Cross-Pollination - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Senior Moderator 1500 1110 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Competition Theme: Cross-Pollination

Time to see if you can nurture some nature!

• You must create a Class card that prominently features a plant or plant-like creature
    • Your card cannot be a Druid card
      • We couldn't make it too easy, now could we?

Link wants us to really flourish this week, so start digging for those ideas!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Mar 22 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, Mar 27 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Mar 27 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, Mar 28 16:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Mar 28 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, Mar 29 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad 2120 2207 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

This competition will naturally be a bit tricky, but I'm excited to see what you guys do.

I chose to make it a Shaman card because I feel that Mage could probably abuse it too easily, and they seem to be pushing SD Shaman so this seems like a natural fit.

• Nirast's Avatar Content Admin Snow-Covered 830 765 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Here's my first idea:

I put it in Scholomance as a reference to the Harry Potter tree. FYI: when it goes back to Dormancy, it retains any damage it took.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 1610 2073 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Probably sucks, but this is my first idea:

I designed it with Hack the System in mind: Armored Goon and the Quest provide payoffs for attacking with your hero, but you need to incorporate ways to...you know...attack. You can drop this, get the Thorn, then use it after you play Armored Goon the next turn.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 1610 2073 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

If anyone is curious where the idea for the prompt came from, it's my Alraune class: a plant/nature class that is separate from the Druid.

https://outof.cards/forums/fan-creations/custom-hearthstone/4724-custom-class-aisha-the-alraune-wip

That's also why we did the "Weapons with 1-Durability" prompt last Season: they're a major part of the class :) Just want to see what people can do with the themes...and maybe steal what artwork you find lol. I thought about straight-up supplanting one of my ideas from there for this competition, but decided against it.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• cydonianknight's Avatar 515 88 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

Very interesting theme for this one, especially with the banning of Druid cards. Thought I'd go for the most adorable Demon Hunter, Sklibb!

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 555 591 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

First idea so far.

This would exist instead of Vilespine Slayer, since hacing both of them in the same set would be kinda redundant.

I'll give some feedback tomorrow.

• Pokeniner's Avatar Fan Creator 205 67 Posts Joined 03/25/2020

Thoughts? Thief Priest looking into the mists of Ardenwald to obtain your knowledge, and cards.

Ever wonder what the rumble Run cards would be like in the HS world, well wonder no more and look at the custom collection created to solve that question in Rumble Run Returns! http://www.hearthcards.net/setsandclasses/#5363

• ChickyChick's Avatar Fan Creator 405 135 Posts Joined 06/18/2019

Do mushrooms/fungus count?

Ok

Link said yes on Discord.

• anchorm4n's Avatar 1690 1881 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Not so easy to find art this week, but I'm happy with my idea:

Any thoughts? I'm a bit worried about the Cost because this can become very nasty late in the game, but at least the player on the receiving end can see it coming once the Squashlings start rolling.

Pokeniner

Show Spoiler
    I really like the card, but the Nature spell tag feels off. Please make sure to add some info about the lore to your submission for us noobs!

Wailor

Show Spoiler
    I really like the idea of your card, but the art doesn't feel right in Ungoro. That expansion was all dinosaurs, elementals and plants and stuff, which gives you those natural prehistoric vibes. Your minion looks like a Demon which is too dark for this setting for my taste.

cydonianknight

Show Spoiler
    I'm sorry but I don't really get where the Plant theme comes to play here. Is Sklibb some kind of Fungus? It's been a while since I've played that Solo Adventure. I also think the effect is too weak for a legendary. Finally, the art is already used in Sklibb, Demon Hunter.

linkblade

Show Spoiler
    Nice idea, the synergy you've pointed out makes for a solid gameplan, especially considering that Bramble Behemoth might end up attacking more than once. The one issue I have is that I'm not feeling very comfortable with a tree-like monster out in the dessert and giving Warrior a Thorn as a weapon. They usually wield big swords and axes and stuff. Don't forget to add the token!

Nirast

Show Spoiler
    I'm a sucker for Harry Potter and your card pretty much nailed it. I'll have to think some more about its powerlevel, though - it's basically a completely unremovable Swamp King Dred. The only chance you have to fight this is by feeding it with your minions.

Demon

Show Spoiler
    I think it's okay, but not very creative. Also the "Bloom" cards that already are in the game have both something to do with Mana gaining, so applying Spell Damage to that term feels a bit off.

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Show Spoiler

anchorm4n: Interesting idea, but Hearthstone has usually steered clear of cards that need other cards to work, unless they were part of the same adventure (Stalagg and amd Feugen) or build-arounds given for free (C'Thun, the Galakronds). 

Pokeniner: Now this I like! Do you get the value now, or do you wait and greed it out? Love it! Balance seems fair, as well.

Wailor: Nice buff to Razorpetals. Maybe a little too nice. Not sure about the balance level of this card, it seems too strong. But on the other hand, you need to generate a lot of cards and your opponent needs a board for this to be worth it. Really hard for me to judge. If anything, this should probably be a Legendary.

cydonianknight: This looks like a fun guy! *ba dum tss* Pretty good synergy with the Illidary, but can pretty much break the game if you manage to copy Sklibb, becasue then you'll have an infinite army of 1/1s that just clear the board. And why is a mushroom person summoning Illidari?

linkblade91: Already touched on it in the Discord, I feel the attack is too small for the card.

Demonxz95: Still don't like the idea of permanent +1 Spell Damage. Especially since Shaman has Diligent Notetaker and Krag'wa, the Frog

• anchorm4n's Avatar 1690 1881 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Thanks Nirast. You're right, the card would be a 7 Mana whiff if you don't draw, play and kill your Squashlings in time. I think I have a solution for that, but now I'm really at a loss which Cost is appropriate. On the one hand, the card kills only enemy minions, which makes it better than Psychic Scream and Plague of Death. On the other hand, it's quite bad if you can't manage to kill the Squashlings and there's Lesser Onyx Spellstone which only costs 5 to kill 3, but has a harder (?) condition. Hmmmmm.

vs 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• Fedrion's Avatar Zombie 1675 733 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

One of the first plant you can gather in wow.

Papa Nurgle wants to share his gifts.

I definitely figured that Magic Bloom wouldn't be that interesting, but flavor comps by nature are quite tricky to manage especially with added restrictions.

Nonetheless, I do have two more cards I made.

Rosa is a woman who lives in a rose able to control the entire plant system of her forest, hiding in her giant rose until ready to strike.

When you do something that nature doesn't like however, sometimes it'll strike you back and entangle you in its roots, leaving you weak and helpless until someone can get you out.

EDIT: Noticed a mistake with Entanglement after Grumpymonk pointed it out. Corrected.

Feedback

Nirast
    Aside from a typo (should be "Mandragora", and not Madragora), this card seems fine. My only concern is that I don't know how many people that Dormant minions will retain damage when they go Dormant (I didn't at first). The DH part also seems a bit tacked on as this doesn't really look like much of a DH card, although I suppose it has synergy with Ace Hunter Kreen.

Linkblade91

Clearly this is an Alraune card in disguise. *wink, wink* (When are you going to keep going with that class by the way?)

This seems like a pretty fair card, though I feel like it could probably have one additional stat-point.

Cydonianknight
    I think using Sklibb here is a pretty clever use of the prompt. The card does seem a little bit weak, although as Nirast pointed out, you can basically go infinite if you somehow control 2 copies of this. I don't know if that's a problem or not.

Wailor
    I think this card is really flavorful, but I don't feel like Razorpetal synergy is really something to be pushed since there are only two cards that give them.

Pokeniner
    I really like the artwork of this card, and I also really like the effect. I don't really see any flavor though.

Anchorm4n
    This card feels really weird to me. I'm not sure if I like it. Name specific synergy for a random throw-away unplayable class Common doesn't exactly seem like my cup of tea, especially limited to one single card.

• KanzakiGin's Avatar Lion's Guard 745 208 Posts Joined 03/02/2021

Thought Hunter could use plants to help in the hunting :)

Rogue DH

• cydonianknight's Avatar 515 88 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

Thank you for feedback on my Sklibb card, it seems that while there are some balance issues with the card, the main problem seems to be the flavour. 

I must admit, not a lot of thought went into the card last night, I came back with fresh eyes this morning and decided to go for a different card altogether which hopefully fares a little better in terms of flavour and balance. 

Feedback

Demonxz95

Show Spoiler
    I like the simplicity of this card and I agree that this feels much better as a Shaman card than Mage. The thing is, four Mana is a lot to give up early on in the game when you would want to play this to get maximum value. Better in the late game, but still not able to extract much value from it. I am torn as to whether I feel the Mana cost should be lower or not. Still think it's a pretty good card though.

Nirast

Show Spoiler
    Love this card, think it's brilliant. Just a couple of tiny details for me that need changing: I think it's spelled "Mandragora" rather than "Madragora" and I think instead of the phrase "It attacks it" you could maybe change this to "This attacks it". Otherwise, wonderful card.

linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    Neat effect on the card, lovely callback to your custom class. The only thing for me, is that the size of the character in the art and the size of the stats feel a little mismatched. I'm unsure of what statline you would make this, but definitely at least 4 attack instead of 2. I do enjoy the synergy with the warrior quest though.

Wailor

Show Spoiler
    Bloody hell am I unsure of the balance of this one. We've seen from Professor Slate that this effect hasn't broken the game in any way, but Hunter is a different ball game as a class than Rogue. Despite all that though, this is 5 mana and 2 cards to destroy a minion. I think it could probably go down to 3, but I've honestly not got a clue. All I know is, I love Razorpetals.

Pokeniner

Show Spoiler
    Blimey I think this is awesome, makes your opponent think about what cards they wouldn't want you to have 2 copies of and make potentially worse plays to deny you some value. Great design.

anchorm4n

Show Spoiler
    I think your change to the card has brought it to a more balanced place. I still think 7 Mana is the best spot for the card, you need to draw the Squashlings and have them die to extract much value from your card. I do think you've readdressed the issues with the initial card brilliantly. 

• Ilphelkiir's Avatar 545 251 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I'm not planning to participate in this, but here is a great piece of art you guys can use:

http://www.artofmtg.com/art/roots/

• grumpymonk's Avatar 360 137 Posts Joined 04/02/2020

Hearthcards is down for me, so I can't share any cards, but I'll give feedback right now.

Show Spoiler

cydonianknight - The card looks interesting at first, but the deathrattle ends up being a very conditional form of poisonous. It only works when your opponent decides to attack into it, and only if its kills the minion. A 3 mana 1/4 taunt poisonous minion would just be okay in terms of power level, and this is quite a bit weaker than that. I would try to make the card more impactful.

KanzakiGin - Devouring in the title should be capitalized, and the deathrattle should start on a separate line from the other two keywords. Mana Crystal should be captialized, the word that should be taken out, the word has should not be in italics, and there is a missing period at the end. I also think that card is too powerful. Worst case scenario, its 6/6 worth of stats at 3 mana with extra abilities. 

Demonxz95 - I don't think Rosa the Thorn works well because minions lose stealth when they attack before they deal damage, making the second ability useless.

Entanglement is interesting, but the effect should last longer. As soon as your opponent activates the secret, they could just pass the turn and their minion returns to normal. As far I can see, it only stops rush minions and certain combos. That being, said, I like the card otherwise.

Fedrion - You submitted your card already, but I believe that the "until your next turn" part isn't necessary. Falling asleep only lasts 1 turn anyway, and forcing it to end on your next turn means that it wouldn't affect your minions at all. Your minions could attack before playing this spell, and they could attack again next turn.

anchorm4n - Not really a big fan of either design, sorry. The flavor is there, but the effect seems too forced in my opinion. It's too much of a dead card if you didn't draw your squashlings early enough.

Pokeniner - I like the card a lot! Should probably say add instead of gain though, as you 'add' cards to your hand, not 'gain' them.

Wailor - This is a very cool design. Since it is quite narrow, as it works with 2 cards in the entire game, I believe that it could be buffed to premium stats and still be balanced.

linkblade91 - Looks good, but I would make it have 3 attack.

Nirast - I like the boldness and the flavor, but I agree with anchorm4n that its hard to remove or play against.

Quote From grumpymonk

Hearthcards is down for me, so I can't share any cards, but I'll give feedback right now.

Show Spoiler

Demonxz95 - I don't think Rosa the Thorn works well because minions lose stealth when they attack before they deal damage, making the second ability useless.

Entanglement is interesting, but the effect should last longer. As soon as your opponent activates the secret, they could just pass the turn and their minion returns to normal. As far I can see, it only stops rush minions and certain combos. That being, said, I like the card otherwise.

Wait, really? Well shit.

Entanglement is supposed to be until their next turn. I made a mistake with the card text, and I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, so thank you for that.

Do also note that it triggers "when" the minion attacks and not "after" it attacks. If a minion tries to trade, it'll become a 0/2 before the damage connects resulting in your minion not taking any damage, and their minion most likely dying.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.