Remove Ads - Go Premium

Uncharrrted Waters - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1966 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Demonxz95

Show Spoiler
    I really like the card. It is interesting to have the cost reduction equal to the overloaded mana crystals since it basically removes the effect of overload. In that way, it is similar to Lava Shock or Eternal Sentinel. I would make the card a bit smaller and reduce the cost. Even if the ability makes the card cheaper to cast, you will still only be able to play this on turn 5, unless you have Zap! and can overload extra mana on the current turn.

Linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I like Kul Tiran Staffwielder the best. It is balanced, synergistic, and more flavorful than Grand Duelist. The only thing I could maybe change would be to remove the Rush and make it a 2 mana 3/2 or something. But honestly it is fine as it is.

Xarkkal

Show Spoiler
    I agree with everything Demonxz91 said. With Patches and Parachute Brigand, you can get a lot of Pirates out really early. And the potential to get a Voidlord or Mal'Ganis that early is dangerous. The flavor isn't bad, mixing tribes is something at least I would like to see more of. But as it is now it is way too random.

CursedParrot

Show Spoiler
    There are a couple of things I don't like about this card. For one, I don't think it needs to start in your opening hand, and if it does it should cost less. Also I would rather it just straight up equips the weapon instead of adding it to your hand, unless you do reduce the cost. You also probably don't need to say "playable" pirates since most pirates cost 4 or less anyway. I like the spell/pirate mix, but it really seems more like a novel idea than an actual theoretical deck. How would playing a few random pirates for 3 turns in a row help your all-spell Mage deck to win? If you want to make a spell/pirate deck work, I would have some kind of ability that makes your pirates generate random spells or vice versa. Maybe if the weapon said "Whenever you play a Pirate/Spell this turn, add a Pirate/Spell to your hand". I don't know if it is better to have your pirates give you spells, or you spells give you pirates. Personally, I would lean towards the pirates giving you spells since I think a few random spells would help an aggro deck more than a few random pirates would help a spell-based deck.

I updated my cards based on feedback. It seemed Davy Jones had too many stats, so I decided to make it a Deathrattle instead of a Battlecry. I also added a different battlecry to make him more impactful the turn he enters to compensate for him being a 7 mana 7/4. I don't think he is too powerful, since it is 7 mana for just raw stats and no other abilities. But if people still think he is too powerful I can always make him 8 mana.

I got one comment on Orc Raider saying that the card wasn't Pirate-y enough. So I changed the art.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• Pokeniner's Avatar Fan Creator 95 41 Posts Joined 03/25/2020

Card Idea for Paladin and Warlock. Don't know which I wanna submit tho.

Robin follows the theme of Paladin's protection and Zelaton could enable some really fun idea for Pirate Zoolock archetypes.

Apparently my my ideas from Murlocs in Gadgetzan was enough for a full mini-expansion. Rise of the Murlocs was a mini-expansion released in my year of the Hunt as Noggenfogger bumps into a slew of them while on the run. Hope you guys enjoy it. http://www.hearthcards.net/setsandclasses/#4739

• Valor1204's Avatar 30 2 Posts Joined 05/20/2020

@Pokeniner, I am dying of cringe at the similarity in our cards. But great minds think alike? I promise I created the Hunter cards before seeing your post. Of course if you choose to enter yours, I definitely would not enter my combination, as it wouldn't feel fair.

As far as feedback, I was wondering on stats/theme. I originally thought Hunter for Dread Captain DeMeza because of the beast spawn, but it might not be strong enough of a connection. But it could benefit from something like Mok'Nathal Lion, if you were able to reduce the cost. The Possessed Raider summons a Voidlord, but I was thinking it may be too slow?

Show Spoiler

@Pokeniner: I like that Captain Robin is conditional and the theming for it to protect the cat! I wonder if there is a better way to word Tabby Treasures' effect, but I'm not sure. I'm not a huge fan of Zelaton Bonebeard, just because the effect hasn't really been done before and it may be confusing?

@KANSAS: I feel like the biggest problem with Davy Jones is The Flying Dutchman in my opinion. I know it is slower to get it, but the essentially permanent stealth feels overly powerful, maybe because it just requires the deathrattle instead of being shuffled like Akama Prime? I do like Orc Raider and its synergy with Battlecry Shaman!

• Me0203's Avatar Funnel Cakes 325 102 Posts Joined 06/13/2019

Allo! I've got three ideas for this week, so far. Kudos to Xarkkal, this is a fun one. 

Thoughts on my cards:

Show Spoiler

Swordwraith Freebooter began as a callback to Phantom Freebooter, the only KofT Pirate; at first, it destroyed your weapon and reduced enemy minions' max health by its durability, but that was just confusing, so I came up with what's here. He's picky enough to only fight for someone with a weapon, but once he realizes yours is bigger than his, he destroys it! Pretty petty for a ghost, heh. 

Spectral Cannoneer is a Witchwood card, my attempt at finding peace between Feral Druid and Pirates - it seemed fitting to have something happen when your hero attacked, and given Witchwood and spiritual card, he has Echo. I thought about making him cost less to allow more Echo shenanigans, which seemed too powerful in the early game, and about having him gain stats instead of dealing damage, which seemed less fun but perhaps more Druid-y. (Yes, I stole the art from Paladins, that's Makoa, shush ._.)

Gurgling Gravedigger (Low-Tide Treasure Hunter?) is here because Secrets seemed Piratey, and Secret Paladin and Pirates both seemed aggressive, so I plopped him in the same set as Commander Rhyssa. Either the other Pirate helps him dig up some treasure, or he's digging a grave for a Pirate who turns out to be alive - and tells him some secrets! - take yer pick. 

Thoughts on other folks' cards:

Show Spoiler

Demonxz95 - I love the effect. It's surprising that we haven't seen something like that in-game yet! The flavor feels off, though. Pirates synergize with things like attacking, other pirates, weapons, and stealing or generating cards. Rogue's Combo is fitting, being underhanded, but Shaman's Overload is about spells and raw power, neither of which is very swashbuckley. My gut feeling for that art is her summoning a crew of Elemental Pirates. 

Linkblade91 - I, too, like Kul Tiran Staffweilder the most. Even if Terror of the Tides has some killer art. I would consider reducing her attack to 3 though, because as you say, any deck with her would also run Parachute Brigand

Xarkkal - As others have said, random demons is an effect that has already been done and been proven to be rather scary. 

CursedParrot - Mage Cap'n Carla. A tough one, since it's entirely new! A neat one, though. It isn't a great idea with your original spells, Pirates not seeming more valuable than even Frostbolts on average, but perhaps you could use it in a deck that generates random spells. As others said, I think having it start in your opening hand is Overkill, too railroady, and I think it would be alright if she lost 1 attack and equipped the weapon instead. Specifying playable Pirates seems iffy, too - you could get down to 2 mana and have an okay chance at sniping several Parachute Brigands. 

KANSAS - I like the Orc Raider. It's good enough to put in a constructed deck, since it can take out two targets, and it helps Battlecry Shaman. Davy Jones is fun, but it's too strong and doesn't feel like a Warlock card. It's not particularly interesting or useful. 

Pokeniner - It's got me giggling up a storm that both you and Valor found the same art and both went the same direction with it. Cute girl, summons a cute cat, and oh, it's got a chest? Fantastic treasure!  Your condition seems too hard to complete, though - that poor cat is going to get consistently mauled. Not to mention, why would I vote for a card that puts such a cute creature up for destruction? D: Zelaton would be fun to theorycraft with, but as is, it's too radical to really guess at his power level; I don't have the time to decide whether he would be fun to play with, or not, and thus I don't like him very much for our purposes. 

Valor - If only you'd posted an hour earlier, haha. That said, I don't think that art fits a Hunter very well, beast summoner or no, and besides, having fantastic treasures appear in other classes does feel a bit odd. If I ran into Demeza while dishing out votes, I would think 'Well, that's fun, and not badly designed, but not particularly flavorful or useful, so, eh, 3 because it's not terribly flawed and cute, but not bad?' Possessed Raider feels better. A solid, well balanced Common, with demon synergies, reminiscent of an existing card (Rustworn Initiate) but also new, with some neat flavor. Death, very flavorful.

Better call Thrall!

• Elfensilver's Avatar Goblin 330 375 Posts Joined 03/14/2019

Edit: after anchorm4n's feedback, I would change the text of accursed corsair to: "whenever this minion is resurrected, two additional random pirates are summoned".

I am looking for some other art for the helmsman, this one is not playeful enough, and the hook is not visible enough.

Also, do you think Seawind seeker would be better with +1 health?

The second card is obviously not perfect yet, I'm not sure about capitalization, wording, and am sold on the image either.  I had a third idea, but couldn't find a combination of pirate-y and storms or anything else shaman-related - any pointers or images would be welcome! Added a third card.

As usual, feedback as I had time for it.

• bigcums's Avatar Dragon Scholar 125 76 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Here is my card idea. Any thoughts? 

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 585 743 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Here are my ideas for this week:

Which of them do you like most? I'd really appreciate feedback for all of them!

Here are my 2 cents for your cards:

bigcums:

Show Spoiler
    I'm quite new to card design competitions but it already feels as if I have seen this effect on 5 different cards. I'm sorry, but it's not very exciting for me.

Elfensilver:

Show Spoiler
    You should specify which Pirates the Corsair summons: are they random or copies of himself? I guess you meant him to summon copies of himself. In that case, 2 copies would be very OP, I'd reduce it to one. I don't like the Helmsman. Seawind Seeker is interesting, but too weak to actually see play. Don't forget to add the period at the end of the text. Also: would you mind to send me the art if you should decide not to use it?

Me0203:

Show Spoiler
    The Freebooter is too complicated for my taste. The Gravedigger is cool, but there's no reason why this should be a Pirate (and not a Murloc). Spectral Cannoneer looks very interesting to me. Nice card!

Valor1204:

Show Spoiler
    I like Possessed Raider and I think it's balanced as it is. I hope you don't mind my Possessed Brigadier, but people usually are afraid of random Demons and will probably prefer your card because of this.

Pokeniner:

Show Spoiler
    The one thing I don't like about your Paladin Legendary is the "only once" part in the token. Bonebeard doesn't appeal to me (cool name, though).

KANSAS:

Show Spoiler
    I like Davy Jones, nice flavor! The Flying Dutchman gaining Stealth at the end of your turn is OP though. Removing an 8 health perma-stealthed minion is nearly impossible for the most classes. Why not make it gain Stealth at the start of your turn? That way it's up to you if you want to reveal it or not. Orc Raider is a solid card, but not very interesting.

CursedParrot:

Show Spoiler
    Interesting card! As others already stated, you should make it equip the staff. Personally, I don't mind a 5 cost card clogging my starting hand if the effect is powerful enough to make up for that. I'm not completely convinced that this condition is fulfilled with your card…

Xarkkal:

Show Spoiler
    Really cool art! As the others said, it's probably too powerful as it is. I tried something similar with Murlocs in competition 1.05 and made it cost 7. Ended up in 4th place. Edit: I just voted on the first bunch of cards and I don't know if that matters to you, but someone else used the art (for quite a bad card imo).

linkblade91:

Show Spoiler
    I think you should be forbidden to create Paladin cards. :P Seriously though, I like the Staffwielder most. I'm not sure if it shouldn't cost 4, but since it needs at least one more mana to gain the bubble anyway, 3 is probably okay.

Demonxz95:

Show Spoiler
    Great card! Probably my favorite so far. If anything, the art might be a bit too sexy to actually be printed.

Double the pride, double the fall.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 874 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

Here are my ideas for this week:

Which of them do you like most? I'd really appreciate feedback for all of them!

Here are my 2 cents for your cards:

Show Spoiler

bigcums:

Show Spoiler
    I'm quite new to card design competitions but it already feels as if I have seen this effect on 5 different cards. I'm sorry, but it's not very exciting for me.

Elfensilver:

Show Spoiler
    You should specify which Pirates the Corsair summons: are they random or copies of himself? I guess you meant him to summon copies of himself. In that case, 2 copies would be very OP, I'd reduce it to one. I don't like the Helmsman. Seawind Seeker is interesting, but too weak to actually see play. Don't forget to add the period at the end of the text. Also: would you mind to send me the art if you should decide not to use it?

Me0203:

Show Spoiler
    The Freebooter is too complicated for my taste. The Gravedigger is cool, but there's no reason why this should be a Pirate (and not a Murloc). Spectral Cannoneer looks very interesting to me. Nice card!

Valor1204:

Show Spoiler
    I like Possessed Raider and I think it's balanced as it is. I hope you don't mind my Possessed Brigadier, but people usually are afraid of random Demons and will probably prefer your card because of this.

Pokeniner:

Show Spoiler
    The one thing I don't like about your Paladin Legendary is the "only once" part in the token. Bonebeard doesn't appeal to me (cool name, though).

KANSAS:

Show Spoiler
    I like Davy Jones, nice flavor! The Flying Dutchman gaining Stealth at the end of your turn is OP though. Removing an 8 health perma-stealthed minion is nearly impossible for the most classes. Why not make it gain Stealth at the start of your turn? That way it's up to you if you want to reveal it or not. Orc Raider is a solid card, but not very interesting.

CursedParrot:

Show Spoiler
    Interesting card! As others already stated, you should make it equip the staff. Personally, I don't mind a 5 cost card clogging my starting hand if the effect is powerful enough to make up for that. I'm not completely convinced that this condition is fulfilled with your card…

Xarkkal:

Show Spoiler
    Really cool art! As the others said, it's probably too powerful as it is. I tried something similar with Murlocs in competition 1.05 and made it cost 7. Ended up in 4th place.

linkblade91:

Show Spoiler
    I think you should be forbidden to create Paladin cards. :P Seriously though, I like the Staffwielder most. I'm not sure if it shouldn't cost 4, but since it needs at least one more mana to gain the bubble anyway, 3 is probably okay.

Demonxz95:

Show Spoiler
    Great card! Probably my favorite so far. If anything, the art might be a bit too sexy to actually be printed.

Thank you for the feedback.

I should point out that the art for Southsea Bladedancer is already used by Blackwater Pirate. That said, it would be my favorite of the three if you changed the artwork.

Kent Goldfang seems interesting as a way to break into 3/7 for 4 territory, although I feel like the effect is just Glinda Crowskin that for -2 mana, only works on Pirates, so it doesn't exactly feel fresh to me (and being in the same set as Glinda doesn't help it either). Possessed Brigadier is decent, although it's incredibly high-rolly.

• Elfensilver's Avatar Goblin 330 375 Posts Joined 03/14/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

So, my feedback. This week it is a little harsh, since a lot of the cards do not look like pirates or classcards.

@Demonxz95

Show Spoiler

Storm Captain: fairs stats and effect, but doesn’t feel like a pirate, yarr know? It is well worth the mana cost, and every overload (maybe also some weird evolve decks) would want to play it. The effect is simple enough-frankly, simple enough for a lower rarity.

@Linkblade91

Show Spoiler

Terror of the Tides: flavorful and playable. Maybe even increase the stats, since pirates are harder to find than lackeys or demons.

Kul Tiran Staffwielder: Sadly, I am not a fan. Paladin and pirates do not fit together well, and this somewhat strong card has an effect more suited to other tribes- also the art is more fitting for a legendary card.

Grand Duelist: a wonderful card, would look good in any buff paladin- seems strong. But: while it is a nice card, it looks way more like a goody-two-shoe legendary, than a rowdy pirate rare.

@KANSAS

Show Spoiler

Davy Jones: as seen somewhere else: Deathrattle would be more flavorful. The Flying Dutchman is a great card, well worth its rarity. Now to the critic: Davy Jones and Flying Dutchman are two different tales, thus the cards do not fit together well. And the effect of gaining Stealth is very rogue-y, and I do not see why it should be warlock- priest would be a better fit (except for the resurrect possibilities) Also, it’s way too good for its cost. A 5/7 with perma-stealth is worth 7 mana, and two huge bodies are too good to be printed.

Seen the update: the cursed Sailors are not necessary, right now Davy Jones looks like a Dungeon Run treasure.

Orc Raider: It’s okay? But boring. But the updated art helps.

@Xarkkal:

Show Spoiler

Captain Imp Beard: Pretty unsure how to balance this- but the effect is warlocky, and weak. There are few options to get a lot of pirates for warlocks – Hench-Clan Hag is the only one with more than one pirate per card- and even in a pirate themed set you’d probably have to invest several cards to gain pirates, which is not worth it. So the cost is okay, but the effect is (outside of a pirate *heavy* set )useless.

@CursedParrot

Show Spoiler

Arcane Quartermaster: I like the first version better, since it is worded shorter and less redundant. While the idea seems weird at the start, I could see the idea also work from a flavor stand point. Something dark and cursed, which turns pirates into spectres/spells. If you make it legendary, as far as I know there are no epic Start of Game cards, and reduce the stats, since all start of game minions are under-statted.

Mage-Cap’n Carla: Whoa. That is a heck of a card. Would work in cyclone builds that want to dump their useless gains?  I’d drop the “this starts in your opening hand”, the effect is strong enough as it is—even a single run with the staff is almost worth the cost. You could also add a “Transmuter” in her name, to clarify what is going on.

@Pokeniner:

Show Spoiler

Captain Robin: I like the idea of protecting a small minion, but I don’t think the (only once) is necessary. Stats and effect seem fair enough already.

Zelaton Bonebeard: not great, sorry. Pirates=other tribe is a simple idea, and any deck using Bonebeard is probably weak until you find him, and immensely strong afterwards (o.c. provided support cards) which is not fun for you or the opponent.

@Valor1204:

Show Spoiler

DeMeza: Weirdly, I’m getting a sense of Déjà vu. Your card definitely fits hunter – battlecry to summon, deathrattle to hand- and seems okay from the stats. But maybe change the Art (Pokeniner was first, and it doesn’t fit hunters to well), and drop the “Dread”.

Possessed Raider: simple and balanced, might be too good in both of those to score high.

@Me0203

Show Spoiler

Swortwraith Freebooter: interesting fantasy, but the cost seems too high. For one stat, you forego at least one swing with a weapon,which is not worth it.

Sprectral Cannoneer: Huh. Good effect, could get dangerous. Echo does not seem necessary with the cost, but is a good fit for spectral pirates. To make it seem more like a druid card, maybe change it to a Dryad, treespirits can work well with ships.

Gurgling Gravedigger:  what a fun card! I love it. But is there a more watery term for grave? Maybe something with mutiny?

@Bigcums:

Show Spoiler

Captain Cookie:  not great, sorry. Pirates=other tribe is a simple idea, which also is hard to balance.

@Anchorm4n

Show Spoiler

Response: I do not know yet, which card to use, but if I decide against Seawind Seeker,I'll send you the art. May I know why you don't like the helmsman?

Admiral Kent Goldfang:  that’s scary. Echo fits very well in paladin, and it is a good card precisely because of the few pirates paladin has access to. 5/5

Southsea Bladedancer:  DH and pirates? Seems like a nightmare. But this card seems mostly  fair (following DH-standards) and has a good effect. Maybe increase health and manacost by one? Else this card can win the early game by itself.

Possessed Brigadier:  fair and simple, but seems a bit to similar to possessed Raider of Valor1204, and less interesting than your others.

• Alfi's Avatar The Raven 440 370 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From KANSAS

I haven't made any Pirate cards prior to this competition. So I went to the internet, collected some cool arts, and made these two cards. What do you think?

I am not too sure on the Balance of Davy Jones. Is it too slow? Is it too hard to deal with? Are the stats/cost good?

7 mana 13/12 on two bodies with permanent stealth on one of them (so single removal does not help) is just waaaay too much. 

-=alfi=-

• Alfi's Avatar The Raven 440 370 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From KANSAS

Feed

I updated my cards based on feedback. It seemed Davy Jones had too many stats, so I decided to make it a Deathrattle instead of a Battlecry. I also added a different battlecry to make him more impactful the turn he enters to compensate for him being a 7 mana 7/4. I don't think he is too powerful, since it is 7 mana for just raw stats and no other abilities. But if people still think he is too powerful I can always make him 8 mana.

Ok, you "downgraded" it from 7 mana 13/12 to 7 mana 15/16

-=alfi=-

• BloodMefist's Avatar Design Finalist 250 170 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Had a tricky time with this one.

Jerias looks to make use of Warlocks ability to abundantly provide 1/1 tokens and replace them with much better stat-lines.  I dug for notable pirates in the Warcraft universe and thought Jerias seemed pretty cool.  His effect also pushes a bit of flavor since in-lore he tried to replace two of his killed crew members.  Not super sold on his effect since it isn't particularly interesting though.

Amalgam-mate is my personal favorite out of the three initial entries, partially just for the pun.  I wanted to use the Amalgamate minion art since it already felt predominantly pirate to me.  I decided to go with Paladin for the class since they make the most use out of a variety of tribal tags, although Murloc and Mech are the main ones that benefit.  Dragons are also Paladin identity and Beasts could definitely have some neutral synergy that might care about this card.

Parrot Tamer overlaps with the last contest, but I wanted to find a bridge between Beasts and Pirates that worked for Hunter, since Hunter already has some potential connections in aggressive playstyle and weapons.  Captain's Parrot is not a good card, but getting two + a 3/2 might be good enough to see play.

Will try to get feedback out by the end of the day!

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1966 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Apparently Davy Jones has way too many stats for his cost, and the permanent stealth on The Flying Dutchman scares people. I adjusted the Battlecry and the stats to make him a bit slower, and also give him some Pirate synergy. I can understand why 8 Health permanent Stealth is scary, so I made it a 4/5 to be more susceptible to board clears. And I also changed the Battlecry to draw Pirates instead of summoning them so that now you can really only play him in a Pirate deck.

A few things I would like to mention about the balance. If your opponent kills Davy Jones on their turn, they can also attack The Flying Dutchman before it gains Stealth. Also, because it is 7 mana, it probably won't be relevant against an aggro deck. And most control decks have either a board clear that can deal 5 damage, or enough taunts to force it to trade. Getting 4 damage every turn in an aggro deck is strong, getting 4 damage every turn from turn 8+ in an aggro deck is less strong, getting 4 damage every turn from 8+ which can be killed by an AOE is probably nothing to freak out about.

I will get some more feedback out later.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 874 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From BloodMefist

Had a tricky time with this one.

Jerias looks to make use of Warlocks ability to abundantly provide 1/1 tokens and replace them with much better stat-lines.  I dug for notable pirates in the Warcraft universe and thought Jerias seemed pretty cool.  His effect also pushes a bit of flavor since in-lore he tried to replace two of his killed crew members.  Not super sold on his effect since it isn't particularly interesting though.

Amalgam-mate is my personal favorite out of the three initial entries, partially just for the pun.  I wanted to use the Amalgamate minion art since it already felt predominantly pirate to me.  I decided to go with Paladin for the class since they make the most use out of a variety of tribal tags, although Murloc and Mech are the main ones that benefit.  Dragons are also Paladin identity and Beasts could definitely have some neutral synergy that might care about this card.

Parrot Tamer overlaps with the last contest, but I wanted to find a bridge between Beasts and Pirates that worked for Hunter, since Hunter already has some potential connections in aggressive playstyle and weapons.  Captain's Parrot is not a good card, but getting two + a 3/2 might be good enough to see play.

Will try to get feedback out by the end of the day!

Out of the three, Parrot Tamer is my favorite of three.

