'Tis But A Scratch - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 370 321 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Sorry for the lack of feedback. I'll give some tomorrow.

Super sticky minion, kinda like a double divine shield. I'm thinking about using a 4/5 statline.

It's a bit similar to the card I used for the spellburst comp, but I guess that's not a big deal.

EDIT: Added the Taunt version.

I added a second version of my card which has -1/-1 and Taunt.

Demonxz95

Show Spoiler
    Interesting effect, but not super mind blowing. I might put it under the Priest class, but Neutral also works.

linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I think the second version of No Pain No Gain has a cooler effect, but I prefer it as a Hero card. I would give this new effect to Gargok, Battlemaster and maybe reduce a Mana point or two.

That said, both as a hero or as a spell, I'm a bit worried about the thematic similarity to Overlord Saurfang (you know, both summon Frenzy minions and trigger their effects).

cydonianknight

Show Spoiler
    Very cool card. One of my favorites so far.

KANSAS

Show Spoiler
    Your Timid Adventurer is a much better implementation of my former Barking Wolf. That said, the effect could be understood as a weakness more than as a benefit, so I think it could use an slightly above vanilla statline. I'm thinking about something like 2/4 stats.

grumpymonk

Show Spoiler
    The 4/4 version is definetly more balanced. The idea of negating its own drawback is quite elegant, IMO.

anchorm4n

Show Spoiler
    I thought your original Momma Bear had a shot of winning, but you managed to improve it with the 2/2 Bear Cub is so good. The flavor is off the roof.

That said, don't go with the 1/1 Bear Cub, please.

Nirast

Show Spoiler
    Pretty interesting cards, but Barrens Black Drake is definetly my favorite

• Misterious Wildkin: I like the idea of choosing Deathrattle or Frenzy, but the current effect won't lead to interesting mindgames. Also, the Deathrattle option seems much better, especially with the low Health this minion has.
    • Barrens Black Drake: The fact that it encourages your opponent to trigger the Frenzy is something we haven't seen yet and could lead to very interesting gameplay situations.
    • Hungry Crocolisk: Nice flavor, but the use of Frenzy doesn't seem very justified. Plus, the wording kinda assumes the Croc will get damaged during its Battlecry, but there might be situations when it doesn't (no minions on board or attacking 0-Attack minions) and it isn't super intuitive what would happen when the Frenzy effect triggers outside the Battlecry.

• shatterstar1998's Avatar Eevee 255 86 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

A couple of ideas for the week:

• Thalnos seem overpower until you realize to take advantage of his effect you need a decent board, a small friendly AoE or your opponent has number of small minions and a number of burst to take advantage of it.
    • Explore the Barrens immediately damage the Frenzy minion you Discover when it is played and is a good standalone card.
  • linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1300 1296 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

More feedback:

Show Spoiler

grumpymonk - I like it. Unlocking one overloaded crystal isn't much of a "payoff", 'though you can definitely benefit later on if you're spamming Overload.

Wailor - I think giving it Taunt might be too much, especially if the Paladin player is managed to buff its Health. Frenzy on a Paladin minion seems off flavor-wise, as well, but purely from a gameplay perspective I like the stickiness.

shatterstar1998 - Frenzy triggering is like a Battlecry or a Deathrattle, and not an on-going effect like having Spell Damage, so Thalnos seems weird. I like Explore the Barrens, though: as you said, it's a good standalone card.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1740 1788 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Damn, I've been late for the second round. Truth be told, I really can't think of anything else for this comp.

Anchorm4n
    You've already submitted, so I can't really give any feedback in terms of improving the card, but the card that you submitted is pretty good. I could see it being a finalist.

Linkblade91
    I do still stand by everything I've said about the card on Discord. Good luck with the scoring.

Nirast

I appreciate the idea of Misterious Wildkin (which has a typo by the way, it should be "Mysterious", unless it's supposed to be a pun), but the text is very clunky and doesn't look too good.

Barrens Black Drake feels mostly weak overall. Moat Lurker has never been an "okay" card and this isn't that much better.

Hungry Crocolisk is really flavorful, but it suffers from a few problems. Namely that good targets for it will be hard to come by since it has low Attack and Health, needs to kill the minion and survive the attack. Lots of variables there. It does also run into a problem that Wailor pointed out where it might attack something with 0 Attack and not get damaged. If that happens, then the Frenzy is basically gone. A less talked about problem with cards that gain stats when they die is that they don't work as the creator will have intended and the same works for this card. Since it's killing a minion, it won't gain any Health since the minion it's basing its Health gain off of is 0 or lower. In fact, if it's lower than 0 then it'll take further damage since it's trying to gain a negative number of Health.

Grumpymonk
    You've already submitted, but it looks pretty solid.

Shatterstar1998
    I prefer Explore the Barrens personally. Thalnos the Soulrender seems like it would be too difficult to use properly since it not only requires you to control a lot of minions and then damage them, but the classes that are most capable of accomplishing these tasks are typically not very good at bursting the opponent's hero which is basically what people use Spell Damage for.

• grumpymonk's Avatar 335 117 Posts Joined 04/02/2020

A little bit more feedback:

Nirast
    I think that Misterious Wildkin would be fine at 4 mana. At 6, it is much too overcosted in my opinion. A secret frenzy does sound like a great idea, but I'm not sure there's a meaningful choice with only 3 health. I would nearly always choose the deathrattle since it would easily die anyway. I also not a big fan with how clunky it reads at first and the amount of bolded text needed. I would take out "if this a" so it reads "Choose Deathrattle or Frenzy (Secretly)". Another possible suggestion is to go with the Fatespinner route, but with frenzy.

Barrens Black Drake is not bad, but I agree with demonxz95 that it is not very powerful.

As for Hungry Crocolisk, triggering frenzy is a conditional effect, unlike battlecry and deathrattle. Having a conditional effect on top of it makes this hard to use. I believe that frenzy effects should work in a vacuum, barring any situations such as empty boards or hands. That's why I made the card I added overload 1 to the card I submitted, to make the frenzy worth something without having to run other overload cards.

Wailor
    I've seen a lot of spellburst cards with this type of effect, so this doesn't excite me that much personally. That being said, I still like both versions. I would go with the first one.

shatterstar1998
    Thalnos should probably say "Frenzy: Gain Spell Damage +1". I find it a little weird that he gives himself the frenzy effect but can't actually be triggered unless there's a buff to its health.

Explore the Barrens is very nice. Like a studies card, but instead of the discount, it guarantees value on the board

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1715 2735 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I made it neutral, bumped up the stats slightly, and fixed the wording.

Additional feedback:

anchorm4n:

Show Spoiler
    I prefer the 2 mana 1/3 version. I think in general you will have better chances with a more grounded and simple card.

Linkblade91:

Show Spoiler
    Everything looks good!

Nirast:

Show Spoiler
    Mysterious Wildkin seems way underpowered as an epic 6 mana 4/3 that gains you 8 armor. I would decrease the cost, increase the health, and also change the wording to "Choose one (secretly): Frenzy or Deathrattle Gain 8 armor." or maybe "Choose Frenzy or Deathrattle (secretly): Gain 8 armor" I am not entirely sure what the proper wording would be here. I don't like Hungry Crocolisk. The mechanic is weird as the frenzy only happens if the minion dies, but it can only trigger if the Crocolisk doesn't die. I do think Barrens Black Drake is your best card. It is unique in being the only minion where you don't want the frenzy to trigger, but your opponent does.

grumpymonk:

Show Spoiler
    I do still feel like at turn 3 it is almost impossible for the frenzy not to trigger. I would either reduce the health to 2 or 3, or increase the cost and stats so it comes in later.

I like the idea of having a downside on the card and a frenzy to mitigate it, but right now it feels too easy to ignore the overload.

Wailor:

Show Spoiler
    I like it. I do think it should have taunt to make the double divine shield feel more relevant, but the 2/5 stat line feels kind awkward. I would make it a 6 mana 4/5, or a 5 mana 3/5, or something around there.

shatterstar1998:

Show Spoiler
    I like Explore the Barrens better. I don't think it needs to be an epic since it doesn't feel terribly powerful and this isn't the type of card I would want to spend 400 dust on. But aside from that it looks great.

Carrion, my wayward grub.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1300 1296 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 1 week, 6 days ago

You have roughly 24 hours left to submit, if you have not done so already!

@KANSAS - That looks good.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Almaniarra's Avatar Devoted Outlander 805 1278 Posts Joined 03/21/2019
    Quote From anchorm4n

Here's my idea, it's about a big mama bear protecting her cub when danger arises. I'll add feedback later today.

I feel like you should add "Deathrattle: Trigger Momma Bear's Frenzy effect." to Bear Cub or sth. like that. That might make you need to tinker their stats tho but it would be so flavourful. :)

Edit: Oh You've changed your card, anyways gl . :)

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1715 2735 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Made it just in time!

Carrion, my wayward grub.

Posted 1 week, 5 days ago

Good luck, everyone!

Posted 1 week, 4 days ago

Good luck to all finalists!

I do have a question though, why are there ten finalists for this week when there's usually eight? Was there a three-way tie for eighth place?

Quote From grumpymonk

Was there a three-way tie for eighth place?

Yep!

• sinti's Avatar Global Moderator Barrens Sleuth 1830 2292 Posts Joined 10/20/2018

Good luck everyone!

Forged in the Barrens GuideCore Set 2021 - Year of the GryphonHearthstone Mercenaries
    ~ Have an idea? Found a bug? Let us know! ~
    ~ Join us on Discord ~

Posted 1 week, 3 days ago

Grats, anchor. Very well deserved first place.

Congratulations anchorm4n!

• anchorm4n's Avatar 1470 1423 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

Thank you very much! And a special thanks to KANSAS who was a big help forming my initial idea into its final design!

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium