New Neutral Minion - Chromatic Egg

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 week, 5 days ago

A new Epic Neutral Minion, Chromatic Egg, has been revealed!

Chromatic Egg Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• MurlocBard's Avatar 10 1 Posts Joined 11/25/2019

1 star

• bro's Avatar 80 42 Posts Joined 10/20/2019

disappointing honestly, i dont think this would ever be good, unless undatakah also hatches the dragon?

• CursedParrot's Avatar 125 59 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Even with some of the best possible outcomes it seems far worse than other cards like Mechano Egg or Devilsaur Egg. In order for it to be on the same powerlevel as the Devilsaur egg it would need to summon an average of a 7/7, which is obviously not going to be the average, given the high number of lower-cost dragons

• AliRadicali's Avatar 400 623 Posts Joined 06/06/2019

I wonder what happens if you trigger the deathrattle with something like Necrium blade. I assume it just summons the dragon you picked and the egg sticks around, but like so many cards in this set, you just can't tell by the wording.

Edit: it also might be helpful to note that the average stats for a random dragon is 13.75, so that means that for all three of your discover options, the average  roll is a 7/7. The odds of not hitting an 8/8 or a 4/12 are remarkably low, unless a bunch of tiny dragons get revealed in the upcoming days.

Still a weak card tho.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 255 316 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Discover helps a lot, but there are still only so many Dragons worth the effort. The best Dragons generally have Battlecries, and this won't trigger them. Lastly, a compartmentalized effect means cards like Carnivorous Cube, N'Zoth, the Corruptor, and Da Undatakah cannot synergize with this "egg".

A lot of words to say this card is not great.

• Painkiller1724's Avatar 140 101 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Terrible

• TheOdinson's Avatar 135 144 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

One of the first truly awful looking cards. Like  many eggs, this will have its moments to shine, but this is still a pretty tough sell. Discover is much worse than it used to be, and they haven't revealed any new ways to activate this. I mean it could be fine in Quest Paladin, but IDK why you'd pick randomness over the consistency of Mechano-Egg, though after Boomsday rotates out it could help fill that deck with a good egg. Otherwise I don't see it being good enough to see play.

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.

• Farfelee's Avatar Dragon 265 184 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

I don't see the fact that the deathrattle being a secret really matters. Your opponent should always consider it being the worst outcome possible. I do see it working in a deathrattle rogue deck while using Necrium Blade.

Dragons usually have large stats with dragons like Deathwing, Ysera, Malygos, Alexstrasza, Nozdormu, Onyxia, Waxadred, Evasive Drakonid and Twin Tyrant (while considering you are going for a Rogue deck).

You might get a few bad options such as Twilight Drake, Brightwing, Marsh Drake, Faerie Dragon and Dragonmaw Scorcher, but since you are using discover you should be able to get a good Dragon most of the time.

Either way, I learned to never underestimate egg cards and I do see this having some potential especially if it has the chance of getting a 12/12 as a deathrattle on turn 5.

More dragons? Yes please!

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Honorary Explorer 355 411 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

It might be fun to toy around with in a Deathrattle Hunter/Rogue, and it might even occasionally catch the opponent off-guard, but I don't anticipate it doing much better than Mechano-Egg, where Mech synergy was quite prevalent.

No, that's wrong!

• Horus's Avatar Stalagg 610 798 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Is it just me or this looks like a submission on the Community Creation thread that did not made the cut?

'' When I was your age, Pluto was a planet. '' -Unknown

• Koetti's Avatar Island 340 231 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

At best it's gonna make it in some Meme-Egg-Deck.

And even then I doubt it'll be good.

Long, drawn-out Control Match-ups with Boardclears en masse and an unbelievable amount of greedy cards?

Sign me up!

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 670 1019 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Small note, the wording is kinda weird, the discover effect is not worded consistently with Fatespinners choose one effect. A more clear way of phrasing this would be "Battlecry: Discover a dragon (secretly), Deathrattle: summon it". Maybe this also isn't correct because then it would imply that the dragon you discovered will go into your hand. my point is, this could be worded a lot cleaner.

About the actual card itself, this is bad. The entire point of eggs is that you can get large bodies out early, or in the case with mechano-egg, you buff it and then just have a sticky minion. but mechano egg isn't a very good card either. At five mana, you want to be doing a lot more then just setting up to summon a (semi)-random dragon on a later turn. This is too slow, and there is very little pay-off. 

• meisterz39's Avatar Anduin 275 202 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

The price is steep, but the ability to cheat out a big dragon like Ysera could make this a viable card in a Deathrattle deck.

• HighVoltagez's Avatar 115 43 Posts Joined 07/23/2019

Love the flavour and looks like it might be best in rogue

would be interesting to see the odds of getting a good dragon via the discover mechanic. Might give it a go. “Ok” stats would have to be 8/8 to be equivalent to the same mana cost Pally Egg. 

wont be able to make a judgement on how good it could be until we see all dragons in this set

• MenacingBagel's Avatar Bulbasaur 155 162 Posts Joined 09/24/2019

Makes for good mind games I guess but otherwise very lacking highish cost random effect I guess something had to balance out all the power creep we've been getting

Only a fool thinks they know everything. I admit that I know nothing

• Hedwyn's Avatar Gul'dan 290 159 Posts Joined 07/05/2019

Discover a deathwing and use that rogue card that trigger twice .. GG

I'm sorry for my bad english :)

• Valord's Avatar 145 145 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

This with Topsy Turvy, EZ 5 mana 12/12.

• Sol's Avatar 110 68 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Kinda bad, especially with most good dragons being battlecry minions. However, the big stats with most dragons also makes this card a little better.

Well it's over

• og0's Avatar HearthStationeer 440 427 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Like the design, hate the mana cost and stats.  

There are only 10d types of people who understand binary, I know what 10b of them are but not the other 1000b.

• JackJimson's Avatar Uther 95 32 Posts Joined 11/19/2019

Pretty bad as others have said.

Pretty slow at 5 mana. Deathrattle only worth it if you can discover and cheat out a 5+ mana dragon.

Also at the mercy of RNG if you can discover a decent dragon (good stats dragon, preferably with no battlecry)

• epikpie's Avatar 95 7 Posts Joined 07/01/2019

love the effect and the card might make it in decks like quest paladin but i don't see this card being a huge player in the meta

• Aoyi's Avatar 60 13 Posts Joined 06/05/2019

The pool of dragons has gotten so large now that I don't know that you'll consistently have a good option on discover. However, there will be those moments where you get a Deathwing or Ysera.

• BlueBunny's Avatar 55 9 Posts Joined 10/28/2019

But probably dragons will now be not just stats, and your opponent cant know what will hatch

• Joda's Avatar Magma Rager 240 143 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Cool theme, bad card. You can discover a small dragon for 5, and has to kill the egg even to summon it...

Never netdeck, craft Whizbang instead!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.