Remove Ads - Go Premium

Uncharrrted Waters - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 560 415 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Competition Theme: Uncharrrted Waters

Pirates have taken over Battlegrounds recently, and they're looking to expand their reach further!

• You must create a Pirate minion
    • Your minion cannot be Warrior, Rogue or Neutral
      • We're looking to new waters! There are currently no Pirates in any other classes, so get creative.

Xarkkal wants us to expand the reach of the Pirate minion type, so that they may plunder and loot for every class!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Jun 29 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, Jul 4 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Jul 4 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, Jul 5 16:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Jul 5 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, Jul 6 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 750 1053 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Setting the first sails to get started.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 610 977 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

I have three ideas: one Warlock, and two for Paladin. Paladin is more difficult to find flavor for, but maybe this is good:

• Terror of the Tides follows with the Warlock's self-destruction tools: he eats a fellow Pirate to grow stronger/faster.
    • Kul Tiran Staffwielder is similar to Cobalt Guardian, but hopefully not as terrible. Comboes with Parachute Brigand.
    • Grand Duelist is a muskateer-type character; a "duel to the death"-like effect was already taken by Warmaul Challenger, so I went for something different.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 750 1053 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Quote From linkblade91

I have three ideas: one Warlock, and two for Paladin. Paladin is more difficult to find flavor for, but maybe this is good:

• Terror of the Tides follows with the Warlock's self-destruction tools: he eats a fellow Pirate to grow stronger/faster.
    • Kul Tiran Staffwielder is similar to Cobalt Guardian, but hopefully not as terrible. Comboes with Parachute Brigand.
    • Grand Duelist is a muskateer-type character; a "duel to the death"-like effect was already taken by Warmaul Challenger, so I went for something different.

Terror of the Tides seems possibly a bit too similar and more restrictive to Ratcatcher.

Kul Tiran Staffwielder seems good. Grand Duelist has a nice effect, although effects like it generally don't perform in Constructed at all.

• Xarkkal's Avatar Servant of Illidan 835 1317 Posts Joined 03/29/2019

Props to the "Uncharrrted Waters" title for the theme. I couldn't come up with a good name suggestion for it, and just said "Something clever about Pirates". I am not disappointed! :) 10/10

Quote From Xarkkal

Props to the "Uncharrrted Waters" title for the theme. I couldn't come up with a good name suggestion for it, and just said "Something clever about Pirates". I am not disappointed! :) 10/10

That would be me who suggested it, so you're welcome

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 610 977 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From linkblade91

Terror of the Tides seems possibly a bit too similar and more restrictive to Ratcatcher.

Kul Tiran Staffwielder seems good. Grand Duelist has a nice effect, although effects like it generally don't perform in Constructed at all.

Well hell, I forgot about Ratcatcher. All well: I'll just stick with the Paladin minions. Good catch.

As I noted before, I really like your card. It's slightly weird to see a defensive-statted Rush minion, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's just different.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Quote From linkblade91

As I noted before, I really like your card. It's slightly weird to see a defensive-statted Rush minion, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's just different.

Would you believe me if I told that there are actually more defensive-statted Rush minions in the game than there are aggressive or netural-stated ones?

Because that's actually the truth.

Granted, this is only taking into account minions that naturally have Rush, and not cards that gain it conditionally or generate a token with it.

Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From linkblade91

Would you believe me if I told that there are actually more defensive-statted Rush minions in the game than there are aggressive or netural-stated ones?

Because that's actually the truth.

Granted, this is only taking into account minions that naturally have Rush, and not cards that gain it conditionally or generate a token with it.

...don't mind me, then. Carry on!

• Xarkkal's Avatar Servant of Illidan 835 1317 Posts Joined 03/29/2019

First idea. I should have been making cards for my theme ideas to prepare! haha

Pretty unsure on balance on this. Thinking maybe 5 mana. 

Quote From Xarkkal

First idea. I should have been making cards for my theme ideas to prepare! haha

Pretty unsure on balance on this. Thinking maybe 5 mana. 

I don't think "friendly" is necessary. Following cards like Totem Cruncher or Wailing Soul, it should just say "your other Pirates".

The random Demons effect seems way too high-rolly for my taste as well. Get a bunch of small Imp-like minions, or huge bulking Demons. Or you get some Dormant ones which may be powerful later, but don't do anything for 2 turns.

• KANSAS's Avatar 1100 2130 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I haven't made any Pirate cards prior to this competition. So I went to the internet, collected some cool arts, and made these two cards. What do you think?

I am not too sure on the Balance of Davy Jones. Is it too slow? Is it too hard to deal with? Are the stats/cost good?

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

Quote From KANSAS

I haven't made any Pirate cards prior to this competition. So I went to the internet, collected some cool arts, and made these two cards. What do you think?

I am not too sure on the Balance of Davy Jones. Is it too slow? Is it too hard to deal with? Are the stats/cost good?

