Alternate Spelling - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager Buried Alive 1325 920 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 5 months ago

Competition Theme: Alternate Spelling

We're looking for the latest thing in spellcasting this week - don't stick to the old school!

• You must create a spell of a Spell School not normally associated with that class
      • Obviously, your spell can't be neutral either - no sneaking around the restrictions!
    • The Spell Schools not allowed for each class are listed in the spoiler below
      • Show Spoiler
        Demon Hunter: Fel, Shadow
        Druid: Arcane, Nature
        Hunter: Fire, Nature
        Mage: Arcane, Fire, Frost
        Paladin: Holy
        Priest: Holy, Shadow
        Rogue: Nature, Shadow
        Shaman: Fire, Frost, Nature
        Warlock: Fel, Fire, Shadow
        Warrior: Fire, Nature

MathU wants us to expand our knowledge base for this competition. Maybe you'll come up with the next big archetype?

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, May 17 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, May 22 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, May 22 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, May 23 16:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, May 23 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, May 24 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• Wailor's Avatar Design Champion 410 370 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

First batch of cards. Decided to go for flavor on this one.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1445 1621 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

Intended to pair well with Bolvar, Fireblood and Light's Sorrow. I might increase the cost so I can increase the buff to +2/+4 or something more substantial.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1760 1893 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

I'm not sure if the Shadow tag goes as well with the card as I thought it would, but I guess I should post it anyway.

• R's Avatar Design Champion 785 613 Posts Joined 04/23/2020
    Posted 5 months ago

feed

Wailor - All of them is nice and flavorfull. Puryfing Flames is strong, but maybe it should be 2 mana? Forest Fire has an interesting combo. Also I think that Hibernate's effect is not allowed, beceuse of "friendly Beast". It's ok for hunter, but bad when other classes gets it.

linkblade91 - Maybe it's just me, but I don't like all this "loses divene shield" stuff.

Demonxz95 - Now it's like a Healing Touch with downvote. I think it should me 2 mana or give more armor

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1590 1684 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

The flavor is almost bound to be a bit off with this theme, but here is what I came up with:

I'm trying to bring the spell generation and the Dragon themes for Priest from Ashes of Outland together in this one. It's a quite powerful effect so maybe 4 Mana is still too cheap.

R
    I like the pun but giving Mage a card that draws 2 for 2 Mana over two turns is probably not the best idea.

Demon
    I think the card has potential, but the "Give your hero Taunt" effect might cost you some points. There's no card like this in the game and while Valeera is able to gain Stealth, Taunt doesn't come as naturally for Garosh (or Uther).

linkblade
    For me, you have managed to create the most flavorful card yet. My (minor) problem with Forsake the Light is Lothraxion the Redeemed (and to a lesser extent Steward of Darkshire). It's good you've put the card in Frozen Throne, but it would be a massive threat in todays Odd Paladin. Maybe make it cost 2?

Wailor
    I like Purging Flame the most, very flavorful idea. Hibernate is a bit off because the Beast has to die first which doesn't fit the Hibernation theme very well. Forest Fire is okay, but Druid usually doesn't sacrifice their own minions. So yeah, the Priest card is the best in my eyes.

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• ChickyChick's Avatar Fan Creator 390 123 Posts Joined 06/18/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

Warrior is my favourite Nature spell user.

Ok

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1760 1893 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From ChickyChick

Warrior is a very weird class for the prompt, and this is something that we actually spoke about while discussing the specifics of it. Warrior (and to a lesser extent, Hunter) is a class that unlike all the others, does not have a main spell school of choice. They have the least amount of tagged spells in the game at only 5. Fire and Nature were the two biggest ones in the class, both having 2, so we decided to go with that

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 1225 1286 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From ChickyChick

Warrior is a very weird class for the prompt, and this is something that we actually spoke about while discussing the specifics of it. Warrior (and to a lesser extent, Hunter) is a class that unlike all the others, does not have a main spell school of choice. They have the least amount of tagged spells in the game at only 5. Fire and Nature were the two biggest ones in the class, both having 2, so we decided to go with that

Follow up question: why did warrior and hunter need 2 schools to begin with when paladin only has holy? Pally has 2 shadow spells but that wasn't forced onto the class.

I can easily see why warrior would have fire for thematic reasons (smelting metal for weapons and armour), even if it rarely makes its way onto cards. But as with paladin's shadow spells, the reasons for the nature tag in warrior are completely external to the class (either a poison from rogue or just because Un'Goro was all about nature) in a way that would be quite fitting for this competition.

Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From AngryShuckie
    Quote From Demonxz95
    Quote From ChickyChick

Follow up question: why did warrior and hunter need 2 schools to begin with when paladin only has holy? Pally has 2 shadow spells but that wasn't forced onto the class.

I can easily see why warrior would have fire for thematic reasons (smelting metal for weapons and armour), even if it rarely makes its way onto cards. But as with paladin's shadow spells, the reasons for the nature tag in warrior are completely external to the class (either a poison from rogue or just because Un'Goro was all about nature) in a way that would be quite fitting for this competition.

In the case of Nature Warrior spells vs Shadow Paladin spells, there are two factors at play here: The flavor of the class as a whole, and the total number of spell cards in the class that have spell types.

2 out 5 Warrior spells with types are Fire spells, or in other words, they make up 40% of Warrior spells with types. Compare that to Paladin Shadow spells, which makes up 2 out of 45 Paladin spells with types, which is only 4.4% of Paladin spells with types.

And then there's class flavor. As you pointed out, fire is an occasional thematic element for Warrior even if it isn't the main focus of the card as it would be for a Mage or Shaman card for instance. While nature is not necessarily a thematic element for Warrior, there is not anti-thematic association either as there is for Shadow spells in Paladin which are supposed to be flavored around being warriors of the light and standing for everything that's right. Shadow spells seem very anti-thematic to the class in a huge way, compared to Fire and Nature to Warrior which are not.

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 1225 1286 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From Demonxz95

In the case of Nature Warrior spells vs Shadow Paladin spells, there are two factors at play here: The flavor of the class as a whole, and the total number of spell cards in the class that have spell types.

2 out 5 Warrior spells with types are Fire spells, or in other words, they make up 40% of Warrior spells with types. Compare that to Paladin Shadow spells, which makes up 2 out of 45 Paladin spells with types, which is only 4.4% of Paladin spells with types.

And then there's class flavor. As you pointed out, fire is an occasional thematic element for Warrior even if it isn't the main focus of the card as it would be for a Mage or Shaman card for instance. While nature is not necessarily a thematic element for Warrior, there is not anti-thematic association either as there is for Shadow spells in Paladin which are supposed to be flavored around being warriors of the light and standing for everything that's right. Shadow spells seem very anti-thematic to the class in a huge way, compared to Fire and Nature to Warrior which are not.

I've seen/read enough man vs nature stories that I'm predisposed to thinking the guy forging metal armour is thematically opposed to nature, but never mind. I'll leave any arguments to whoever wants to make a nature warrior spell (if any such person exists).

• Hordaki's Avatar 650 261 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

Well this semester has been brutal but now I should have the time to compete again. Yay!

This would have released back in Kobolds to support Silver Hand Recruit decks. It's nice that spell schools are retroactive so I can actually use former expansions as a base in this comp.

I'll try to come back and give feedback soon.

-Hordaki (rhymes with Mordecai)

Check out the Tactician custom class!

• Nirast's Avatar Content Squad Snow-Covered 705 537 Posts Joined 04/01/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

Got 2 ideas for Frost Warrior:

Feedback

Show Spoiler

Wailor: Flavor-wise, I like Hibernate the most, though it might be on the weak side. Same for Purging Flame, it could easily cost 2 and deal 4, since it's minion only (I would've said 1 and 3, but then it's just a better Holy Smite). Forest Fire seems fine, since it's in Druid.

linkblade91: Cool idea, but it might get out of hand with

Quote From Author
    Lothraxion the Redeemed

Demonxz95: It works with the flavor, not so much the mechanic (there's nothing shadow-y about it). Balance-wise, the card seems fine, since it leaves your hero kinda vulnerable.

R: Felocity is absolutely busted, and doesn't really fit rogue at all. Magifincent (Magnifincent would work better) is alright, though I can't really think of a burn-loc deck in shaman (though an OTK deck with it would work).

anchorm4n: This is incredibly weak, you need to cast 3 spells AND pay 4 mana? This could cost 6 and loose the spell cast requirement, though that might loose some flavor. Alternatively, you could make the card cost 3, maybe 2, but that's a stretch.

Hordaki: Seems balanced, even if I initially thought it might be overcosted.

• grumpymonk's Avatar 340 133 Posts Joined 04/02/2020
    Posted 5 months ago

Mage is the only class that I haven't submitted a card for this season, so I decided to go with that. My first thought was that of blood mages who incorporate elements of demonic magic into the usual mage abilites. This represents your hero delving into dark magic for a bit, providing efficient damage at the cost of health. This is also hero power support in mage that it could some more of.

Feedback - I have more time these next few weeks so I'll try to be more active:

Wailor
    Purging Flame isn't too innovative, but it works well flavorfully and mechanically.

The biggest issue with Hibernate is that it is a secret that only affects beasts, which makes it narrow. Normally, secrets refer to minions or spells in general so your opponent can reasonbly activate them. Also, the minion dying and coming back to life doesn't seem like the best fit for the flavor.

Forest Fire has a cool effect and good flavor, but I think giving Druid that much AOE is a bit too far outside their class identity in my opinion. The sacrificing part is fine as a bend, as I expect some of that for this week to fit the flavor. However, I think clearing the enemy board undermines Druid's weaknesses a bit too much. I find Poison Seeds a bit questionable from a class identity standpoint currently.

Linkblade91
    I think this could be read as giving all your minions the buffs, not just the ones that lose divine shield, which also stack. For instance, removing 2 divine shields results in giving all your minions +2/+4 for only 1 mana! I'm not sure if that that's what you intended. I've attached a wording change that shows what I think the card is supposed to do, but it seems kind of weak so maybe I read it wrong. Overall, I think the idea is great and very flavorful!

Some other people have suggested that it could be too strong with Lothraxion the Redeemed, but I don't see how a +1/+2 board buff for 1 mana that takes away divine shield is too strong later in the game unless I read the card wrong. 

Show Spoiler

Demonxz95
    I could see this fitting a shadow spell. It makes your hero more likely to take damage, and a lot of shadow stuff is in warlock which likes to take self damage. Since the taunt effect is more of a sidegrade, as it is sometimes good to protect the board but can also be bad if you just want to stay alive longer, I think the card could be buffed up a bit. 

R
    Felocity should probably cost 2. I don't see any part of the card that suggests that it fits better in mage than in warlock, either by flavor or mechanics, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not sure how powerful Magnifincent is, but I appreciate bridgeing between two different shaman archetypes and the pun.

anchorm4n
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I feel like the card is trying to do a bit too much and as a result the different parts don't fit well as a result. Right now, it looks like three disjointed effects that demand a lot of conditions for it to work. It seems unplayable outside of a few specific scenarios and the high roll potential may be unfun for the opponent. I would try to find one effect that satifies all the synergies you were looking for, which is hard to find, or try to satisfy two of these instead of three.

Hordaki
    I like the flavor and idea. If Paladin wasn't such a strong class in constructed, I would have suggested lowering the cost to 4, but I think its ok to leave it as is. Paladin also doesn't really get AOE outside of Consecration, but I don't think it undermines its weakness that much so its ok.

Nirast
    I think I like Forged in Frost more. It is a flavorful way for warrior to have a freeze spell works differently from mage and shaman. I think Frostbite could be annoying to deal with and make people think a lot of Frost Nova even if it is symmetrical.

• Ilphelkiir's Avatar 520 242 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

I have a question - would dual class cards be allowed for these kinds of competitions? What restrictions would be on them?

• Nirast's Avatar Content Squad Snow-Covered 705 537 Posts Joined 04/01/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From Ilphelkiir

I have a question - would dual class cards be allowed for these kinds of competitions? What restrictions would be on them?

My guess would be yes, but both halves must respect the rules (example: a Mage-Rogue spell can't be Frost or Arcane, since those are Mage schools). I remember during the plant comp that I wanted to make a Druid-Hunter card and wasn't allowed, since Druid was banned. 

• ChickyChick's Avatar Fan Creator 390 123 Posts Joined 06/18/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From Ilphelkiir

My guess is that they can be used, but couldn't use forbidden schools of any class, though it's not me who decides.

Guess it's feedback time!:

@Wailor

Show Spoiler
    I like Forest Fire the most. The other ones are good too, but Purging Fire is probably too simple, although I feel cards like these are a bit overrated, so you may actualy end up well with it, and Hibernate is probably a bit too specific for a Secret.

@linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I'd say this is pretty weak. Divine Shield is probably not worse than 2 Health, so at best you could consider this as good as +1 Attack area buff, but this is also conditional. There are few synergies with losing Divine Shield, but it's probably not worth it.

@Demonxz95

Show Spoiler
    I'd say this could be bumped to 10 Armor. I'd say that gaining Taunt is not worth much, though I definetely seeit as a rather positive effect, and for a card which gives plain Armor 3 Mana may much. You may also change it to 2 Mana, and then, maybe reduce it to 7 Armor.

@R

Show Spoiler
    While destroying 1 of your Mana Crystals is harsh, Felocity is rather overpowered, and when used at 7+ Mana it's still good, because card draw doesn't lose as much power as other cheap cards, and destroying a Mana Crystal is not as much punishing then. Increasing it to 2, or maybe even 3 Mana might be good.

Magifincent maybe should cost 1 Mana? I'm not sure, but this may be hard to swarm board with Murlocs and cast spells.

@anchorm4n

Show Spoiler
    Honestly, I'm not fan of spells which start with 'if'. Not sure why. Also, maybe giving it some spell synergy, but in a different form might be a good idea, as well as with higher cost the card actualy may look interesting simply without the condition. It's kinda cool effect.

@Hordaki

Show Spoiler
    Looks kinda weak in comparison to Chaos Nova, because you usualy still play some minions except Recruits. On the other hand, at 4 Mana it's probably better than Consecration or Hellfire. Maybe it's fine at 5 tho.

@Nirast

Show Spoiler
    I feel like Frostbite may as well be Shaman card, and would fit better. I like Forged in Frost tho, also you may change it to Forged in Cold, but that's only my preference, not sure about how other would think

@grumpymonk

Show Spoiler
    Looks kinda weak, 3 damage for 1 Mana is good, but you have to cast your Hero Power kinda reminds me of the 1/1 from Rastakhans Rumble, and you still take 4 damage, or more if your HP is buffed. Still it has pretty good synergy with the new Mage legendary. Still feels kinda weak tho.

Ok

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1445 1621 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 5 months ago
    Quote From grumpymonk

Linkblade91
    I think this could be read as giving all your minions the buffs, not just the ones that lose divine shield, which also stack. For instance, removing 2 divine shields results in giving all your minions +2/+4 for only 1 mana! I'm not sure if that that's what you intended. I've attached a wording change that shows what I think the card is supposed to do, but it seems kind of weak so maybe I read it wrong. Overall, I think the idea is great and very flavorful!

Some other people have suggested that it could be too strong with Lothraxion the Redeemed, but I don't see how a +1/+2 board buff for 1 mana that takes away divine shield is too strong later in the game unless I read the card wrong. 

Show Spoiler

Your initial read is correct: it could buff minions that don't have Divine Shield, and it could stack if there are multiple Shields being stripped away. I plan to make it 2-mana, to remove its availability from Odd Paladin; would that be enough?

I'm really hesitant to go too far with nerfing this, because it is conditional and you're losing something in the process.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Ilphelkiir's Avatar 520 242 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 5 months ago

Here's something I threw together - what do you guys think? The card is worded this way in order to work with druid's ramp theme.

• allthehype's Avatar Crossroads Historian 535 674 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I've got an idea but I'm not sure in which direction to take it. Here are my two first alternatives of the same flavor. TRIGGER WARNING: One is an iteration of Deck of Lunacy. The other is obviously inspired by Renounce Darkness but I think that card is associated with less PTSD. Yeah, in a way they are basically rip-offs, but I like the flavor and maybe it could work anyway?

The wording is chosen to affect spells in both your hand and deck.

Feedback appreciated: Which one is better? Frozen throne watermark OK? Balanced for its cost/rarity? Are they too unoriginal?

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium