Remove Ads - Go Premium

Uncharrrted Waters - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• CursedParrot's Avatar 285 380 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 week, 2 days ago

Here's my second iteration of Mage Cap'n Carla:

EDIT: I decided to keep the "starts in your opening hand" text because it allows no Spells mage to run her and gives her the downside of taking up a spot in your opening hand if you don't want her from the start of the game.

Carla now equips the Raiding Staff. I kept Raiding Staff the same because the chance of getting multiple Parachute Brigands is not likely, given that there are 8 current standard Pirates that cost 8 or less (and more when Mage Cap'n Carla would have been released). I will also remember to add the Watermark to Raiding Staff when I submit the card.

Feedback for others (not all done yet):

Show Spoiler

@KANSAS

Davy Jones is much more balanced as a Deathrattle card (compare to Cursed Vagrant). Maybe the 2/2s should be on the Deathrattle too? EDIT: For your next version of Davy Jones, I think the card draw is somewhat unnecessary and you could just give Davy Jones more stats. Warlock doesn't want to draw Pirates, and no Warlock Pirate Deck would want to play a 7 drop. If you're scared of high damage from the Flying Dutchman, you can just give it "can't attack heroes" which would also justify the high stats.

@Pokiner

I like the idea of Captain Robin, if you wanted to make the Treasure Cat not have the (once per game) text you could change it to "At the start of your turn, destroy/silence this and add a Fantastic Treasure to your hand"

@Valor124

I think your Captain Ediza could be different enough from Pokiner's Card if you changed the art and maybe changed the Deathrattle to something like "shuffle 4 Fantastic Treasures into your deck."

@Me0203

I think that the Swordwraith is the best of them, although I think he could be a 5/6 or possibly gain the stats of the weapon he destroys

@Elfensilver

I like the Old Helmsman the best, although the art should be different since the grey and white boxes in the background causes the card to not look like a real Hearthstone card

@Bigcums

I like your card, but I think it would be better as a start of game effect (maybe I'm just biased because I like start of game effects though)

@Anchorm4n

Southsea Bladedancer seems the best out of the three, although the art would need to be changed.

@Bloodmefist

I like the Parrot Tamer the best, it seems like it would help make Pirate Hunter a real deck.

@Linkblade91

The 3 Mana one seems like it would support a real Pirate Paladin deck, whereas the 6 Mana one seems like just a good card that happens to be a pirate for flavor reasons. My advice on how to decide which card to submit is to consider whether or not you think a Pirate Paladin deck would be interesting and successful. 

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 590 942 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Quote From CursedParrot

The Start of Game trigger would check before you draw her, and thus would fail (because there is a minion in the deck: Carla herself). I would leave that off, or go back to your original if you want to.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• CursedParrot's Avatar 285 380 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Thanks, I didn't consider that. I think I will just go back to the first version since I wanted Carla to be able to work in a no minions Mage. Is "starts in your opening hand" too strange of a card text or do you think it would be acceptable? It's sort of like the Quest mechanic so I thought it would be fine.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 590 942 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Quote From CursedParrot

Thanks, I didn't consider that. I think I will just go back to the first version since I wanted Carla to be able to work in a no minions Mage. Is "starts in your opening hand" too strange of a card text or do you think it would be acceptable? It's sort of like the Quest mechanic so I thought it would be fine.

If that's why you wanted the original effect, I can understand the reasoning. I thought the first version was fine.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 35 Posts Joined 07/19/2019

Alright, let's try this again shall we:

Went with a more Hunter-esque design with the class card. Works like a combination of Knuckles and Dragonbane but limits the ability to only be a face-centric card since you must attack a minion for the first 4 damage before you get the 4 damage ping to an enemy.

Also came up with two other designs as well:

Tuskarr is a simple 2 mana Rush minion that ironically helps against mirror matches of getting rid of early 2 Health Demon Hunter staples. In the late game, you can make a cheap big body Rush minion if you have Warglaives of Azzinoth or Flamereaper equipped.

Corsair is ticking a ton of Paladin archetype boxes with one minion. Handbuff, dragons and in play buffing synergy wrapped in a nice little package.

Quote From Cg8889

Went with a more Hunter-esque design with the class card. Works like a combination of Knuckles and Dragonbane but limits the ability to only be a face-centric card since you must attack a minion for the first 4 damage before you get the 4 damage ping to an enemy.

Also came up with two other designs as well:

Tuskarr is a simple 2 mana Rush minion that ironically helps against mirror matches of getting rid of early 2 Health Demon Hunter staples. In the late game, you can make a cheap big body Rush minion if you have Warglaives of Azzinoth or Flamereaper equipped.

Corsair is ticking a ton of Paladin archetype boxes with one minion. Handbuff, dragons and in play buffing synergy wrapped in a nice little package.

1. I like the Dead Man's Pistol effect for this new iteration because it implies the bullet is bouncing from one target to the next. The Hunter currently lacks a way to improve the weapon's Attack - so it could say "Deal 4 damage to a random enemy" instead - but maybe they would get one to go with the Captain.
    2. I like the Tuskarr: he's straight-forward and effective. I would not put him in Ashes of Outland, though: I would give him a custom watermark, because there's no reason for a tuskarr pirate to be in Outland.
    3. The Dragon Corsair is my least favorite of the three, mostly because I don't like it being a conglomerate of so many archetypes. I know the Paladin has been given a raw deal lately in that regard, but still.

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 35 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Quote From linkblade91
    1. I like the Dead Man's Pistol effect for this new iteration because it implies the bullet is bouncing from one target to the next. The Hunter currently lacks a way to improve the weapon's Attack - so it could say "Deal 4 damage to a random enemy" instead - but maybe they would get one to go with the Captain.
    2. I like the Tuskarr: he's straight-forward and effective. I would not put him in Ashes of Outland, though: I would give him a custom watermark, because there's no reason for a tuskarr pirate to be in Outland.
    3. The Dragon Corsair is my least favorite of the three, mostly because I don't like it being a conglomerate of so many archetypes. I know the Paladin has been given a raw deal lately in that regard, but still.

For Dead Man's pistol, the only current Standard card that could work would be Captain Greenskin. Wild has Toxicologist and Naga Corsair also available in neutral but that might not be enough. I do think the wording could change to what you said and wouldn't lose anything since it's in Hunter. If it were Warrior or Rogue, I would definitely keep the wording I had in place.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 856 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Quote From Cg8889
    Quote From linkblade91

For Dead Man's pistol, the only current Standard card that could work would be Captain Greenskin. Wild has Toxicologist and Naga Corsair also available in neutral but that might not be enough. I do think the wording could change to what you said and wouldn't lose anything since it's in Hunter. If it were Warrior or Rogue, I would definitely keep the wording I had in place.

Hunter is still currently the only class without any WCDC winning cards so far, so you'd fill that gap if you won

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 580 728 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Thanks for your feedback! I searched half the Internet until I found art that brings together Pirates and Demon Hunters (please note her eye patch). Unfortunately, I don't think the new art fits the original statline (2/2/1), so I reworked that as well. 4/4/2 would have been cool, but that's Illidari Felblade's slot, so I tried to sneak in at 6. The attack is high enough to make an impact while the health should be low enough to either die on the spot or at the worst be cleared easily next turn.

What do you think? Any better ideas for the start line? I'll add more feedback tomorrow. 

Double the pride, double the fall.

Quote From anchorm4n

What do you think? Any better ideas for the start line? I'll add more feedback tomorrow. 

I've been staring at your card for like 8 minutes now trying to come up with something substantive to say, but I've got nothing. I think of a complaint, but then I turn around and stop thinking that. Hopefully that means it's fine lol >_>

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1948 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Valor1204

Show Spoiler
    Personally I don't like Dread Captain DeMeza that much, but balance wise I think the card is fine. I really like Possessed Raider, but I don't think he needs Rush. If it was a 2 mana 2/2 with that ability I would like it better.

Me0203

Show Spoiler
    Swordwraith Freebooter isn't a bad card, but it is my least favorite of the three. Spectral Cannoneer is really cool, but I would like it if he was smaller. Echo cards shouldn't cost more than 3 mana. Maybe as a 2 mana 1/2? Gurgling Gravedigger is pretty cool. I can't decide if I like this one or Spectral Cannoneer better. It is maybe a bit too efficient, but I think it is fine. Also, I like the name Low-Tide Treasure Hunter better, but I don't think it matters a whole lot.

Elfensilver

Show Spoiler
    I like Seaweed Seeker the best. Though when compared to Whirling Zap-o-matic I think you could afford to increase the stats. Though I am not sure if 2 mana 3/2 with Windfury would make the cut in any decks since Whirling Zap-o-Matic isn't played. I would make it a 3 mana 3/4 with the same ability.

anchorm4n

Show Spoiler
    I agree with Demonxz95. Southsea Bladedancer is probably your best card, but you need to change the art. I also might increase the cost to 3 mana. 2 mana to hit three things for 2 damage is really good, especially when they aren't random targets like with Cleave or other similar cards. Also if she had more health you could set up some interesting trades running her into smaller minions and then killing the ones with higher attack through the ability, but with 1 Health she will die no matter what she hits. *edit* I really like the 6 mana 5/2 statline and the art is pretty good. All around nice card.

BloodMefist

Show Spoiler
    I like Parrot Tamer the best. Jerias Bloodvein isn't particularly useful and also is missing the Pirate tag, and Amalgam-mate is just like Nightmare Amalgam but harder to use. Parrot Tamer is a cool callback to a forgotten card, it is powerful, but being the only hunter card that cares about Pirates I think it is fine. The only thing you need to change is the wattermark.

Linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I still like Kul Tiran Enforcer best (I also really like the new name). It is balanced and fun. I like that it has synergy with Pirates, whereas Riona only has a Pirate tag. I would give it 4/5 stars.

CursedParrot

Show Spoiler
    I still think transforming your spells into pirates is kind of a weird ability to have. It doesn't feel like a strategy you could use in a real deck, and I don't see the synergy between pirates and spells. I just don't understand how you are supposed to use this card.

Cg8889

Show Spoiler
    Captain Flintlock is my favorite. My only gripe is that you used the same art on the token as on the card. Other than that I think it is great! Tuskar Privateer is pretty cool. I think if Demon Hunters had just a few more weapons they could make use of some weapon synergy. I don't really like Dragon Corsair because all of the different themes don't really add up. She is a pirate, who, when magically enhanced, empowers your dragons. It doesn't feel Pirate-y enough.

bananenparty

Show Spoiler
    Booty Trogg is way too expensive. You could probably make him exactly as he is for 3 mana and be okay. That being said I think Fishy Freebooter is just all around the better card. Though you really shouldn't have both tribes in the tribe tag spot. I would either have it listed as either Pirate or Murloc on the tribe tag, and then have it say "This also counts as a Pirate/Murloc". Or, you could have it just be a Murloc.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• bananenparty's Avatar Card Designer Enthusiast 125 20 Posts Joined 06/12/2019

I actually have two ideas this time (and just found out that one of em doesn't work as I want it to, but I'll put the draft in here nonetheless).
    Shaman somehow got me hooked here, I really want to create a pirate for this class, so here are my two cards.

Fishy Freebooter: Well, it obviously wasn't possible to combine both minion types into one. I was thinking about giving him a battlecry to adapt his type based on whatever type of minion you played last, but I found that hard to put into words. I also think combining the power of Southsea Captain and Murloc Warleader has some great potential for a floody minion based deck.

Booty Trogg: Basically a Tunnel Trogg with some added pirate-y weapon flavour. Maybe the cost is too high since you'd have to have a weapon in play AND overload at the same time. I still like the idea a lot thoigh.

Also, I didn't know which expansion would fit both of them. Maybe you have any ideas?
    Have fun and keep up the great work everyone <3

• Fedrion's Avatar The Raven 395 170 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

As far as I saw, nobody went with good old Daelin so...

Heh, Greetings.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 856 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Quote From Fedrion

As far as I saw, nobody went with good old Daelin so...

"has Divine Shield for the rest of the game" is a bit strange, because it could effectively imply a permanent damage immunity since the effect of it having Divine Shield is a passive permanent effect

Really? I never thought about it sounding strange. Since divine shield is a one-time damage immunity I thought it was clear that once you pop the bubble it doesn't come back. Like Righteousness, Scalelord and so on... It never even occurred to me that the wording was misleading.

The stats/cost maybe, more so the health, but idk, it sounds that strange?

Heh, Greetings.

Quote From Fedrion

Really? I never thought about it sounding strange. Since divine shield is a one-time damage immunity I thought it was clear that once you pop the bubble it doesn't come back. Like Righteousness, Scalelord and so on... It never even occurred to me that the wording was misleading.

The stats/cost maybe, more so the health, but idk, it sounds that strange?

The difference between those two cards and Daelin as that those two cards specifically just give it once. It's just "give them Divine Shield" full stop. Since Daelin's effect is a permanent aura, the effect is technically giving them a "permanent Divine Shield" as the effect is trying to be applied permanently. Perhaps just "Battlecry: Give your other Pirates Divine Shield (wherever they are)" would work instead.

I'd say it's probably best to get rid of a stat-point. One other thing I will mention is that Daelin is technically not a pirate, but he's a "lord admiral".

Ok, fair point.

From the Horde POV, yeah he was like a pirate lol, the most vile of the pirates, but anyway...

Too much stuff going on today, maybe tomorrow I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Heh, Greetings.

Quote From KANSAS

anchorm4n

I agree with Demonxz95. Southsea Bladedancer is probably your best card, but you need to change the art. I also might increase the cost to 3 mana. 2 mana to hit three things for 2 damage is really good, especially when they aren't random targets like with Cleave or other similar cards. Also if she had more health you could set up some interesting trades running her into smaller minions and then killing the ones with higher attack through the ability, but with 1 Health she will die no matter what she hits. *edit* I really like the 6 mana 5/2 statline and the art is pretty good. All around nice card.     

Thank you! But it actually is a 6 mana 6/2 right now and since the statline is my last issue with her do you think I should drop the attack to 5? Are there any meta cards at 6 health that ask for removal at the moment?

• Paragon's Avatar Card Designer Enthusiast 300 120 Posts Joined 06/07/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

I made a mistake with my entry where I forgot to add the Pirate Tribe tag.
    Is there a way it could be re-entered?
    Also, what do you think? :)

Let me light the way.

Posted 1 week, 1 day ago
    Quote From Paragon

I made a mistake with my entry where I forgot to add the Pirate Tribe tag.
    Is there a way it could be re-entered?
    Also, what do you think? :)

Unfortunately no, you can't edit your submission. You also should have written "Pirate" and "Reborn" with capital letters. Finally, some people will deduce points for using the Classic watermark on a card with Reborn. I'm afraid those are strong indicators for a 1 star rating if you don't get disqualified for the missing Pirate tag in the first place.

You should have come here before submitting, all of those mistakes would have been avoidable. It could have been a good enough entry, not the most creative, but solid enough.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium