Remove Ads - Go Premium

Name That Card! - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 485 272 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 3 weeks, 1 day ago

Competition Theme: Name That Card!

Collectible cards is the name of the game this week!

Wailor wants to see our collections in the competition this week!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Jun 22 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, Jun 27 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Jun 27 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, Jun 28 16:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Jun 28 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, Jun 29 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 36 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Feel like my last couple of entries have been too out there so decided to go simpler this time around and want more Libram support printed.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 867 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Cg8889

Feel like my last couple of entries have been too out there so decided to go simpler this time around and want more Libram support printed.

This unfortunately is not eligible.

From the rules: "Your card cannot pick randomly from a subset of cards - it must be specific"

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 951 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Cg8889

That card wouldn't work for this theme, because the Libram is not specified. It would be fine if the Libram was specific and not random.

Ninja'd.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 36 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From Cg8889

From the rules: "Your card cannot pick randomly from a subset of cards - it must be specific"

Then shouldn't Imprisoned Gan'arg also not be an example since it doesn't specifically state Fiery War Axe?

Get why my example doesn't work cause Libram isn't specific enough; just wanting to figure out what can and cannot work. Thanks!

• Elfensilver's Avatar Goblin 330 358 Posts Joined 03/14/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Quote From Competition rules
    Your card cannot pick randomly… […]

Does that mean that discovering from a Pool limited by name (e. G. Breaths, Explorers, Librams) is fine? 

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 951 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Cg8889
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From Cg8889

Then shouldn't Imprisoned Gan'arg also not be an example since it doesn't specifically state Fiery War Axe?

Get why my example doesn't work cause Libram isn't specific enough; just wanting to figure out what can and cannot work. Thanks!

I was inclined to side with you, but Shadows says it's fine: "3/2 Axe" is close enough of a description to get the idea across. Gan'arg does in fact produce a FWA, and not a similar token.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 867 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Cg8889
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From Cg8889

Not quite since Imprisoned Gan'arg only generates one card, the Fiery War Axe, and it specifies "3/2 Axe" making it clear that you're generating said axe.

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Elfensilver

Does that mean that discovering from a Pool limited by name (e. G. Breaths, Explorers, Librams) is fine? 

No: we want you to produce one/a few specific cards directly. Discovering a Libram is much like discovering a random Beast, even if the pool is significantly smaller.

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 485 272 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Elfensilver

No - we're looking for a specific card to be generated, with no variance in what the card can be.

In regards to cards like Imprisoned Gan'arg or Bear Trap, we're fine with fudging the name a little (maybe for aesthetic purposes) so long as it's clear enough which collectible card you're referring to. If in doubt, write the name out!

Welcome to the site!

Posted 3 weeks ago

I just have two ideas at the moment. Similar situation as last time: the Druid card is from my custom expansion, and the Paladin card is a rough draft.  Edit: Going through my old cards, I found Volcanic Guardian. It's the next step up in the chain, creating Igneous Elementals that then create Flame Elementals.

• Elfensilver's Avatar Goblin 330 358 Posts Joined 03/14/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

To further clarify: does it have to be a collectible card? Or would a card that adds a Flame Elemental, coin or a specific animal companion to your hand be valid? 

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From Elfensilver

To further clarify: does it have to be a collectible card? Or would a card that adds a Flame Elemental, coin or a specific animal companion to your hand be valid? 

Gotta be collectible

Posted 3 weeks ago

Idea numero uno!

Deadly Poison

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1952 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Remember my card from 2 competitions ago that didn't work in the discussion thread? Well I am going to bring that idea back to life.

"The shady streets of Gadgetzan where the dentists have fake licenses and get pain in fake money"

What do you think?

*edit* I just realized that "Counterfeit Coin" should be in single quotes. But other than that what do you think?

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• BloodMefist's Avatar Design Finalist 250 167 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Ah, that lovely time of week when the new contest rolls in and the creative juices get pumping again.  Finally succeeded in my mission to make it to finals and now setting my sights to winning a contest (although it's very hard and unlikely).  A bit unsure when the quotation marks need to be added, but I think they don't need it if they're summoned and do if it is another effect (not 100% on this).

Ishanah pushes control Priest by offering a potentially huge way of stabilizing against aggressive matchups.  Against other control matchups its a bit more difficult to get value since Lightwell doesn't offer the same threat level it does to aggressive decks.  Lightwell is a card that basically never ever gets seen in games and is widely considered to be one of the weakest cards.  I wanted to push it so that people fear the Lightwell and consider it enough of a threat.  A bit worried about the costing of this Ishanah, since four Lightwells is technically 8 mana worth of minions, and she comes with a decent taunt body.

I knew from the get-go I wanted to try to make something Hungry Crab related since there is so much humor available in that concept.  Fishy acts as a 'payoff' for having a lot of small murlocs since you can efficiently trade them in for 1 mana 3/4s.  Early designs were cheap murlocs that added Hungry Crabs to both player's hands.  It became too hard to find a good balance in minion form, so I tried to push it into a one-sided spell instead.  Thinking about lowering the cost to add in symmetrical Hungry Crab-adding again, but unsure if that's a good direction to pursue.

Set the Table! is because I love Discard Warlock and I love Silverware Golem.  It always felt awful to have a hand full of discarding cards but no discard payoffs, so I made Set the Table! works especially well in an overabundance of discard effects since you need to discard first to set it off, and then find a way to discard the golems.  I love the Silverware Golem discard-summon animation especially and love the idea of seeing it proc a lot of times in a game. A bit worried about the swingy potential in the card, but my love for discard is too great and I think the amount of set-up required makes it alright.  

• Xarkkal's Avatar Servant of Illidan 815 1245 Posts Joined 03/29/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Here's my first idea. I'll come back and get some feedback up for others in a few hours. Have to get the little one to bed first.

I'm thinking this might need to be 4 mana, or drop the Rush to keep it at 3 mana. 

• madcat's Avatar Chocolate Cake 315 80 Posts Joined 06/02/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Looks fun, and Gadgetzan-y. The one thing is that I don't know that any other neutral card generates a specific class card like this one does. That isn't necessarily a problem, but it does make it rather unusual.

• Pokeniner's Avatar Fan Creator 95 40 Posts Joined 03/25/2020
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on another card that takes inspiration from GvG an mix it into Boomsday. Like what Dr. Boom does in his expansion. Thoughts?

Ever thought adding the Rumble Run into Competitive HS would be fun, then check out this expansion list I edited to make the Rumble Run teammates and Shrines viable in HS. http://www.hearthcards.net/setsandclasses/#5363

• Wailor's Avatar Design Finalist 195 190 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

@linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I'd say Volcanic Elemental is the best of the bunch. I also like Primal Fury.

@Demonx95

Show Spoiler
    Cool card, feels very Rogueish. I'd change the artwork, though.

@KANSAS

Show Spoiler
    I don't like that your card uses Counterfeit Coin instead of The Coin just to fit the competition criteria. Even if the concept itself is good, I'd go with a different idea.

@BloodMeFirst

Show Spoiler
    All of those are excellent, probably my favorites so far. I'd say Set the Table! is the best one, since it combines flavor and an interesting effect.

That said, an Epic Class card for an expansion that had none might be a bit off-putting for some people, so I'd make it a Rare just in case.

@Xarkkal

Show Spoiler
    I think you're right about the balance. I'd say I prefer a 4 mana version with Rush.

@Pokeniner

Show Spoiler
    I like your card, but I think you should make Nezzie herself a Mech.

Sure, you'd have to drop this cool artwork, but I think the card overall would benefit, since you wouldn't need to modify the token.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium