Remove Ads - Go Premium

Pure Of Heart - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 560 421 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 4 days, 8 hours ago

Competition Theme: Pure Of Heart

We're looking to give people the purest deckbuilding experience possible this week - get those Neutral cards away from us!

• You must create a card which has an effect when you have no Neutral cards in your deck
      • We're specifically looking for the phrase 'no Neutral' here - no getting around it with something like 'only spells'
    • Your card cannot be a Paladin card
      • We've seen what Paladins have to offer already - what benefits do the other classes get?

This week anchorm4n is forcing us to pick a side - nobody can stay Neutral in this competition!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Sep 14 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, Sep 19 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Sep 19 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, Sep 20 16:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Sep 20 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, Sep 21 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

No thread rules were added to this season. Please populate and manually edit this thread with them.

Welcome to the site!

• thepowrofcheese's Avatar 165 107 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Demon hunter should be excluded because they only play class cards anyway, lol

I make bad custom Hearthstone cards sometimes.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 765 1103 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

We still have no Hunter winners yet, so here I come to change that.

• Hoax91's Avatar 15 1 Posts Joined 04/03/2019
    Posted 4 days, 7 hours ago

Can I make a neutral card?

• shaveyou's Avatar 220 160 Posts Joined 06/08/2019

Hmm, not massively feeling this theme. I feel the "pure" deck building restriction fits paladin so well, it would feel weird in other classes.

Oh well, here goes anyway.

Like Demonxz95, I want to get a hunter card in the Winners Gallery. I thought I'd play around with a card that would be (semi) playable if randomly generated, rather than being entirely dedicated to a "pure" theme. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with anything better, but as well, thoughts are appreciated.

I'll jump back later and give feedback when there's a couple more cards to look at.

• TheHoax91's Avatar Design Finalist 100 28 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Could I post this (grossly overpowered as it is) without being disqualified, or do you want to update the rules?

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 765 1103 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Quote From TheHoax91

Could I post this (grossly overpowered as it is) without being disqualified, or do you want to update the rules?

I'm not really a fan of this. You can just run Neutral cards and mostly negate the downside

• thepowrofcheese's Avatar 165 107 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Hoax91

No because then you’d have a neutral card in your deck...

I make bad custom Hearthstone cards sometimes.

• TheHoax91's Avatar Design Finalist 100 28 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 4 days, 6 hours ago
    Quote From thepowrofcheese
    Quote From Hoax91

Could I make a Neutral card?

No because then you’d have a neutral card in your deck...

Not when it's in my hand obviously...

Per the rules it is allowed, which is why I asked if they want to change that. No reason to downvote in discussion thread imo.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 705 1028 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 4 days, 5 hours ago

Here's my first idea:

I tried to do justice to Kil'jaeden by turning your devotion to the Legion into the ultimate all-in burn bomb. This could be much better than Pyroblast, but you have to discard your entire hand to do it. If it's too strong I can drop it to 1-damage-per-card, but it is a 10-mana card with a condition so hopefully it's fine *shrugs*

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Arkasaur's Avatar 30 2 Posts Joined 09/12/2020
    Posted 4 days, 3 hours ago

Hi everyone,

I've got 2 cards that I would appreciate some thoughts on:

Skyhold Val'kyrStampeding Riverwallow

linkblade91 - Even with the deckbuilding restriction its far too strong. Warlock's card draw is high enough that its possible to play this in a hand-lock deck without actually having to meet the restriction (Like they were doing with Zephrys and DQA), and discarding your hand doesnt matter when it just wins you the game like 20 damage would often do. I'd suggest maybe splitting the damage among minions but not discard the hand? Sort of a no-downside deathwing then.

Demonxz95 - I think Shandris is pretty comparable to Sir Finley of the Sands in effect and statline. It looks good and is a good payoff for a more controlling style hunter.

shaveyou - The baseline effect of the lone hunter seems a bit too good for what its no-neutral effect gives on top. Maybe reduce the statline a little.

• grumpymonk's Avatar 145 55 Posts Joined 04/02/2020
    Posted 4 days, 3 hours ago

The prompt says to make a card with an effect that happens with no neutral cards in the deck, but could that effect be .... not activating a drawback? 

I'm not sure if this card would be vaild for this week, but the idea is that this minion is gatekeeping you from summoning it by making you pay a price unless your deck is full of Warlock cards.  I'm following in shaveyou's footsteps by making a semi-playable minion without having to commit to the theme.

Demonxz95 -  This looks really good.  Control hunter needs tools and this is a good reward for this type of restriction.  I don't see any suggestions for improvement.  This looks like it could be a winner!

shaveyou - There's definitely room for Troll Batrider to be better, but this might be a little too much.  I would suggest 2 damage instead. As for the no neutrals effect, it's a little weird for hunter to get straight-up hard removal.  Lightforged Crusader also stretches that paladin identity a little with massive card generation, but it does feel more natural to me by rewarding a full paladin deck by giving more paladin cards.

TheHoax91 - As demonxz95 said, it's easy to negate the downside by running just a few neutral cards.  Maybe make the spell damage part of the no neutrals effect?  It would admittely make the card useless outside a impure deck, but it would stop any loopholes.

linkblade91 - This seems .... anticlimatic?  There's the pyroblast problem, sure, but if you're not hitting face, it doesn't impactful enough to spend all those resources to essentially destroy a single minion.  I think if it would be better and more fitting of the character's standing if it dealt damage to all enemies instead.  If face damage is too much, it could damage only enemy minions instead.

Arkasaur - Not a lore expert, but I'm not seeing the Skyhold Val'kyr connection to warrior.  My first impression is that is should be a priest card because priest gets resurrection effects, but maybe there's a flavor reason that I'm not seeing.

I think I prefer Stampeding Riverwallow, both from a flavor and mechanics perspective. It provides a good tool for midrange and control hunter build which can easily adapt to a no neutral list.

• BasilAnguis's Avatar Kobold 365 192 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 4 days, 2 hours ago

Two variations of the same idea. I really like thre art of the first one but the second probably is better. The whole scarlet crusade and inquisition fits the "pure priest" theme perfectly.

I'll boop you 

• grumpymonk's Avatar 145 55 Posts Joined 04/02/2020
    Posted 4 days, 1 hour ago
    Quote From BasilAnguis

Two variations of the same idea. I really like thre art of the first one but the second probably is better. The whole scarlet crusade and inquisition fits the "pure priest" theme perfectly.

I think having the ability to steal your opponent's Deathwing and hitting them for 12 would make for a miserable play experience.  Limiting to 4 or less attack or specifying that the stolen minion has rush would be make it less unfun for the opponent.

• BloodMefist's Avatar Design Finalist 325 307 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 4 days ago

Always sad to see your own card score low on the transparency report :/ Oh well, new week new contest!

Baseline its a worse Chaos Nova, but in the condition its a much better Flamestrike.  A potentially powerful tool for pure control Warlocks, but running Warlock cards can be challenging considering their typical low quality and situational nature.

Feedback sometime tomorrow

• R's Avatar 305 90 Posts Joined 04/23/2020
    Posted 3 days, 23 hours ago

Feedback first

Show Spoiler

Demonxz95 - a pretty simple and good card. nothing more to add.

shaveyou - dealing 3 damage to a minion for 4 mana and getting a 5/3 minion is already good, but being able to kill ANY minion if there are no neutral cards in the deck is too much for this mana.

TheHoax91 - "I'm not really a fan of this. You can just run Neutral cards and mostly negate the downside." (C)

linkblade91 - considering that card draw is not a warlock's weak point, this is too strong. it is enough to discard only 5 cards to deal 10 damage and also get a 12/12 minion.

Arkasaur - a resurrection warrior? no way. the hunter's beast is not bad, but I'm not sure about the stats.

grumpymonk - too much for 5 mana. most likely you need to raise it to 6 or 7. just imagine a zoolock playing it on turn 4 with a coin.

BasilAnguis - need a limit on the attack value of the stolen creature

BloodMefist - 6 damage is too much

Submission then

Too many ideas... What can you say about these guys?

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 635 860 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

I'll go with the card I had initially created for OOC's birthday:

In Hearthstone, being Out Of Cards means going to fatigue which is usually a bad thing. With The Last Unicorn, I took the sting out of that and made it a win condition. This card allows you to pump up your deck with priest's great control tools and watch your opponent's slow and painful death once both decks are empty. Gang up with Galakrond, the Unspeakable for infinite reload! I've put it in Priest because they have no easy access to weapons and are a strong control class. The Unicorn makes for great purity flavor. What do you think?

[Just to be clear: I have not suggested this week's theme to be able to drop this card. Linkblade actually gave me the idea with their Edwin card from last week - I wanted to see how other classes would deal with the restriction.]

Feedback!

BloodMefist

Show Spoiler
    Solid card. "Neutral" needs a capital N.

BasilAnguis

Show Spoiler
    I like it. While I understand your reasoning about the second version having more WOW-connections, I think the card would do better with the Dragon tag (especially in Wild), so my vote goes for the first version.

grumpymonk

Show Spoiler
    Very cool and creative idea! It should have Taunt for some extra flavor.

Arkasaur

Show Spoiler
    I don't get why the first card is in Warrior, resurrection isn't one of their things. The Hunter card looks very neat, though. You should add a comma after "Neutral cards", but otherwise it looks pretty fine.

linkblade

Show Spoiler
    I really like the card, but I agree with the others that it's OP as it is. My first thought was that the damage should be randomly spread among all enemies, but that's probably too much text. Reducing it to 1 damage per card would be a good solution imho, but I'll think some more about it.

TheHoax91

Show Spoiler
    I agree with Demon, it's too easy to work around the downside. Make it a Mage card and you're fine.

shaveyou

Show Spoiler
    I like this very much, especially because it's not useless if the condition isn't fulfilled. Solid stats, great effect, perfect mana slot. Well done! It should say "has" instead of "contains", though.

Demon

Show Spoiler
    I don't like this very much to be honest. dwarfen sharpshooter is such a succes because it's a 1 drop which enables you to take out your opponent's minions for the first 1-3 turns. Shandris can't be safely used until turn 5 when most minions have more than 2 Health. So in my books, protecting this minion, paying 2 mana per shot and being able to target only one minion per turn just isn't good enough after the first few turns. The card would be fine if it was a start of game effect instead of a battlecry (I'm curious if someone will make such a card), though. What do you think about that?

Double the pride, double the fall.

• Neoguli's Avatar Champion of Runeterra 285 194 Posts Joined 06/25/2019

Surprised nobody thought of Rogue yet for this competition. So these are my takes on the entry. Both versions relate to scavenging, except the first one is similar to Zephyrs, and the other literally steals a card from your opponent. It can still change, but these are my initial ideas to create a card for Pure Rogue that feels powerful enough to incentivize running no Neutral cards.

Hearthcards deck creating enthusiast. Also previously known on Hearthpwn as Cooler39140 and Huoyan.

• JackJimson's Avatar 245 271 Posts Joined 11/19/2019
    Posted 3 days, 22 hours ago

New to this. First attempt lol.

Been trying out (and failing) beast hunter. I feel the deck lacks payoff cards, so made me think of this one. Hunter's theme are beasts so I wanted to highlight that one. Thematically, the card depicts hunter cornering their pray with the help of their animal companions. 

Functionally, the card can work like a way to isolate specific minions to kill. You can trade on board to control (to an extent) which minions go dormant, then use beasts on hand for the kill. If opponents have 2 or less minions, you can use this to delay them and go face. Also has synergy with Krolusk Barkstripper as an activator and creates fodder for Scavenging Hyena.

I feel I went a little high on the numbers since the conditions are very specific which balances them somewhat.

• bigcums's Avatar Dragon Scholar 125 81 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 3 days, 22 hours ago

My first idea, any thoughts ?

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium