Remove Ads - Go Premium

Old Gods, New Tricks - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager Buried Alive 760 583 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Competition Theme: Old Gods, New Tricks

Quick, the Old Gods are coming! We'd best design a card to appease them...

• You must create a Class minion with the Corrupt mechanic
      • Thankfully, Y'Shaarj isn't too picky - we don't mind if you leave out the Corrupted version of the card, given how tricky it might be to find appropriate art
    • Your minion must be of a minion type not typically associated with your Class
      • We need to make sure N'Zoth has enough fuel! Here's a list of the minion types we think are normally associated with each class:
        • Show Spoiler
          • Demon Hunter - Demons
          • Druid - Beasts
          • Hunter - Beasts, Mechs
          • Mage - Mechs, Elementals, Dragons
          • Paladin - Mechs, Murlocs, Dragons
          • Priest - Elementals, Dragons
          • Rogue - Pirates
          • Shaman - Elementals, Murlocs, Totems
          • Warlock - Demons
          • Warrior - Mechs, Pirates, Dragons

MathU and grumpymonk both gave us some great options for the competition this week, so we combined them into one Old God celebrating theme!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Nov 16 17:00 EST (GMT -0500). Runs until Sat, Nov 21 17:00 EST (GMT -0500)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Nov 21 17:00 EST (GMT -0500). Runs until Sun, Nov 22 16:00 EST (GMT -0500)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Nov 22 17:00 EST (GMT -0500). Runs until Mon, Nov 23 17:00 EST (GMT -0500)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• MenacingBagel's Avatar 505 617 Posts Joined 09/24/2019

I honestly expected this guy to show up in the xpac for some reason mostly to play off him becoming one with his costume or something

Only a fool thinks they know everything. I admit that I know nothing

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 270 249 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I had a pretty nice Corrupt idea, but the tribal part screwed it. So, here's my second idea:

EDIT: Found a new artwork. Its flavor might look kinda out of place in Paladin, but I dunno... Snack Run exists. Might still want to find a less stupid flavor, however.

Just in case you are interested, here's my previous iteration of the card:

Show Spoiler
    Yes, they're Pokémon

• DavnanKillder's Avatar Unicorn Reveler 190 28 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Some ideas.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad 1145 1398 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Really hard prompt.

"Everything is Chrome in the future."

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 855 1127 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

This is what I have so far; I'm not entirely happy with it.

"It's Dimensional Ripper with a body!" Well...yes, but you need to Corrupt it first. Pulls out fuel for N'Zoth, God of the Deep, and can even be used with Jungle Giants for a Big Druid deck in Wild.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• TheHoax91's Avatar Eldritch Horror 140 41 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I'm very much set on the Arbiter as a Priest-Mech. The art Blizzard released for her is just too good =)

Everything else is up for debate. Right now she guides the poor souls of the dead to your hand.

Quote From TheHoax91

I'm very much set on the Arbiter as a Priest-Mech. The art Blizzard released for her is just too good =)

Everything else is up for debate. Right now she guides the poor souls of the dead to your hand.

Sounds cool and all, but your card must use the Corrupt mechanic

• fungusABao's Avatar Design Finalist 90 16 Posts Joined 10/30/2020

First idea here:

• BloodMefist's Avatar Old God Fanatic 505 470 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

My two initial ideas.  I think I have a problem with Discard-lock, I keep making cards for it.  The first is meant to supplement the disruption in Tickatus Control-lock...with even more disruption.  The second version pushes my interest in multi-corrupt drifting as a mechanic, which I would like to see explored more.  The second certainly doesn't need to stay Warlock, so let me know if there's a class that seems better for it.

• Arkasaur's Avatar Design Champion 130 16 Posts Joined 09/12/2020
    Posted 2 weeks ago

My first idea for this theme uses some familiar art:

It's reminiscent of Lightning Breath, while also acting as a dragon to fit into that same deck. 

Flavour-wise, Razorscale was corrupted by Yogg-saron in Ulduar - so a perfect match for a corrupt mechanic.

• TheHoax91's Avatar Eldritch Horror 140 41 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah...I thought it was either the first or the second prompt... Both is rather limiting...

• Neoguli's Avatar Duskrider 405 245 Posts Joined 06/25/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

A fun idea for a card. It provides a lot of board presence when played, but you can't really play too many cards or else you won't play it. This may need a mechanical rework to maybe only increase the Cost while in hand.

Hearthcards deck creating enthusiast. Also previously known on Hearthpwn as Cooler39140 and Huoyan.

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some feedback in poor english u.u

Edit: Add some new feedbacks

MenacingBagel

Show Spoiler

WOW, congratulations for the idea to give this guy a card hahahah. Loved the idea of the corruption mad him a murloc, but because of the double detup, he need a tribe tag and I believed that there's no one who feets well =(.

Wailor

Show Spoiler

Good idea and a interesting concept to a booster minion in Paladin. I don't know if it's possible (at least I dont remember a card with some similar text) but I believed it will be extra intresting if he maintain the Elemental tag.

Demonxz95

Show Spoiler

Liked the idea and think is pretty solid, but it's simple so I don't know if the voters will be excited to the card.

linkblade91

Show Spoiler

Amazing, powerful and neat card. If really exists in the game, definitely see play. Sadly, for the few cards I have made, it seems that people don't usually like existing cards in a body in the competitions =(.
    For me, as a Magic player who see this
    occasionally, it's a 5-star.

TheHoax91

Show Spoiler

Very flavorful and powerful, but like Demonxz95 said, need corrupt =/.

fungusABao

Show Spoiler

I liked, but for 9 mana can be very hard to Corrupt. Maybe try it at 7-mana and I think will be fine.

BloodMefist

Show Spoiler

I liked the first option, but is banana strong. Star Student Stelina is a legendary with a similar effect, but has Outcast and "Discover-ish" as limitations and don't discard, and this version is much more strong. Maybe change to the "old Corrupt", like Chaos Gazer, but with some changes, like Corrupt 2 cards or something like that.

Arkasaur

Show Spoiler

Loved. I think it's pretty good, strong and balanced. Excelent job.

Neoguli

Show Spoiler

Great idea in the use of corrupt. Maybe change the restriction to Spells, for Mage-flavor. 

Posted 2 weeks ago

I made a feedback post, but acidentally deleted it =(.
    Maybe later I try it again u.u.

• MenacingBagel's Avatar 505 617 Posts Joined 09/24/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From TheHoax91

Yeah...I thought it was either the first or the second prompt... Both is rather limiting...

I did as well but King Mrgl Mrgl sort of flounders his way into the other requirement.

Oh and also some feedback

Show Spoiler

Wailor: I like soda elemental sure it doesn't have the most on-point flavour but paladin also has Yrel and a demon who was last seen in space so you know.

DavnanKillder: I like Murloc Gardner but I think it's too similar to dragon caller Alana or whoever she was but when has that stopped blizzard?

Demonxz95: Alright mate you win in the meme competition this round, solid card I would see it actually being played I personally don't think it needs changes

Linkblade: I think it's a neat card but with druid and its mana cheating junk I think it a bit scary.

Fungusabao: I like it that's it I just think its a neat card But maybe increase the stats just a little or make it cost ever so slightly less because otherwise, it falls into the same group as clown you blow all your mana to summon chad mc elemental only for him to take a polymorph or twisting nether to the face. And as with Link mana cheating druid junk could make this work

Mloodmesfit: I like the other version since warlock already has a multi corrupt card it would be neat if that was like a mini gimmick for them since they are the most corrupted class, and it looks fine balance-wise.

Arkasuar: Look fine and strong to me I'd say its perfectly powerful without being crazy

Neoguli: Yeah definitely needs an in hand rework or something since otherwise, you might just get an absolutely dead card later

Only a fool thinks they know everything. I admit that I know nothing

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From DavnanKillder

I made a feedback post, but acidentally deleted it =(.
    Maybe later I try it again u.u.

Fixed it. :)

The spam filter is a little bit wack sometimes.

Posted 2 weeks ago

Thanks! 

• KANSAS's Avatar 1280 2413 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

I am facing a dilemma. I have a good card idea, but I can't find any good art. Then I have some good art, but I don't have a good card to go with it.

Here is the card without good art:

Here is the card where I couldn't think of a good effect:

I just realized that they need to be class cards, I will stick this in a class later. Maybe warlock with some minor adjustments

Show Spoiler
    MenacingBagel, First off, I love the flavor. The guy in the murloc costume being corrupted and turned into an actual murloc is really cool. As for balance, it feels bit swingy. If you can't corrupt it, it is really bad. Corrupt cards should be sub-par in their pre-corrupted version, but I think this is just too bad. Also, in a dedicated murloc deck, you probably aren't playing anything that costs 6+ mana. I would reduce the cost and stats a little, and make the effect a bit smaller just to make it a bit more practical in a murloc deck.

Wailor, Becoming a copy of the target minion feels a bit random. It is fine in terms of balance and playability, but the second ability doesn't seem to have any connection to the flavor of the card.

DavnanKillder, I like the shaman card. But the corrupted version feels like kind of a lot for only a 2 mana corrupt card. I would increase the base health, and reduce the stats of the corrupted version. Murloc Gardener is probably my least favorite of the three. By turn 8, I think you could just say "fill your board with treants" instead of "for each spell you've cast this game". Also, corrupting an 8 cost minion is super card, especially for a token deck, and the reward feels a bit disappointing for the amount of work you would have to put into it. I do like the warrior card, but I think reducing the cost of your weapon is kind of useless since you will probably only equip one weapon over the coarse of this minions life. Similarly, buffing weapons as you equip them isn't very useful since you will probably only buff one. I would make him buff the attack of the weaopns in your hand, and when corrupted buff their durability as well.

Demonxz95, I like it. Browser references aside, I am a big fan of spell damage and would love to see more of it. I think you have hit a good balance of having it be playable on curve, but also worth hanging onto to corrupt in the future.

Linkblade91, I am a fan of 9 mana corrupt cards since the one we got in the expansion is a little bit of a letdown. The effect is pretty good for the cost, but I think it should pull 3 copies on the corrupt version instead of 2. Also, you should fix the wording to make it more consistent. Either, have the first version specify summoning a copy. Or, change the second version to pull two minions out of your deck.

TheHoax91, As Demon mentioned, you need to use the corrupt mechanic. Right now you would be disqualified.

FungusABoa, First off, you should say "an" instead of "a" since the following word (enemy) starts with a vowel. Concerning Balance, I don't think the corrupted version is good enough to justify how hard it would be to corrupt it. Dealing 7 damage is arguably better than having +7/+7 since it is more proactive and helps you to control the board. I would have the base version lose taunt, and have the second version gain taunt, and +7/+7, and keep the 7 damage battlecry.

BloodMefist, for the first version, I think it should cost a little more since straight up discarding a card from your opponents hand is really powerful. And even if it isn't that powerful, it is a very tilting mechanic and shouldn't be easily accessible. For the second version, I would put it in another class since warlock already has a double corrupt card at 4 mana epic, and it would feel weird if they go another and no other class got any. I think the effect is fine, but you should adjust the wording so that you don't have that one weird line in the middle with only one word in it.

Arkasaur, I love it. It is very flavorful with Shamans dragon breath having the same effect. I would love to have more proactive and efficient removal in shaman that doesn't have overload. I would reduce the cost and health to 5 to make it a bit easier to corrupt, but aside from that I think it is great!

Neoguli, This is really hard to evaluate, which isn't necessarily a good thing when people are judging your card. Having the cost increased is an interesting mechanic and not something we see a lot of. And when combined with corrupt it is even stranger. The higher the cost is, the harder it is to corrupt, but then once you do corrupt it it is a 0 mana 4/4 with rush. You could alternatively just not play cards and drop him on turn 3. I am not entirely sure what to make of this in terms of playability and balance, but I will say this; mage is a class which recently has taken on a theme of extreme spellslinging. They use cards like Sorcerer's Apprentice and Evocation to cast a ton of spells in one turn, and usually they don't play a lot of big expensive cards. Your card wants the opposite, it fits into a deck that plays only a few, more expensive cards. The design of this card clashes with the general design of the mage class.

• Neoguli's Avatar Duskrider 405 245 Posts Joined 06/25/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Quote From DavnanKillder
    Great idea in the use of corrupt. Maybe change the restriction to Spells, for Mage-flavor.

Thanks! I think your take is pretty fine, but then we come to times when Mage was actually viable by not having many spells - Book of Specters comes into play. I wonder if this would be a fine card powerlevel-wise to push the Minion Mage archetype back into spotlight. Maybe a slight nerf would do.

Hearthcards deck creating enthusiast. Also previously known on Hearthpwn as Cooler39140 and Huoyan.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium