Dr. Boom, Mad Genius

The Boomsday Project
    Magma Rager 105 13 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Dr. Boom, Mad Genius

This hero card has unbelievable value and it's basically infinite. The RNG of which hero power you get can really be broken too if you go back and forth between the most broken value generators (delivery drone and armor ones). I think it could be reworked to still be powerful, but not as insane.

I would leave the hero power the same, except each turn it would rotate to the next power, and cycle through every single one in the same order, so that each power is seen equally.

The battlecry is what I'd change completely, since having a persistent effect the rest of the game is part of what makes this card just absolutely bonkers. Here's my idea:

Still powerful effect, but doesn't last the whole game.

430 614 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

"Basically infinite" is not unique to the Warrior class right now. If it wasn't Warrior, there would be complaints about Shaman, or Rogue, or Hunter, etc. Even Warlock can "basically go infinite" right now (Plot Twist + Elek).

The rush aura is annoying, but fine. And even then, it's really Devastator more than anything. Frankly, I think that without Mad Genius, Warrior would be bottom tier garbage. Boom is holding the whole class on his back.

225 156 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Warrior is fine rn, chill

Old God Fanatic 1745 2912 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

summoning seven 1/1 boombots would win you the game on the spot in most cases. after all, summon six boombots was the only reason bomb warrior was doable, and that required a lot of setup.

Carrion, my wayward grub.

Hungry Crab 600 139 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

When compared with the other Hero powers from before the rotation, I think it would be wrong to nerf Boom.

It just shines in the current meta because it's one of the best - yet random- hero powers and battlecries, but it's not OP.

Frost Lich Jaina was solid, reliable infinite value in comparison.

If Boom is a problem, either HoF it earlier (then the other two Heroes may become the next targets), or introduce more Heroes for other classes?

The sudden "Rise of the Mech" revolution could hint at a premature end for the EVIL member...

1095 819 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

While I don't think the card necessarily needs a nerf, I am all for making his hero power consistent. Right now warrior mirrors are heavily impacted by the amount of times they get delivery drone. Which shouldn't be the deciding factor in a mirror match. I love the idea of it having a set rotation rather than being completely random.

35 1 Posts Joined 06/05/2019

Dr. Boom is a powerful card but with the recent buff you can play hunter or rogue and counter it pretty handily with mech value or pogo rogue. Spent most of yesterday testing various rogue builds of it with carpets, daring escape, etc. and beat down every single bomb warrior/ control warrior. The deck has value that dr boom can't contest. Personally have not played much mech hunter myself but from others and watching various streams/ vods it appears to blow out warrior quite handily.

Staff Writer 2235 2220 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

Giving all mechs rush is incredibly powerful, but I wouldn't call it OP. It allows you to control the board and protect yourself, but it doesn't win you the game in itself (like if it gave charge, for example).

I don't think any change to the hero power's rotation would make a huge difference. You could anticipate when each power would come up, but so could your opponent. 

"Be excellent to each other." -Bill and Ted

35 4 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I think there's merit to keeping the hero power random, a set sequence of the hero power would allow for too much control and planning on the side of the Warrior. Losing a mirror match because of drone delivery RNG does feel awful, but knowing which hero power comes up next gives so much when it comes to preparing plays and board states. For me it's primarily drone delivery that feels too OP because of how strong class mechs are rn and I think that hero power should be limited to neutral mechs only.

95 14 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

I think someone else has said it as well. The problem isnt Dr.Boom as far as im concerned, its how good the mechs are. Devestator is just bonkers and dyno matic is sick as well. This paired with it is really good, still dont think it needs a nerf tbh

Dont ever assume my advice is good

Hungry Crab 600 139 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Agreed, the current Mech pool is pretty OP, and that can be fixed without actual Nerf by adding more "bad pulls Mechs" to the pool which could also solve issues with Omega Assembly.

This happened recently with the introduction of "pack-filler" no-texter  [Hearthstone Card (Arcane Servant) Not Found] : it serves no purpose other than being an indirect nerf/regulation to all Elemental card draws.

*Edit*: That said, after checking the Mechs lists, the latest trend with RoS wasn't really to introduce pack-fillers for Boom....all the Mechs introduced by this expansion are pretty good draws...

Pumpkin 1190 1897 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From RandomGuy

"Basically infinite" is not unique to the Warrior class right now. If it wasn't Warrior, there would be complaints about Shaman, or Rogue, or Hunter, etc. Even Warlock can "basically go infinite" right now (Plot Twist + Elek).

The rush aura is annoying, but fine. And even then, it's really Devastator more than anything. Frankly, I think that without Mad Genius, Warrior would be bottom tier garbage. Boom is holding the whole class on his back.

Except that in Warrior, it's not "basically infinite," it's literally, truly infinite, after playing one single 7-mana card. No combo needed, no real effort required.

With Hagatha, the extra value is limited by the number of minions in your deck, so it's not exactly infinite.

With Zul'jin, it's not infinite at all; it's just a recast of all previous spells. After that, it's just an upgraded Hero Power on the same level as the Justicar effect.

The other "basically infinite" effects require specific combos that are hard to get to because they are in classes that use Health as a resource (i.e., the opposite of Warrior), so surviving long enough to use them is very tricky.

Dr. Boom is definitely the problem, and if you believe he's carrying the whole class (which is probably true), that makes it even more of a problem. That means the Warrior class is actually fundamentally broken, and Team 5 will always have to give it these oppressively OP cards to keep it relevant.

The real solution here is to delete Dr. Boom and rework the Warrior class so that it can be competitive when it uses reasonable cards. By "rework the class," I mean reconfigure its Basic and Classic kits, and maybe even rethink the Hero Power.

465 713 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

As frustrating as Boom is to play against when he highrolls on his powers, discovers, etc. I think he's fine in terms of expected power level from a hero card. For every runner-runner highroll win there's also some sad warrior who kept rolling the wrong hero power at the wrong time and died miserably.

The one thing that really bugs me about Boom is the extra 2 armor he gives when you play him compared to literally every other hero card. It's a tiny nerf, but bumping him down to 5 would've given me a win in quite a few games against warrior and it'd be consistent. It'd make playing Boom into a board full of enemy minions a bit more risky, as it should be. Boom shines in slow, grindy games but it's not like there aren't other archetypes that completely blow its pants off like Pogo rogue, reanimator priest or Lucentbark druid.

Edit: that said, I can imagine Snip-Snap + rush being incredibly busted, doubly so if Snippy is in the mech pool for discovery drone and Omega assembly. But that'd be more on the new OP mech than on Dr. Boom. Same with Omegalul Devastator IMO. That card has no business being a Yeti with (several) benefits.

145 14 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

In my opinion, Dr.Boom should be changed somehow. He is one of the most powerful hero cards ever and definitely the most powerful in standard. 

• His hero power is interesting and has a good flavour, BUT it feels so bad when you lose because you didn't roll what you needed or you lose because your opponent did. (It has the same problems as the totems have, the difference is that nowadays, in most cases, you don't lose/win if you roll a certain totem, because they are pretty irrelevant, but Dr.Boom' hero powers are all strong in specific scenarios.)
    • Every hero gains 5 armor when played, but Dr.B gains 7. Okay, okay it is not a big deal, 2 armor rarely matters, but just why? He is Dr.7 and for the memes he should gain 7 armor when played and every time he rolls the armor hero power? (Just make it gain 5 in both cases, it would still be powerful.)
    • He gives rush to mechs for the rest of the game. This would not be broken if there were only mediocre or good mechs. But warrior has insane mechs!Let's only talk about Omega Devastator and overlook the rest of the bullshit mech fest with Dyn-o-matic, Eternium Rover, Zilliax and all the mech generating shenanigans. Omega Devastator deserves another nerf thread imo. Why did they print this card? What were they thinking? The Boomsday Project Omega cards are fair cards, some of them are weaker some of them are sstronger, but the point of those cards was to be kinda bad on curve, but really good after T10. But Omega Devastator is meh/okay on curve, insane after T10 and utterly disgusting with Dr.B. Removing nearly any big minion and another mid-size minion with 1 card for 4 mana? Yeah that sounds fair. But you have to reach T10 and have to play Dr.B so it needs setup, so it is okay I guess. 
      But this is about Dr.B so forget all of this and let's pretend that the rush theme fits with Dr.B and move on.
    • I mentioned the mech generating craziness in the previous point, but just assume that it is the part of the Warrior identity, don't complain about the randomness, it is fine, there are other hero cards who generate a lot of value. (I'm not saying it is good, I'm just saying that it is not a unique problem.)

They will probably not rework the card so these problems will remain, but for the love of god, just increase his cost to 9 mana! (He is Dr.7, but no one cares about that!) You would not be able to use the hero power in that turn and it would delay him a few turns.
    As someone said in this thread: 'Boom is holding the whole class on his back.' and this is not healthy. Just check the mulligan WR of the card on hsreplay. He has the mulligan WR of 1 drops. Tell me that this is normal. Maybe the 9 mana nerf would not make a difference, but at least it is something.

Dr. Boom should be changed, in his current form he is OP. Overpowered, because he does too much things too well and too early in the game.
    He is similar to DK Rexxar. He is cheap, has anti-aggro elements and generates infinite value. The only difference is that Warrior has a good control shell without Dr.Boom and he fits in perfectly into that shell.

Child of Galakrond 355 144 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 4 years, 6 months ago

cool

Jacks.Co

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

ODYN
    0 Users Here