New Mage Minion - Azure Explorer

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A new Common Mage Minion, Azure Explorer, has been revealed!

Azure Explorer Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• Avalon's Avatar 380 468 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Not really sold on the stats: Cosmic Anomaly but dragon, with a weaker body and a discover effect attached to it

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 455 637 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Seems powerful to me, if you are looking to control the board and get mroe value this card is really good, dragon mage has been a thing as well in early RoS so it might be back, mage has some cheap spells to control the board.

• scuac's Avatar 215 63 Posts Joined 07/31/2019

Underwhelming when you look it side by side with the hunter Primordial Explorer. Costs one more to trade poisonous for +2 spell damage? Feels like mage got shafted.

A puzzle box? What does it say? ... Yogi-Saffron something... sure, let's open it, what is the worst that could happen?

• craigrs84's Avatar 65 14 Posts Joined 07/14/2019

Geesh the stats are terrible.

• AliRadicali's Avatar 400 632 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

If you break it down you're paying 2 mana for +2 spell damage and discover a dragon. That's not a bad deal on paper, it's just a bit of an unfortunate combination of benefits that don't really add up. If you compare it to Azure Drake, the card this is clearly a nod to, the Drake is a better proactive threat because it'll probably kill whatever runs into it. Azure Explorer, on the other hand, might represent a greater threat if left unchecked, but is a lot easier for any 3-drop to value trade into. Meanwhile, at 4 mana the card is just too expensive to feasibly combine with cheaper AoE.

As for Arena, I could see the card work if you can snatch up shooting star and arcane explosions. Otherwise, again, the bad stats completely negate the +2 spell damage and it becomes a huge tempo loss.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Swamp 455 894 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

Cosmic Anomaly

You are trading 2 Attack for a Dragon discovery.

The Dragon is better, Value-wise, even moreso in a Dragon list. Anomaly has better Tempo.

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 350 327 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Seems pretty good - and i love the art!

So looking forward to play Dragon Mage :) 

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• Zwane's Avatar Wizard 245 339 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

If you combine it with, say, a Shooting Star, you get some board control, a minion and a discover for 5 mana. Only thing I do not understand is how getting your spell books eaten improves their power, although maybe that is the dragon way to do it :)

• RandomGuy's Avatar 305 474 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

That body is so terrible that I'm suspect. That said, evolved kobold was much worse and saw fringe competitive play in Freeze Mage. So there may be a place for this little guy.

• ArcanisDF's Avatar Bronze Supporter 285 179 Posts Joined 08/01/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

horrible stats, but you can get all those legendary dragons you don't have enough dust to make...

• Joda's Avatar Magma Rager 240 143 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Well, i guess you wont play this for the battlecry but for the spell damage

Never netdeck, craft Whizbang instead!

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Jaina 355 341 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

This will probably find some space in Cyclone Mage where you're churning tons of cheap, low dmg spells. Beyond that though I can't see this being overly impactful.

• johnyDI's Avatar Island 165 147 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Out of all the dragon explorers so far showed, this is the only one I believe it will see play in high tier decks. This is essentially an azure drake for control decks. even in midrange decks this can be good, due to the high quality of mage dragons (Yes, I know class cards no longer have higher priority in discover, but mage cards still only appear in mage discovers).

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 260 323 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Not a fan, mostly because of its crappy statline. Still, Spell Damage +2 is valued by some decks, and discovering a Dragon is perfectly reasonable in most situations.

If you have the time please check out my custom expansion, The Trials Within Us!

• Alfi's Avatar E.V.I.L. Dragon 315 201 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Like Azure drake - dragon synergies, get a card, spell damage. The body is weak but otherwise OK

-=alfi=-

• Nere's Avatar 90 67 Posts Joined 07/28/2019

Could be a nice card, nothing that would make a great impact on the game. However, discovering more Malygoses could be great. Definitely a contender for the cutest card of the expansion, I love it!

• Valord's Avatar 150 145 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

This almost has the power level of Azure Drake and I like it.

• Input's Avatar 160 163 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

This has potential, but I'm not sold (11/21/2019) on there being enough to make it into any decks. If class bias was still in effect on discover though, I could see this being the new frightened flunky.

• Hedwyn's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 290 160 Posts Joined 07/05/2019

Im not so sure about this card .. so you get some value, but the spell damage is for a more "agressive" type of deck .. so why do you need value?

I'm sorry for my bad english :)

• Almaniarra's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 410 698 Posts Joined 03/21/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Even body is a bit weak, expansion itself makes this card better. Also it can discover itself so there is an infinite dragonling lies here. :)

• DelkoHS's Avatar Child of Galakrond 280 284 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Spell Damage Mage isn't really a great archetype, and I doubt this card will fix that. It's just so weakly stat'ed. The effect is strong though, but I still doubt it if this will see play.

• frosthearth's Avatar 300 264 Posts Joined 03/18/2019

It can be an okay turn 5 with a card like shooting star, but why would you run shooting star in the first place? I don't think this is a good card, but it will probably be a commonly played card for the dragon synergies.

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 695 1077 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I think most of the explorer's (Emerald, Primordial, And the unknown paladin on) will be played because they are dragons. But this card is different in that it will only be worth it if you are also able to combo it off with another spell on the turn it is played. Taunt, or Poisonous are different because they don't require as much setup. I think so far this is the worst explorer because dragon decks generally don't care about small, damaging spells. Maybe this card has some potential with Malygos's Frostbolt, or Malygos's Missiles. But other than that I don't see it happening.

• thisismyfreebie's Avatar 70 27 Posts Joined 11/06/2019

I love this card. So cute. And I think it will be good in Highlander Mage.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.