Ensemble Cast - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 260 96 Posts Joined 07/08/2021
    Posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Admittedly, I kinda just looked at what art I had previously saved. I did however think a gladiator makes sense. They could face all kinds of creatures in the arena. Wild beasts, smaller drakes, perhaps even untamable elementals and low-level demons, or pirates who have been given an opportunity to fight for their freedom. All to entertain the masses. I do agree the current art is a bit too undead, so I'll look for something more fitting.

I may have underestimated how easy it is to play multiple minion types. Should I remove the initial 1 damage on the battlecry?

Feedback

Demonxz95
    I like Tisha Darkblight better. I do agree with the Cost being too low.

Animal Caretaker I also a nice card, but I'm afraid the large requirement on the battlecry makes it a little less likeable. It's a big hit-or-miss.

Wailor
    Erudite of Duality isn't my favorite because Hearthstone always feels a little hesitant when it comes to minions with sheer stats that can easily be played on-curve.

I don't like the second version of Marine Biologist either, because it could still work fine in a deck with only a single of the three types. I do very much like its third version.

Naga + Murloc seems like a tough combo, since Naga are very spell-centered while generally you'd want to have as many Murlocs(=minions) in your deck as possible.

linkblade91
    I like how this works in menagerie decks. My concern is its ability to cheat out specific minions in other decks, in which case I agree its Cost is too low.

BasilAnguis
    True Collector probably doesn't qualify. And I agree The Class Trainer could use vanilla stats.

Arkasaur
    I think I like Grim Incantations a little better. I do think spells should have an effect without requirements. May I recommend the same effect I used for my card? (Trigger the effect once guaranteed, repeat for each school/type)

Neoguli
    Solid card, not much to add.

BloodMeFist
    I prefer Darkmoon Security. It's always fun to summon extra copies of your minions and it synergizes well with handbuffs. Fin-friendly Bronzescale is very interesting, but it encourages you too only include a handful of Murlocs to make sure you always summon ones with high stats or Deathrattles. It's all fun and games until they release a Murloc Giant.

MrRhapsody
    I don't think the requirement is nearly enough to justify a 3-Cost upgraded Blizzard, but I do think Thermal Shocker has a lot of potential. Showmaster Thisley is also quite cheap at only 5 Mana.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1911 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

I'll bump up the Zealous Zoologist to 3/3/3; hopefully that's good?

Show Spoiler

MrRhapsody - I agree with AeroJulwin: the condition seems easy for a 3/3/3 with an upgraded Blizzard effect, especially when Flurry (Rank 1) exists in the same Year and is used in basically every deck. It's a neat idea, though, with interesting art.

Neoguli - Seems good to go. I didn't think it needed to be more wordy, but if other people prefer it that's fine.

BloodMefist - I like the idea of the Bronzescale, but it seems a little wonky right now. It's more interesting than the Warrior card, too; I would continue to explore it.

Wailor - The Epic version of Marine Biologist is interesting, but I don't know how practical it is to have all three of those types in your deck simultaneously. The Rare version seems more likely to be used, in my opinion; I'd go with that one.

BasilAnguis - The weapon card is neat, but it's not okay for this comp. Class Trainer is better, certainly, but some will frown on a "one time effect" on a card you could run multiples of, if-only because the second copy is kind of useless. Your Legendary is the best option, so I'd go with that one (after you give them a name).

Arkasaur - Gift of N'Zoth is cool; I like that one more. Grim Incantations is too niche in my opinion.

AeroJulwin - I like the idea of the Gladiator who gets better based on how many minion types they've defeated/sparred with. I don't feel it's well represented, unfortunately, but maybe it's the art that's messing with the message. I agree with trying to find another image.

Demonxz95 - Animal Caretaker seems like a win-more scenario: if you manage to fulfill the condition you're likely winning the board already. I agree with the others in-that Tisha's combination with certain buffs could be a problem.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 540 531 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

@AeroJulwin About the rare version of the Marine Biologist, I was assuming he would only show you two options if you run two types, or simply draw a card if you only run one. Thus, you can use it in a mono type deck, but you'd lose flexibility. I think it's best suited for a mono type deck that runs one (or both) of the other types, like a Naga deck with Slimescale Diver and a Colossal Beast or (in Wild) a Murloc deck with Gentle Megasaur. This way, you can always get your tech/finisher cards, while still making sure the Battlecry always does something.

MrRhapsody
    I like your card, specially the name, but I think it should only target minions if it doesn't make the text too small.

AeroJulwin
    I didn't think of the connection between gladiator and multi-type, but now that you explained it, makes sense. However, as it's not very obvious, you could double down and rename the card as Gladiator of N'zoth, which would also fit the artwork pretty well IMO.

I also like the change of not having an initial 1 damage.

linkblade91
    I prefer the new statline you proposed.

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 260 96 Posts Joined 07/08/2021
    Quote From Wailor

@AeroJulwin About the rare version of the Marine Biologist, I was assuming he would only show you two options if you run two types, or simply draw a card if you only run one. Thus, you can use it in a mono type deck, but you'd lose flexibility.

Right, not sure what I was thinking. Both are good options then, but I see the Rare version doing better. It makes for more interesting deckbuilding.

• Dolphinslayer's Avatar 105 8 Posts Joined 04/06/2022

Not that mage needed the help with quest line completion, but having minions to interact with is better than playing solitaire I feel

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2110 2110 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Tisha Darkblight seems to be the more favored of my two cards. I have bumped it from a 3 mana 2/3 to a 4 mana 3/4.

MrRhapsody

Thermal Shocker is definitely my favorite of the two cards, although I think I agree about the condition being quite easy for a strong effect. It doesn't seem too egregiously strong compared to Lightmaw Netherdrake, but it's definitely strong.

Showmaster Thisley seems easy to abuse, especially at only 5 mana, but I do like the idea you have.

Linkblade91
    3 mana 3/3 Zealous Zoologist seems pretty good to me.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1560 1911 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

If you haven't already, you have less than a day to submit!

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Good luck to the finalists!

Congratulations to Chegwin!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.