New Paladin Spell - Sand Breath

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A new Common Paladin Spell, Sand Breath, has been revealed!

Sand Breath Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• Avalon's Avatar 380 468 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 1 month, 1 week ago

More Dragon synergy Pog

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 455 638 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Divine Strength + divine shield? sounds great... finally a decent dragon synergy card for paladin..

• CyberBandit's Avatar 70 20 Posts Joined 07/10/2019

Why can't they just stay consistent with the way they write the text.

Why switch "if you're holding a Dragon" to AFTER the effect now?

Love your work, Blizzard... 🙄

• Almaniarra's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 410 698 Posts Joined 03/21/2019
    Quote From CyberBandit

It just works how the text describes. If you are not holding a dragon it just gives +1/+2 to a minion. If there is a dragon in your hand it also gives divine shield.

Sorry but there is no inconsistency here.

• RandomGuy's Avatar 305 474 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Even though it's solid, I'm just not sure how useful this effect really is.

Hand of Protection has never been good. And Divine Strength has never been good.

In a 30 card deck, I'm not sure this makes the cut. It would have to be a really zoo-y dragon paladin...and even then, I'm suspicious.

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 695 1077 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From CyberBandit

It just works how the text describes. If you are not holding a dragon it just gives +1/+2 to a minion. If there is a dragon in your hand it also gives divine shield.

The card will always give a minion +1/+2 whether or not you are holding a dragon. But it will only give divine shield if you are holding a dragon, so I should think it would read "Give a minion +1/+2. If you are holding a dragon, give it Divine Shield" but instead it says "Give a minion +1/+2. Give it divine shield if you are holding a dragon".

If this card was consistent with other dragon cards it would say 'if you're holding a dragon' before the ability that wants you to be holding a dragon, but this card says 'if you're holding a dragon' after the ability. 

I am not 100% sure if this is accurate, this is just how I think it should work.

Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From CyberBandit

The card will always give a minion +1/+2 whether or not you are holding a dragon. But it will only give divine shield if you are holding a dragon, so I should think it would read "Give a minion +1/+2. If you are holding a dragon, give it Divine Shield" but instead it says "Give a minion +1/+2. Give it divine shield if you are holding a dragon".

If this card was consistent with other dragon cards it would say 'if you're holding a dragon' before the ability that wants you to be holding a dragon, but this card says 'if you're holding a dragon' after the ability. 

I am not 100% sure if this is accurate, this is just how I think it should work.

we'd said same things already. If you look awarely, there is a dot after +1/+2. It basically has 2 effects in 1 spell and "If you're holding a dragon" part is still before the effect which is about holding dragon, that's the divine shield part.

They taught us "if" sentences as they are same when you say "if I can come home earlier, we might go to the cinema" or "We might go to the cinema if I can come home earlier." So I get it like there is no inconsistency here.

Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From CyberBandit

we'd said same things already. If you look awarely, there is a dot after +1/+2. It basically has 2 effects in 1 spell and "If you're holding a dragon" part is still before the effect which is about holding dragon, that's the divine shield part.

They taught us "if" sentences as they are same when you say "if I can come home earlier, we might go to the cinema" or "We might go to the cinema if I can come home earlier." So I get it like there is no inconsistency here.

look at cards like Breath of Dreams, Corrosive Breath, Lightning Breath, and Molten Breath. All of them say "do effect X. If your holding a dragon, do effect Y". Sand Breath is the only dragon card in existence that says "if your holding a dragon" at the end of the card.

You are right in that it is grammatically correct, but it is not consistent with other Hearthstone cards. 

Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From CyberBandit

look at cards like Breath of Dreams, Corrosive Breath, Lightning Breath, and Molten Breath. All of them say "do effect X. If your holding a dragon, do effect Y". Sand Breath is the only dragon card in existence that says "if your holding a dragon" at the end of the card.

You are right in that it is grammatically correct, but it is not consistent with other Hearthstone cards. 

Still there is not any inconsistency. "if you're holding a dragon, Give it Divine Shield." and "Give it Divine Shield if you are holding a dragon." are same sentences. There is not any ambiguity.

Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS

Still there is not any inconsistency. "if you're holding a dragon, Give it Divine Shield." and "Give it Divine Shield if you are holding a dragon." are same sentences. There is not any ambiguity.

They are both the same sentence, and they both mean the same thing, but the way the sentence is formatted is different than on the other cards, and is therefore, an inconsistency.

Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS

They are both the same sentence, and they both mean the same thing, but the way the sentence is formatted is different than on the other cards, and is therefore, an inconsistency.

What you are doing here is finding fault with anything blizzard do. It is just funny how you defend yourself with a meaningless sentence differencies between cards. It is not like the difference between "Adapt 2 times" "adapt, then adapt" or " adapt twice". It is just same sentences in different order, doesn't even mislead people.

Why are we arguing this? it is just silly.

Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From Almaniarra
    Quote From KANSAS

What you are doing here is finding fault with anything blizzard do. It is just funny how you defend yourself with a meaningless sentence differencies between cards. It is not like the difference between "Adapt 2 times" "adapt, then adapt" or " adapt twice". It is just same sentences in different order, doesn't even mislead people.

Why are we arguing this? it is just silly.

I am not trying to hate on blizzard simply for the sake of hating on blizzard. 

That one guy mentioned that this card was inconsistent with other dragon cards, and I was just trying to explain why. 

You are right though that this argument is a little silly. So lets just agree to disagree and end it here.

• Zwane's Avatar Wizard 245 339 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

I think they wrote it like this so the line breaking was better this way.  The sentence "If you're holding a Dragon"  is so long it would probably end up like 

Give a minion +1/+2 

If You're holding a dragon give

it Divine Shield

Which would be ugly. I strongly suspect something like this was the reason to use this wording in this case, and they did not want to have two half sentences on one line.

• ArcanisDF's Avatar Bronze Supporter 285 179 Posts Joined 08/01/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

with more dragon sinergy this could be a 3 stars card

• Joda's Avatar Magma Rager 240 143 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Arena card i guess?

Never netdeck, craft Whizbang instead!

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Swamp 455 894 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

This card could only be strong in some Dragon Divine Shield Paladin.

But in a generic Dragonadin, i can only see it as a deck filler, not really relevant.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Jaina 355 341 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

I managed to put together a pretty decent Dragon Paladin deck during RoS and this will slot into very nicely. I think as a class, Paladin is probably the one that has the best "starting position" to build a good Standard Dragon deck relative to the other classes thanks to Dragon Speaker and Bronze Herald - both of which will be in Standard after rotation unlike the Dragon cards for say Hunter (from Witchwood) and Warrior (from Rumble) that will rotate.

• johnyDI's Avatar Island 165 147 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Such effect for so just 1 mana is insane if used in an aggro deck trying to win by turn 6-7. But those decks don't usually play dragons. Dragons are more midrange/control minions, and in those decks this effect is at the very much "meh".

If we get an aggressive dragon this will be good when you want to dump minions and stats as early as possible.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 260 323 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Seems fine, but Divine Strength and Hand of Protection aren't exactly good cards. Does combining them and including a Dragon requirement end that problem? Hard to say.

If you have the time please check out my custom expansion, The Trials Within Us!

• Nere's Avatar 90 67 Posts Joined 07/28/2019

It´s not that I hate it or anything, but it seems very boring and I don´t think it´s gonna make the cut. 1/2 divine shield buff isn´t even that great or is it? And you even need to hold a dragon

• Valord's Avatar 150 145 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

A nice little tempo card for Dragon Paly, seems solid to me.

• Input's Avatar 160 163 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

The mana reduction from "if you're holding a dragon" is fairly inconsistent. Or am I miscalculating how much mana divine shield is worth?

• Hedwyn's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 290 160 Posts Joined 07/05/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Seems pretty weak IMO, not because the effect is terrible, but I don't think there's room for this in any deck, even in dragon ones.

I'm sorry for my bad english :)

• DelkoHS's Avatar Child of Galakrond 280 284 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Hard to rate this card. It's nothing special, but for its cost it does a lot. This expansion does seem to powercreep a lot. This might see play in some Midrange Dragon Paladin decks, but even then it's not a staple probably.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.