I struggle to see a situation where Amalgam-mate isn't just a worse Nightmare Amalgam (other than its size), since I could just put that card in and get every tribal benefit right away. Jerias Bloodvein also seems too high-rolly and random, although it works great for popping eggs.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 954 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

I made some changes to my Paladin cards based on feedback:

-1 Attack on the Enforcer Staffwielder (that name is kind of crap, isn't it?) (Edit: I thought of a better name), and the Grand Duelist has been bumped up to a Legendary and given Rush herself. This ensures she'll get at least one attack off, hopefully restoring herself to full in the process. Might actually be too good now; you'll have to let me know :)

Working on reciprocating feedback next.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From linkblade91

I made some changes to my Paladin cards based on feedback:

-1 Attack on the Staffwielder (that name is kind of crap, isn't it?), and the Grand Duelist has been bumped up to a Legendary and given Rush herself. This ensures she'll get at least one attack off, hopefully restoring herself to full in the process. Might actually be too good now; you'll have to let me know :)

Working on reciprocating feedback next.

Wait, Grand Duelist is a girl? I thought it was a guy who just had fancy blonde hair and a soft-looking face. I am now realizing she has a... chest though, so that one's on me.

And yeah, Staffwielder is not a great word to use. I'm not sure what word to use instead, but I think Team 5 would indeed use something else instead.

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 36 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

First idea that came to my mind for a different take on Pirates, a resource creator and not a pure aggressive Pirate.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 954 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Show Spoiler

KANSAS - Even with the changes, I believe people will still find Davy Jones to be too strong. I think your defense makes sense, but the perception will be there nevertheless. Also, from a flavor standpoint, the Captain of The Flying Dutchman summoning the ship *after* he dies is weird. I like Orc Raider, though.

BloodMefist - I like Parrot Tamer. Jerias' Battlecry is generally a loss unless you use it on Imps, Lackeys, or Eggs, and Amalgam-mate defeats the point of what we're doing. Parrot Tamer gives Pirate Hunter some much-needed card draw, while also providing more bodies on the table.

anchorm4n - I like Possessed Brigadier, but as Demon noted it is very high-rolly with Imps and bigger stuff to land on. The Admiral is too close to Glinda Crowskin. Southsea Bladedancer is a fine choice if you find new art.

bigcums - Perhaps not fair to you, but I've seen this card a dozen times, maybe more. It's just not that unique of an effect :(

Elfensilver - I like Accursed Corsair the best of your ideas - the idea is interesting and encourages deck building. You do need the word "random" on there as you already noted, but "resurrected" doesn't need to be in bold.

Me0203 - Pirate Paladin has been more popular than I expected, so maybe go with the Druid card to stand out? I like it the most, as well, so that helps. Echo on a 4-mana minion is weird, though: you can barely get off two of them and attack in the same round, and by turn-10+ you should be doing more than that. I think you can get away with it costing 3.

Valor1204 - Possessed Raider's art focuses too much on the demon, but I can understand that it might be difficult to fix. For what it's worth, I like DeMeza…more than Pokeniner's Captain Robin, if I'm being honest. Yours has a simplicity and straight-forwardness to it.

Pokeniner - As I alleged just above this comment, I feel your Captain Robin is too complicated. Forcing us to have a weapon equipped could be an interesting condition, but it doesn't really do anything with the rest of the card besides using said weapon to defend the Tabby. And requiring the "(only once)" on the Tabby just makes things less straight-forward. Referring to your other card, I don't mind Zelaton, but "your (X) are also (Y)" is an idea that's been done a lot in the creative community.

CursedParrot - A weapon you get to attack with, in Mage? Blasphemy! :P I like Carla, although I don't know if it needs to start in your opening hand. Also it should say "Add *a* 'Raiding Staff' to your hand"; that would move "your" down and deal with the orphan word, as well. Still, those are pretty minor complaints: your card is unique and interesting, and I can see it being a winner.

Xarkkal - I will echo the other sentiments and say that it feels too high-rolly for me. You could get something awesome…or you could fill your board with 1/1 Imps.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From Cg8889

First idea that came to my mind for a different take on Pirates, a resource creator and not a pure aggressive Pirate.

Neutral Pirates are not allowed for this prompt, although you could potentially move it to a class and it'll be fine. Maybe Hunter? The Pistol's effect is kind of Priest-y, although the card in general is not.

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 36 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Saw no Warrior and Rogue but my mind just blocked out neutral lol Will work on more class specific ideas here momentarily.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium