Reworking the resurrection mechanic might be the only way to actually solve the Big Priest issue

Salty Dog 1030 685 Posts Joined 06/07/2019
    Posted 4 years, 9 months ago
    Quote From iWatchUSleep
    Quote From ElSabidon

That does pose a problem, though: the deck becomes absolute trash, because it loses too much reliability. So, with the archetype itself changed, here's what  I would do to give the deck some consistency back:

How is this a problem again? Blizzard had no problems with butchering giants warlock and combo druid. Why should big priest be an exception? Because it requires even less thought to play compared to those other two, which results to shitty players flocking to it en masse?

It is a problem because, like I said, Blizzard considers resurrection one of Priests classe identites (which means one of their strenghts). If the weakest class in standard also has a shit-tier strenght, you might as well just delete the class altogether. And, again, like I said before, this whole class identity thing is just terrible design altogether, so a shitty decision forced us to eat a shitty deck to play against for virtually the rest of Hearthstone's life.

If that decision wasn't made in the first place, they could have just nerfed the deck to oblivion and call it a day. So, my idea was to change the mechanic in a way that allowed the deck to be good without being just so unfun to play against and allowing some actual counterplay: you're discovering a minion against res Priest, so you can purposefully interact with the res pool by choosing a bad minion to play aginst them (like Bomb Squad, for example).

Rating cards on coolness factor rather than predicting power because I like screwing up rating averages (and because I suck at predicting real power levels, but we'll ignore that LUL)
    Wins per class (2/6/22): DH-197; Druid-996Hunter-91«60; Mage-1056; Paladin-1126; Priest-746; Rogue-961; Shaman-1095; Warlock-871; Warrior-906

225 57 Posts Joined 06/02/2019

Big priest isn't oppressive unless they get the turn 4 Barnes. I think nerfing Barnes to a 6-mana 5/5 would go a long way. Reducing Obsidian Statue to a 2/8 would help too.

Plus, Blizz rarely creates permanent keywords, they usually are limited to their own expansion, and Reborn is definitely not going to be expanded.

1095 819 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From ElSabidon
    It is a problem because, like I said, Blizzard considers resurrection one of Priests classe identites (which means one of their strenghts). If the weakest class in standard also has a shit-tier strenght, you might as well just delete the class altogether. And, again, like I said before, this whole class identity thing is just terrible design altogether, so a shitty decision forced us to eat a shitty deck to play against for virtually the rest of Hearthstone's life.

If that decision wasn't made in the first place, they could have just nerfed the deck to oblivion and call it a day. So, my idea was to change the mechanic in a way that allowed the deck to be good without being just so unfun to play against and allowing some actual counterplay: you're discovering a minion against res Priest, so you can purposefully interact with the res pool by choosing a bad minion to play aginst them (like Bomb Squad, for example).

Where did they state that resurrection is a part of their mechanic? 
    In the blue post from a few weeks ago I see the following: 

"Priest: Priests balance holy light and shadow magic to defeat their opponents. They control a battle’s outcome using powerful spells with situational applications. While not the most aggressive, they are able to generate, copy, and use combinations of cards to create a powerful army.

• Strengths: Healing, narrow but powerful spells, copying, single-minion buffs, Deathrattle
    • Limitations: Card draw
    • Weaknesses: Face damage spells, multi-minion buffs"

Just because they printed a few resurrect mechanics across a few expansions doesn't imply that it is a core part of that class (remember freeze shaman? Discard warlock?).

Quote From iWatchUSleep
    While not the most aggressive, they are able to generate, copy, and use combinations of cards to create a powerful army.

They say it here. While Blizzard doesn't specify resurrecting as a unique strenght, it doesn't change the fact that generating minions is a core part of their gameplay.

Rating cards on coolness factor rather than predicting power because I like screwing up rating averages (and because I suck at predicting real power levels, but we'll ignore that LUL)
    Wins per class (2/6/22): DH-197; Druid-996Hunter-91«60; Mage-1056; Paladin-1126; Priest-746; Rogue-961; Shaman-1095; Warlock-871; Warrior-906

200 132 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I completely agree with your point n.4 - the ressurection should throw back the card on board, instead of summoning a copy of it. 

But them again, as stated above, the devs love BP and won't change nothing in this broken mechanic...

1095 819 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From ElSabidon

They say it here. While Blizzard doesn't specify resurrecting as a unique strenght, it doesn't change the fact that generating minions is a core part of their gameplay.

Which means they could easily shift away from an unfun, half-assed mechanic, which resurrect is, and actually add proper minion generation mechanics.

Class identity is kept and wild doesn't have to suffer anymore.

210 128 Posts Joined 05/31/2019

when i play against big priest it´s maily a barnes highroll if i loose ... shure the resurects and vargoth are extreme but without barnes the winrate against aggro/tempo will drop significant.

Quote From iWatchUSleep
    Quote From ElSabidon

Which means they could easily shift away from an unfun, half-assed mechanic, which resurrect is, and actually add proper minion generation mechanics.

Class identity is kept and wild doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Hence the changes I proposed. At least, I think they make the match-up more fun. We were so focused debating whether or not resurrecting was part of Priests mechanics and ended up not talking about the actual topic of the thread.

360 383 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah the resurrection abuse has shown that most of the lower cost spells are way overtuned. I'd agree on a graveyard overhaul I'm on the fence if such an overhaul would actually fit HS. Introducing graveyard mechanics feels much more like a Yu-Gi-Oh or MtG mechanic where cards have upwards of a paragraph of text on them (again mind you I'm not really opposed to the idea since I played games like those, it just doesn't currently feel like a HS thing).

My current hope is that Control Shaman will be able to absolutely squash Big Priest due to Plague of Murlocs removing entire minions from their rez pool before they die and also spamming it with murloc garbage. Plus they have Hex and Devolve if they want. If players are smart they'll use shaman to push a good portion of priests out of ladder.

Child of Galakrond 355 144 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 4 years, 7 months ago

cool

Jacks.Co

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

ODYN
    0 Users Here