Absolute Unit - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1610 2010 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 days, 14 hours ago
    Quote From Moondreamer

Hey! This week's competition looks fun, so I'm trying to participate. This is the design I've come up with and submitted:

Hey there, welcome to our little side of things :D Always nice to see new faces.

To go along with what R said about the location reappearing, there are some who will frown on the fact that your card is in the Uldum set (when it couldn't possibly exist yet with both Colossal and locations). I think your idea is very creative, though, so I wouldn't let nit-picky details get in the way haha. The flavor of it is great. Just...something to think about for next time: if you want that truly "authentic" feel, it would need a custom expansion watermark.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• BloodMefist's Avatar Content Squad Old God Fanatic 825 717 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 days, 12 hours ago

Super duper late feedback seeking:

I like Big Demons and I cannot lie. Archimonde is intended to work with the fact that if the attack target dies before the attack goes through, the attacking minion can attack again. It's a bit of a niche mechanic, but I thought it was flavorful and provides powerful board clear potential. Sargeras adds some potential lethality to token demon hunter, but only if he is played from hand directly. Cheating him out is still very powerful, but you won't get as big of a swing with his blade. The "Also damages all enemies" works like other cleaving effects we've seen, such as Sweeping Strikes or Stonebound Gargon, just damaging everything instead of just adjacent things.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1610 2010 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 days, 12 hours ago
    Quote From BloodMefist

Super duper late feedback seeking

I like Sargeras more than Archimonde. Using the Blade of Sargeras in that way is cool. Just two things:

• While he created the Burning Legion, Sargeras is not a Demon - he is a Titan. This would actually help balance the card, in my opinion, because then he cannot be Discovered from Netherwalker, copied from Felosophy, cheated out, etc.
    • Being, you know, the Demon Hunter, the class comes into direct conflict with Sargeras and the Burning Legion; to have him be a DH card is odd. They use Demons and Fel magic to fight other Demons, certainly, but they ultimately seek the defeat of the Burning Legion. I'd maybe make him Neutral: that gives the Warlock a chance, as well, and while the DH can obviously still use Sargeras there wouldn't be as big a disconnect in flavor.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Posted 2 days, 16 hours ago

6.5 hours left to submit!

Posted 2 days, 9 hours ago

Next time ya'll need to double-check the order in which you submit your Colossal card tokens: it makes a difference based on the art you used :P When Colossal minions are summoned, their tokens come out on either side based on what the art depicts; I wouldn't say it detracted from my voting, but it looks silly if the cards aren't in the correct order.

...I might be the only one who cares about this lol.

Posted 1 day, 10 hours ago

Good luck to the finalists!

Posted 9 hours ago

Congratulations to Moondreamer! A winner right out of the gate :D

• Moondreamer's Avatar Child of the Night 335 4 Posts Joined 03/16/2021
    Posted 9 hours ago
    Quote From linkblade91

Congratulations to Moondreamer! A winner right out of the gate :D

Thanks! Did not expect that, especially considering the fact that the card was a bit flawed. Still, I'm happy the idea caught on!

Good luck to everyone else for the next competition! :)

I made a fun custom expansion called Holidays at Un'Gol Island. You should check it out :)

• AeroJulwin's Avatar Fan Creator 285 120 Posts Joined 07/08/2021
    Posted 9 hours ago

Congrats Moondreamer!

Quote From linkblade91
    Next time ya'll need to double-check the order in which you submit your Colossal card tokens: it makes a difference based on the art you used :P When Colossal minions are summoned, their tokens come out on either side based on what the art depicts; I wouldn't say it detracted from my voting, but it looks silly if the cards aren't in the correct order.

…I might be the only one who cares about this lol.

Sorry for the late reply, my browser didn't show new comments for some reason.

I actually submitted my token before the main card, because the effect of the body doesn't make much sense if you don't read the token's effect first. I guess token before card may have looked weird, but it's definitely an exception anyway.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.