New Hunter Minion - Dragonbane

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A new Legendary Hunter Minion, Dragonbane, has been revealed!

Dragonbane Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Swamp 455 894 Posts Joined 03/27/2019
  • SLima's Avatar 150 90 Posts Joined 08/17/2019

It's really good on an empty board but that seems a little unlikely to happen in most situations. The mech tag is a nice bonus though!

• JoeyJojo48's Avatar 180 33 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

Oh hey it's Inspire. I really wish they'd keep using the keywords they've created (e.g. "Inspire" vs. "After you use your hero power...; "Echo" vs. "Repeatable this turn."; "Recruit" vs. "Summon from your deck."; etc.). Otherwise, why bother making the keyword in the first place?

• Vandaren's Avatar 135 133 Posts Joined 06/05/2019
    Quote From JoeyJojo48

Oh hey it's Inspire. I really wish they'd keep using the keywords they've created (e.g. "Inspire" vs. "After you use your hero power...; "Echo" vs. "Repeatable this turn."; "Recruit" vs. "Summon from your deck."; etc.). Otherwise, why bother making the keyword in the first place?

Didn't they explain it to make the game more accessible to general casual players? So they don't have to remember many keywords and gave up in the process

• JoeyJojo48's Avatar 180 33 Posts Joined 06/11/2019
    Quote From Vandaren
    Quote From JoeyJojo48

Didn't they explain it to make the game more accessible to general casual players? So they don't have to remember many keywords and gave up in the process

They did, but I don't really agree with that justification. Here's why:

1) For a brand new player, the mode they are heavily encouraged to play first is standard. In standard, the maximum amount of sets you'll be exposed to is 8 (basic, classic, and 6 expansions). Putting aside the basic and classic keywords (since those have to be learned regardless), most expansions have 1-2 keywords. Meaning you have 6-12 extra keywords to learn. Since they tend not to print a ton of cards with old mechanics that lack their keyword (such as Inspire and Dragonbane) you're looking at only a handful of "old" keywords to relearn to play standard (maybe on average 1 per set, so ~6 keywords). Is going from 6-12 keywords to AT MOST 12-18 keywords really too much complexity for a new player that it justifies losing consistency?

2) If you're playing wild, arena, dungeon run, or tavern brawl (and also now likely battleground), you have to learn all the keywords anyways. In those environments, random card outliers that don't have the keywords hurt text consistency at literally no benefit.

3) If I'm a casual player who played the game, left the game for a while, and now decided to return, reusing the keywords is actual a benefit to me. It could give me a bit of familiarity with the new cards because I already know those mechanics from when I used to play (e.g. "Oh hey, that new card has inspire. I remember inspire from when I used to play this game, so I know what that does.").

• Avalon's Avatar 380 468 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Quote From Vandaren
    Quote From JoeyJojo48

Well Inspire and Echo (especially this one) are kinda obvious and easy to understand in my opinion. Recruit may be confused with "summon from hand" instead of "summon from deck", but the other two should be reused (see SN1P-SN4P for example)

• Almaniarra's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 410 698 Posts Joined 03/21/2019
    Posted 1 month, 1 week ago
    Quote From Avalon
    Quote From Vandaren
    Quote From JoeyJojo48

Well Inspire and Echo (especially this one) are kinda obvious and easy to understand in my opinion. Recruit may be confused with "summon from hand" instead of "summon from deck", but the other two should be reused (see SN1P-SN4P for example)

Yeah, they can't decide to use echo for Sn1p-Sn4p anyways because there was no room to explain echo for that card. They can "always" break their own rules. That was easier to use keywords for every expansions tho. It is just stupid.

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 350 327 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

That looks like a decent legendary! Good card

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• Horus's Avatar E.V.I.L. Dragon 655 825 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

They must have watch Game of Thrones ..!

“One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.”

• SMOrcolaio's Avatar 65 7 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

FACE IS THE PLACE

SMOrc

• ArcticFox's Avatar 225 88 Posts Joined 05/30/2019

Seems pretty good.

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 380 273 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

I like the mech tag. Probably too slow for wild, but it could help giving standard mech hunter another shot.

Double the pride, double the fall.

• RandomGuy's Avatar 305 474 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of the better cards from the set. Stats are just about vanilla. Effect is useful against a board or just to go face.

• RenanFolk's Avatar 145 142 Posts Joined 07/30/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

read: your hero power do 7 damage to the enemy hero

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Jaina 355 341 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

Super strong in Wild Even Hunter (obviously) but seems very playable in Standard considering how many supporting cards they're printing for "Inspire Hunter" in DoD (plus Blackwald Pixie is still around for another 4 months)

• johnyDI's Avatar Island 165 147 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Almost called this card meh, until I got to mech tag. With mana discounts and magnetise as part of the mech package, the hability to do extra 5 damage seems incredible. Ziliax will love this one, as it can lead to 5 heal plus the 3+3 out of their attack.

It will see play in highlander and mech decks, for sure.

• ArcanisDF's Avatar Bronze Supporter 285 179 Posts Joined 08/01/2019

face is the place... 7 dmg hero power. But in fact i don't like this kind of card. i'm a main hunter player and i prefer every non-aggro deck

• Joda's Avatar Magma Rager 240 143 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Why not Inspire? :( but the card is really cool

Never netdeck, craft Whizbang instead!

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 260 323 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

As I noted in our initial card review, it's going straight into my Wild Even Hunter :D Throw in Garrison Commander and Steamwheedle Sniper, plus some Frost Giants for the extra meme factor. Expensive combination, considering they're all Epics, but I own them so whatever.

If you have the time please check out my custom expansion, The Trials Within Us!

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 695 1077 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

This is a cool card for even hunter in wild. It makes for a nice turn 5 play and it can possibly protect itself with it's ability. You can play this on turn 4 with the right board state and it will probably survive, I haven't checked yet but there aren't too many spells you can cast on 4 that would kill this guy (The new warrior breath comes to mind).

He is also a mech, so I suspect we will see this guy being used as a 'big' drop in some mech hunters. The 5 damage is random, but it can be manipulated by trading ahead of time, and at the end of the day, 5 damage is 5 damage. That is solid value no matter what it hits.

• Nere's Avatar 90 67 Posts Joined 07/28/2019

Smorc here we go! I´m already afraid of this card in Wild Even Hunter!

• Valord's Avatar 150 145 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Not sure how to rate it, but seems decent so far.

• Almaniarra's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 410 698 Posts Joined 03/21/2019

Even Hero Power Hunter won't work, This can be still used in a mech Hunter list.

Also even you don't put it, We probably will see and hate this occuring from random effects.

It will be playable at least until Boomsday goes wild for sure.

• Input's Avatar 160 163 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

It enrages me that we dont' have inspiring keyword for this kind of effect. Oh well.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.