By Your Powers Combined - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad 525 727 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 days, 23 hours ago
    Quote From Swizard

Show Spoiler

Any thoughts on how to improve this?  The effect is very powerful but it takes a minimum of 10 turns to achieve and it can be tough to manage your hand without burning cards at the end as you need to fill your hand with Essences of Doom.  Maybe it is actually too weak?

A few things to note:

• Legendary minions all have proper names, so you should have one on this card too.
    • It's a little too obvious in my opinion that Essence of Doom uses the same art as the base card, so you might want to change it. It's also missing the watermark.
    • Call Doom uses the art for Mirror of Doom, so you should find new art. It also needs "Hero Power" in bold at the top.

The effect is interesting to say the least. Effects that destroy the enemy hero are impossible to judge since they're usually either way OP or unplayably difficult. I'm tempted to say that yours falls closer to the latter simply due to the number of turns you need and you effectively lose your Hero Power in the process.

• Swizard's Avatar Fan Creator 135 32 Posts Joined 04/30/2020
    Posted 3 days, 22 hours ago

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Here is the new version, I think the art was definitely an issue.  After further thinking about balance, I think reducing the number will make it too easy to have a one card win condition vs slow decks as you don't have to devote your whole deck to it unlike Mechathun which requires a combo.  With having to only have few cards that are not Essence of Doom the turns before you win, you have to balance when you are ready to add Essences of Doom to your hand and maybe even slow decks can win before then.  On the other hand, this makes it easier for fast decks to win as you have less hand slots for cards but you can run them out of value with control tools and set up a taunt wall before going for the win condition.  I think this will be more fair and interesting than Mechathun as Mechathun goes off before turn 10 consistently in warlock.  You usually try to draw through your deck as soon as possible and then just win.  With this, the fact that it clogs up your hand and spends mana makes it so that it is not always the best choice to play every turn.

edit: I tried to add a watermark but it does not get added, I am using hearthcards.net

Quote From Swizard

Show Spoiler

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Here is the new version, I think the art was definitely an issue.  After further thinking about balance, I think reducing the number will make it too easy to have a one card win condition vs slow decks as you don't have to devote your whole deck to it unlike Mechathun which requires a combo.  With having to only have few cards that are not Essence of Doom the turns before you win, you have to balance when you are ready to add Essences of Doom to your hand and maybe even slow decks can win before then.  On the other hand, this makes it easier for fast decks to win as you have less hand slots for cards but you can run them out of value with control tools and set up a taunt wall before going for the win condition.  I think this will be more fair and interesting than Mechathun as Mechathun goes off before turn 10 consistently in warlock.  You usually try to draw through your deck as soon as possible and then just win.  With this, the fact that it clogs up your hand and spends mana makes it so that it is not always the best choice to play every turn.

edit: I tried to add a watermark but it does not get added, I am using hearthcards.net

To add a watermark onto a card without a rarity, click the "Custom" watermark option, and then there will be a box that says "Force Apply Emblem (for Basic Cards)". Tick that box, and your most recently applied watermark will be applied to the card.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 540 813 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Quote From Swizard

To apply a watermark without a rarity gem, after selecting your watermark, you have to choose "Custom" watermark and bring up that menu. One of the things you can then pick is "Force apply emblem"; that's what you need. You can also click on "Force apply Dragon" for Legendary tokens.

Hearthcards doesn't tell you that, unfortunately; you have to find it on your own.

Edit: ninja'd.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Pokeniner's Avatar 80 17 Posts Joined 03/25/2020
    Posted 3 days, 3 hours ago

@Swizard, nice idea in theory, but you also need to remember Warlock now has Control Heavy clears, 12 Hand max Holds and Wild can easily hero power combo into an OTK. It seems weak in general, but atm in Standard where Warlock can hold more than 10 and still have ton of clears in hand (especially with Dark Skies) I think it's too strong. Maybe "If your hand is almost full, destroy the enemy hero." Clarifying "Almost" seems simple enough to new players seeing a full hand means you can't draw. So if you're almost full, you probably can only draw 1 more card.

Posted 3 days, 2 hours ago

To have more than 12, you need to draw Valdris Felgorge first and then still have to play this minion and use the hero power 10 times while having to empty your hand and play all cards in it.  In the standard meta even against something slow like resurrect priest it is not certain the warlock can survive for 10 turns.  In wild, I think Mechathun warlock is too one dimensional and this would fit more in a control tool like Renolock.  Renolock is currently weaker than Reno Priest and Mage as it is the only one without a good finisher, and I was envisioning this card in Renolock as a potential finisher that can be strong but not oppressive.  Compared to Rin, the First Disciple which often destroys only a few cards in their deck by the time you activate its condition, this will let Renolock have a way to win in the end of the game.  It's definitely hard to predict exactly how good this card would be but I think for autowin cards like this it's better to have them weaker so they don't turn into Mechathun decks which have very linear playstyles.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 540 813 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 days, 1 hour ago

Submissions are now closed. Good luck to everyone in the voting, and good luck to our future finalists come tomorrow :)

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Theodrinus's Avatar Design Finalist 295 81 Posts Joined 12/05/2019
    Posted 2 days ago

Dear site staff, any chance that a link, showing additional tokens for my submission, Hamuul Runetotem, can be added next to my entry in the finalist phase? The card submission system didn't allow all 10 of them to be added. They are in this album: https://imgur.com/a/hufht4P which was included in the submission description, but those aren't included in the voting phase. I believe it is important to showcase them, as it helps in understanding all of the options, as well as all possible combinations having their own unique name and art for more flavour.

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 420 249 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 1 day, 23 hours ago
    Quote From Theodrinus

Dear site staff, any chance that a link, showing additional tokens for my submission, Hamuul Runetotem, can be added next to my entry in the finalist phase? The card submission system didn't allow all 10 of them to be added. They are in this album: https://imgur.com/a/hufht4P which was included in the submission description, but those aren't included in the voting phase. I believe it is important to showcase them, as it helps in understanding all of the options, as well as all possible combinations having their own unique name and art for more flavour.

Short answer: No, your submission stands on its own.

Long answer: The way our current submission system works isn't very friendly to entries which include a lot of tokens. Another one of the finalists had to sneak in two tokens as one image for what is realistically quite a simple design. That finalist - and your own entry - are a bit of a grey area, since technically they're subverting the rules put in place on submissions.

These rules are there for a good reason. Realistically, your entry doesn't need all the extra tokens to be understood, and allowing all of them to be added would unnecessarily bloat the entry. Since our system is entirely automated, we would have no way (currently) of hiding those extra tokens, meaning that your entry would fill the page.

Now, a different system for submitting tokens is high on my priority list for improvements to the WCDC. Ideally I'd like them to be hidden come the initial voting and finals; probably in a spoiler which can then be revealed, to save space. That won't happen until next Season at the earliest, however.

Until that time, submissions must stand on their own. Anything in the description will not be featured in the finals. We'll be looking for feedback at the end of the Season, and a couple of things I'll be specifically asking about include the number of tokens allowed per entry, the description box featuring in the finals, and how people feel about additional materials being present in the description at all. For the rest of the Season, we would ask that people try and keep their submissions to just the single card and additional token or two.

Welcome to the site!

• Dermostatic's Avatar 110 46 Posts Joined 03/31/2019
    Posted 1 day, 23 hours ago

Good luck to all the finalists, what a creative week! Stormshape stands out for me as a particularly interesting concept.

On another note, I'm really glad Talon King Ikiss made it; I love anything C'Thun related.

Started playing in May, 2015. The bad news: I missed the excitement of 'Naxx out?' and GvG. The good news: I never met an Undertaker.

• KANSAS's Avatar 960 1814 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 1 day, 21 hours ago

Congrats to the finalists! I would like to ask for more feedback on my card. What did you vote and why? Where did I fall short? And what should I have done better? Thanks in advance!

My card:

Show Spoiler

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• BasilAnguis's Avatar 335 163 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 day, 18 hours ago

I looked over previous competitions and i was surprised by how low the scores actually are. None are over 4, most are between 2 and 3, maybe 3 and a bit. That to me seems super low, like if someone bombed them with 1 star ratings. How do you people vote on cards? What are your rating systems? Just curious cause now i feel i gave everyone way higher scores than they deserved.

I'll boop you 

• Neoguli's Avatar Malfurion 195 127 Posts Joined 06/25/2019
    Posted 1 day, 15 hours ago

It probably comes from the fact people want to see only their card in the finals. I'm not gonna lie that I feel a bit of a disappointment for my card to not enter the finals, but I did not drop bombshells on every card. I did rate a lot of them pretty low though mostly because of existence of cards like Sir Finley Mrrglton, and some felt too bland, as they simply changed their Hero Power and nothing else - I thought people would experiment more with the Hero Power usage time like I did with Deductive Learning.

Hearthcards deck creating enthusiast. Also previously known on Hearthpwn as Cooler39140 and Huoyan.

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 510 612 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 1 day, 15 hours ago

On the one hand, I liked the creativity this week, lots of different approaches and cool ideas. On the other hand, I didn't rate any submission 5 stars for the first time, because all of them had at least one little flaw in my opinion. That said, I did give out a lot of 4 star ratings, so yeah, it's curious how the low ratings come together. But then, as long as they are consistently low on average, that shouldn't be a problem.

@KANSAS: I gave you 4 stars because I didn't like the statline. 2/4 would have made the deal for me. How did you like my Tarecgosa?

Show Spoiler

Double the pride, double the fall.

Posted 1 day, 8 hours ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

On the one hand, I liked the creativity this week, lots of different approaches and cool ideas. On the other hand, I didn't rate any submission 5 stars for the first time, because all of them had at least one little flaw in my opinion. That said, I did give out a lot of 4 star ratings, so yeah, it's curious how the low ratings come together. But then, as long as they are consistently low on average, that shouldn't be a problem.

@KANSAS: I gave you 4 stars because I didn't like the statline. 2/4 would have made the deal for me. How did you like my Tarecgosa?

Show Spoiler

I wasen't all too confident on the stat-line, but I figured that because it had to survive for at least 3 turns to really get any value out of it, I thought that a lot of health was the way to go.

About your card, I don't remember if I gave it 3 or 2 stars. Voting was really hard this time around because it can be really hard to know how OP a Hero Power can be without playtesting it. On one hand, because of the Deathrattle it was really slow, but on the other hand, it gave you near infinite value which is pretty scary. 

Posted 1 day, 8 hours ago
    Quote From BasilAnguis

I looked over previous competitions and i was surprised by how low the scores actually are. None are over 4, most are between 2 and 3, maybe 3 and a bit. That to me seems super low, like if someone bombed them with 1 star ratings. How do you people vote on cards? What are your rating systems? Just curious cause now i feel i gave everyone way higher scores than they deserved.

For a card to get a rating of over 4, more than two thirds of the votes would have to be either 4 or 5 stars. Because so many people are voting and different people have different opinions, the average card would on average get an average of 3. If it is a good card, it would average over 3, if it is bad, it would average less than 3. If it is really bad, it would average below two. If a card gets a score of 3.5, then more than half of the people liked it, and it is a good card.

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 420 249 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 1 day, 2 hours ago
    Quote From BasilAnguis

For a card to get over 4 stars, it'd have to be impressively good. Remember, the only option that will push a card above a 4 is a 5 - that means that a card needs to be good enough to consistently get 4s and 5s.

40 5-stars, 40 4-stars, and 10 each of 2 and 1? Sounds like a really well-liked card, right? 3.9 stars overall.

It's not always completely intuitive, but a rating of 3+ is actually really good. Even ratings like 2.5 can mean your card was well-liked, it was just polarising.

Welcome to the site!

Posted 1 day, 1 hour ago

For some reason, a huge number of my submissions tend to have significantly more 1-star and 5-star votes than most of the other cards around it.

I think this is maybe the sixth or seventh time this has happened.

Posted 1 day, 1 hour ago

Congratulations to LutriSpellcaster! One quick note: Siege Engine already exists as a card, so your card would have needed another name lol :P

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.