feedback that putting The First Seal on the bottom of one's deck is a problem. Without Dredge back then, it would come too late and not be as impactful. Spare Recycler is the better card by default.

Arkasaur - I prefer Shadow Word: Drown, even if it would piss me off lol. You appear good to go.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Child of the Night 770 109 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Honestly, I feel like both of my cards kinda suck but I'm not feeling like making another, So I did two new versions of Pressure Exchange based on feedback, which is the best name, class and effect for it? Should a make a mix of them? Or just go with the original? (And also, the Priest version uses the same wording as Ambassador Faelin, so it puts 3 random minions in the deck, don't be confused)

Anyway, a quick feedback in a weird order:

Show Spoiler

Demon: I still think Shaman fits better.

Wailor: Yeah, despite the amazing flavour, your cards had some issues, but still, you managed to make clever adaptations. So about the new cards, the new Coiling Chronomancer is kinda boring and week, but Marine Manipulator is almost as good as the secret. It still has that "If the bottom card is not a minion" problem, but it seens most people here are not too worried about it, and honestly I have no idea how to adjust the problem without killing the flavour, so I'll say you should just submmit as it is and clarify the interaction in the description.

SkeithDE: The minion version is pretty neat! It could use a 1 or even 2 Health buff since the pay off is not immediate for neither players.

Cheese: Welp, nice card, but rules are rules, you should think of something else, since I don't think there's a way to adjust the current card without breaking the flavour, mechanics or rules.

Linkblade: I was going to say that the new It's the Big One was awesome but weak, but now that I see your new card, know that it is amazing! Both flavour and mechanic wise. I'm just not sure about balance, giving a Windfury weapon to a class with Weapon buffs is quite scary, specially with 6 durability, but maybe that is just my Rogue haterism speaking, but I still suggest you to wait a bit for more feedback. Off topic: Sucks that you got Covid,  but sure you'll get better in no time, cheers!

Do you also like Elden Ring? Then you should check out my Elden Ring inspired Duels Heroes!

Quote From MrRhapsody

Anyway, a quick feedback in a weird order:

Show Spoiler

Linkblade: I was going to say that the new It's the Big One was awesome but weak, but now that I see your new card, know that it is amazing! Both flavour and mechanic wise. I'm just not sure about balance, giving a Windfury weapon to a class with Weapon buffs is quite scary, specially with 6 durability, but maybe that is just my Rogue haterism speaking, but I still suggest you to wait a bit for more feedback. Off topic: Sucks that you got Covid,  but sure you'll get better in no time, cheers!

I like the new Warlock iteration the most, but maybe that's because I'm so worried about Bootstrap Sunkeneer-ing your own minion. It's that or the original; whichever you think is more balanced.

For my Boomerang, do you have any suggestion as-to what I could replace the Windfury with? My brain is kind of foggy today, and I can't think of another good payoff effect (just +3 Durability is kind of...meh).

Thanks for the kind words, as well :)

270 160 Posts Joined 05/30/2019
    Quote From SkeithDE

I think Shipsinker doesn't match the rules of this card competition. The rules at the top state the cards need to be placed at the bottom of your deck, not the opponent's.

Oh well. I'll pass on this one then.

Design Champion 530 529 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Very late feedback:

linkblade
    First of all, I hope covid gets easy on you and you recover soon ❤️

Even if Windfury is usually a Shaman or Neutral keyword, I don't think it's much of an issue here. I mean, Rogues are known for enchanting weapons and exceptions to these soft rules exist (like Al'Akir the Windlord having Divine Shield) and Windfury fits a boomerang like a T. If you're worried about it, you could make it a Shaman card (boomerangs are sort of a tribal thing, so it'd make sense), but the card feels more Rogue to me.

My main issue is the lack of tools to pull the card, but I guess this hypothetical expansion could have a keyword similar to Dredge or even belong to the Year of the Hydra.

All in all, I like this better than your previous cards and I think it has a good chance of winning the comp.

About your feedback, I made a non-Beast version of the Manipulator, but I still think I'll go with the previous one. This one has an overall worse feel, I believe.

MrRhapsody
    Both versions are more balanced now. I think I like the Warlock one better. The fact it's a Warlock card is sort of a good thing for this effect, as double trigger can be very strong for a class with a lot of good Deathrattles (I mean, look at how expensive Necrium Vial is.

Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2100 2104 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

You've got less than 24 hours to submit. Let's go.

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Good luck to our future finalists! I'm assuming it won't be me lel

Congratulations to Demon!

Design Champion 530 529 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Grats, Demon!

Design Finalist 250 25 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Ayooo poggers!

"From break and ruin, the most beautiful performance begins"

Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2100 2104 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Ah, I was outside when it happened, but this is pretty sick! Thank you all.

Child of the Night 770 109 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Congrats!

Do you also like Elden Ring? Then you should check out my Elden Ring inspired Duels Heroes!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.