Double Identity - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• BasilAnguis's Avatar Dragon Scholar 730 346 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Alright so, seems most people did not vibe with the weapon. That kinda makes me sad because, it's impossible to not include Shalamayne in a dual class King Anduin card. it's iconic! So, here is a new idea:

This version is a bit less paladin-ish. yes you still get a weapon but you have a choice! Swing it for 3 heal on a single target or wait out for the radiating damage instead. If the enemy has a couple or no minions attacking is better. But if they have a full board and generally play a swarmy deck, not swinging is more beneficial. My idea of making a weapon that can also be more caster/passive (how priest usually has them).

Now onto the Hero power. This i'm afraid that people won't realize what it does. it doesn't heal, It gives Health! So you can both make yourself and a minion tankier, playing more into that buffer/high health theme. The fact your max hp can go over 30 now means healing stuff is also better to play in your deck, less wasted value on overheal, something both paladin and priest love.

Finally the battlecry. Just wanted to reinforce the Holy synergy, still keep that in.

I'll boop you 

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1914 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Struggling with this one to find an idea I truly like. With that in mind, I came up with another card: It's Daelin Proudmoore, Father of Jaina and major hater of the Horde. So consumed by vengeance, he could not see that the Horde was trying to change its ways; eventually Rexxar and his allies were forced to put him down.

The Battlecry is nice draw, but you have to be behind on the board for it to have max effectiveness: this means it won't be nearly as good for Aggro players. Gameplay-wise, the way I see it, the Hero Power Discovers a Secret of either class, and that gets mixed with a Secret from the other class with the same trigger. So if you pick Dirty Tricks, it can combine with Pressure Plate or Cat Trick. Would come with other Secrets, of course, to fill out the options.

This took longer than I thought; meant to include feedback in this post but I'm really tired.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 540 532 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

My card was rightfully perceived as weak, so I made two new versions.

The first version is basically AeroJulwin's idea with a cost increase of 1. I think it was a pretty good suggestion, but has the issue of surpassing Druid's AoE weakness.

The second one simply reduces the Mana cost to 3, which is more appropriate for the power level of the card. However, I think such a low cost is a bit scary for a Hero card, especially considering its combo potential (even if it seems to require a lot of cards to pull off).

Both versions keep the original HP, which was the best part of the card, IMO.

Some late feedback:

Demonxz95
    I think the new version reads a lot better. You should be ready to go, even if my issue with class identity still remains.

MrRhapsody
    Switching the Battlecry and the HP was a pretty good change.

Keep in mind that the power level now is significantly lower, though. Not being able to chain infinite spells is a good change, but now you also need to pay 2 extra Mana for the card to have an effect at all in the turn it's played. I'm quite bad at balancing, but you could consider reducing the Cost to 6 Mana.

BasilAnguis
    This is an improvement over the last iteration, but the effects seem a bit too disconnected. This is usually the case with Hero cards, but since yours has effectively three effects, it's a bit more prevalent.

My suggestion would be to make Shalamayne's effect trigger whenever you cast a Holy spell. This gives you more control over the effect and makes the Battlecry feel much more cohesive.

linkblade91
    I like this card much better than your previous ones, especially the Hero Power part.

The only thing I'm not convinced about is the character. I always felt Admiral Proudmoore was a Paladin-Shaman hybrid, at least from his incarnation in Warcraft 3. A better character would be Tess Greymane, I believe, as she was already a Rogue-Hunter hybrid and had a lot of Secret synergies in the Monster Hunt mode.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1914 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Thank you Wailor for mentioning Tess' dual-roles in Monster Hunt: that really helped me finish the card in a way that made me happy :)

Rather late feedback, so I'll keep it short:

Show Spoiler

Wailor - I prefer the 5-mana version with the Cleave. Cool card.

BasilAnguis - Your Hero card has the Classic/Legacy watermark. I also agree with Wailor.

MrRhapsody - Your latest version is best. Harder for the Mage to utilize, but they benefit more from the SD.

Demonxz95 - This seems nuts, especially for the Shaman given Brilliant Macaw and Shudderwock. Could we see an hour-long Battlecry play out?

Neoguli - Saw your submission: hopefully there are enough Neutral Demons for the Mage to utilize the Battlecry.

AeroJulwin - We'll see "Hero attack on enemy turn" effects until it finally happens lol. The Hero Power could maybe be a +2 instead, but I'm nit-picking.

anchorm4n - Your submitted version is much more consistent and the Hero Power makes more sense. Nicely done.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• R's Avatar Design Champion 975 690 Posts Joined 04/23/2020

I didn't notice that it was necessary to create a hero card. Facepalm.

You have 24 hours and 38 seconds to submit!

Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Good luck to the finalists :)

Congratulations to Loknax!

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2110 2111 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Hey, a brand new face joins our list of winners!

I've opened up a feedback thread for you all to talk about how you believe the competitions can be improved. Historically, we haven't had enough time to implement changes and a large part of that is because our down-time tends to be taken up with expansion reveal seasons, so asking during the season as opposed to after it should give us a lot more time to discuss the finer details and for us to be more actively involved with you guys in how these competitions are run.

https://outof.cards/forums/fan-creations/custom-hearthstone/20921-wcdc-season-5-feedback-thread

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.