Nice pirate theme-ing you've done. I'd say Davy Jones seems OP since he's basically 7 mana for an 8/4 + a 5/8 with Stealth (which can effectively be permanent Stealth like Akama since it happens at the end of each of your turns). The token is also missing the watermark.

I actually quite like the balance of Orc Raider, although I'm not sure if it looks "piratey" enough or not.

• CursedParrot's Avatar 290 414 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Here are two versions of my idea:

The way Arcane Quartermaster would work is that when you play a Pirate, it triggers "when you cast a Spell" effects and Pirates in your deck don't count as minions, allowing you to play pirates in a no minions mage deck. Portal Captain is a more intuitive version of this, but has the important difference of allowing you to use Pirates as 0 Mana Spells to help trigger effects like Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I think this would be balanced out by the fact that pirates are generally not very powerful cards in mage.

EDIT: Here's another card idea I had that is more Pirate-y

The idea of Mage Cap'n Carla would be to run her in either a Spell Mage to allow you to play useless spells as Pirates, or in a Pirate Mage deck to get access to more Pirates. The spells transform back into what they were at the end of the round, so there is no downside of potentially transforming a good card into a useless Pirate. Also, "Raiding Staff" specifies playable Pirates, which means Pirates of a Mana cost equal to or lower than your available Mana crystals. 

Quote From CursedParrot

Here are two versions of my idea:

The way Arcane Quartermaster would work is that when you play a Pirate, it triggers "when you cast a Spell" effects and Pirates in your deck don't count as minions, allowing you to play pirates in a no minions mage deck. Portal Captain is a more intuitive version of this, but has the important difference of allowing you to use Pirates as 0 Mana Spells to help trigger effects like Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I think this would be balanced out by the fact that pirates are generally not very powerful cards in mage.

Start of Game on a non-Legendary minion in this instance doesn't really make sense since there wouldn't be a reason to ever run 2 of them because their effects don't stack and no matter what, it would just happen anyway.

I do also kinda like the idea of Portal Captain. That said, both that card and Arcane Quartermaster both don't look anything like Pirates, and it feels like the Pirate tag is just there so it can be there.

Show Spoiler

@Demonxyz95

I like Storm Captain, she seems balanced and provides a nice but not too powerful upside to Overloading. If you want to enable more evolve synergy I'd make her a 3/6 so she's more likely to survive, and if you wanted to prevent that synergy I'd make her a 5/4 or 5/3. Overall, it's a good card!

@Linkblade91

Terror of the Tides seems like it doesn't have the support cards to really work and Grand Duelist seems weak due to attack and kill being a very hard thing to trigger. Kultiran Staffwielder seems the best out of these and does provide a unique and powerful payoff for playing pirates in Paladin.

@Xarkkal

Captain Impbeard seems way too random to me, maybe it'd be better if he was something like a 3 mana 3/3 with "Whenever a Pirate dies, add a random Demon to your hand."

@KANSAS

Davy Jones has way too many stats given that he summons a minion that is worth 6 or 7 Mana just by itself. Either Davy Jones has to be something like a 3/2 or the Flying Dutchman needs to have far fewer stats. Around 16-18 total stats split among them should be balanced. Orc Raider seems like an alternate version of the 3/2 Rush Reborn mummy for Warrior, which means that it's balanced but not really inspiring. I guess it could work in a Battlecry Shaman deck, so that's pretty interesting.

The idea of Mage Cap'n Carla would be to run her in either a Spell Mage to allow you to play useless spells as Pirates, or in a Pirate Mage deck to get access to more Pirates. The spells transform back into what they were at the end of the round, so there is no downside of potentially transforming a good card into a useless Pirate. Also, "Raiding Staff" specifies playable Pirates, which means Pirates of a Mana cost equal to or lower than your available Mana crystals. 

• R's Avatar 260 10 Posts Joined 04/23/2020

Is there a site with good arts for cards? Tell me someone, please (:

привет
    Quote From R

Is there a site with good arts for cards? Tell me someone, please (:

Often times, just typing "_________ fantasy art" into Google will get you results. It may take a few retypings, but eventually, you should get something.

You can also look on websites like Artstation, or look at art from other games if the art style is similar enough.

Quote From CursedParrot

This is actually a cool idea. The temporary transformation is actually something I haven't really seen yet, and it's extremely useful, so I like it. It could even be used in a pure Spell Mage since the card always starts in your hand (although that does force you to keep a 5-Cost card in your opening hand every game).

Mechanically, my only gripe with the card would be what happens if you attack with no unused mana left? Since there aren't any 0-Cost Pirates in the game, there's nothing for the spells to transform into. The staff is also missing the watermark. Remember that you can click "Custom" and that will give you an option to force apply the watermark to a card with no rarity.

EDIT: I thought it just equipped the weapon. I'm now realizing that it adds it your hand. I think it should just equip the weapon.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium