New Priest Minion - Mindflayer Kaahrj

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 6 days, 21 hours ago

A new Legendary Priest Minion, Mindflayer Kaahrj, has been revealed!

Mindflayer Kaahrj Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• ProfPlum's Avatar 100 26 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Not sure if it will see wide play, but will definitely come in if some of these Big dragon decks start popping up.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 255 316 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

Good for sniping some of the Dragons that are going to be around, but you still have to kill them (and this).

The card is okay.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Swamp 455 881 Posts Joined 03/27/2019
  • Koetti's Avatar Island 340 231 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Why play this when you can play Faceless Manipulator?

Unless Priest gets some Deathrattle-Synergy, i don't think we're gonna see much of this guy.

Long, drawn-out Control Match-ups with Boardclears en masse and an unbelievable amount of greedy cards?

Sign me up!

• IlBelTia's Avatar Wizard 180 196 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

What exactly does the "new" means? The wording would have worked even without it...

Also: why the available targets are only enemy minions? Pretty disappointing.

• vprr's Avatar Uther 290 207 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Difficult to fully judge the card, very interesting design.

I guess 'new copy' would be without buffs, so the bigger the minion originally the better obviously. Target the enemy Mountain Giant then death and you have a pretty annoying sticky threat on board. Even against aggro it isn't completely awful to just target a 1 or 2 cost minion for some early board pressure. 

I think because its a cheap card with decent baseline stats this card will see some play. The huge potential of this guy in the late game vs bigger minions is pretty huge and it should also do well against fast decks.

• Drageren's Avatar 220 122 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I don t know, another very complicatted priest card and only enemy minion restriction makes it meh. Also, okeish card with Galakrond Invoke hero power minion. But playing it itself, idon t know, more bad than good.

• dembro's Avatar Uther 110 88 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Think there'll be any decks that buff the crap out of their minions? If so, this could be pretty good. I'll be honest, I'm not even sure summoning a copy would keep its buffs - my instinct says "No", and if so, then it'd only be worth copying minions with strong Deathrattles or persistent effects, or ones with huge base stats. So... probably an average card, another tool in Priest's back pocket.

• SaltyMcNulty's Avatar 100 11 Posts Joined 08/28/2019

Can’t help but feeling a little disappointed... a cheaper, less effective Sylvanas Windrunner

• Mercynary9's Avatar Gold Supporter 205 169 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

3/3 minion + deathrattle: summon a 3/4 minion or any larger.

How is this bad? It can fit well too as a tempo in the lategame because its very cheap to summon a copy of a big useful minion.

I dont even see this card as meme, its going to be seen everywhere... unless I dont know what exact the priest playstyle should be, then maybe I shouldnt be the one to judge it.

But still good though.

• Meteorite12's Avatar Magma Rager 300 247 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

With so many dragons there’s probably gonna be more big targets for the card, so not too bad

Who needs consistency when you could have fun?

• DelkoHS's Avatar Bulbasaur 260 263 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

A delayed Faceless Manipulator? And only for enemy minions. Idk how good this card will be in the meta, but at first glance I'm not impressed.

• frosthearth's Avatar 275 257 Posts Joined 03/18/2019

Cool design, might enable some interesting plays and combos but I can't see a good enough reason to play this instead of anything else or build a deck around this. Maybe the meta will have a few staples that this will be very good against, or something. Really hard to judge this card currently, but I like the design so I hope this will find a home.

• Me0203's Avatar 100 42 Posts Joined 06/13/2019

There's little point to using this vanilla-ly. You can't rely on your opponent to play good minions, and if they have, you probably want to remove them instead. (unless you just want to enjoy some shenanigans)

That said, perhaps this could be fun with the deathrattle synergies in Priest. It's cheap, so it's easy to layer effects on it and build a board. If I pull it, I won't be happy, but I won't be miffed, either. 

The worst possible feeling is when the person you are meets the person you could have been.

• frosthearth's Avatar 275 257 Posts Joined 03/18/2019
    Quote From IlBelTia

What exactly does the "new" means? The wording would have worked even without it...

Also: why the available targets are only enemy minions? Pretty disappointing.

Presumably because the copies won't be actual copies, but just the same minion with its base stats

• meisterz39's Avatar Anduin 275 202 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

Mindflayer Kaahrj seems fine. If we assume you already have to pay whatever the cost is to kill your opponent's best minion, for 3 mana more you get a nearly vanilla minion and a free copy of that best minion. Obviously you'll lose out on battlecries, and you'll have to wait a bit for that copy, but there's enough value there to make Mindflayer Kaahrj a strong, albeit very slow, card. It's slow enough that I doubt most people will run it in their decks, but I can imagine being very excited to roll this minion from your hero power in a Galakrond Priest deck.

• Hellmorgar's Avatar 150 19 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

Only use of this is sticky 3-mana tempo minion. Definitely not something priest would need.

• Freforos's Avatar 135 147 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

I don't see the point of this card, slow and unreliable for a payoff that maybe isn't even worth it. 

Just cross your fingers to not open it in packs

EDIT: actually, after i read some comments, the card has some merit, versus faster decks you play it has soon as is your turn 3 and you have a 3/3 for 3 mana that summons your opponent best minion which isn't super bad and maybe will help you stabilize the board from there. If you draw it later isn't a dead draw and versus control it can be used when you think that one of your opponent minion is worth it. So the card isn't "dead" in any point of the game, still I'm not sure if is enough to be included in decks (I think is not) or if we will see it only when random generated. 

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Jaina 350 326 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

I'm not sure this will see play as it doesn't really fit into any serious archetype. NO chance it will be run in Res Priest since it'd be a terrible minion to res. Doesn't really fit with Dragon Priest either. Maybe Galakrond Priest if that ends up very Control-focused? But that's a strech. My guess would be this sees play in Wild (where Quest/Deathrattle Priest is still more viable) and I'm sure some memey Thief Priest decks will add it if they open it, but I doubt this is a Craft for anybody.

• Nona's Avatar 115 72 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I always enjoy using my opponent's deck against them, this is just another Tool in the Toolbox.

• ripcord's Avatar 70 13 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Most likely won't find place in constructed decks, but it's good arena card. It's like a Corpse Raiser only for enemy minions and for 3 not 5 mana.

• Farfelee's Avatar Dragon 265 184 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

The fact that you can only copy an enemy minion doesn't make this as viable as I would want it to be. Using Mindflayer Kaahrj on a big minion and then removing it with a cheap spell like Shadow Word: Death is good but if your opoonent moslty runs cheap aggressive minions, poorly stated battlecry minions or buffed minions this will just be too weak. It's the reason why you moslty see Faceless Manipulator in combo decks, you usually didn't put Faceless Manipulator in your deck for the potential of copying a strong enemy minion but instead so that you can copy one of your minions and Mindflayer Kaahrj can't do that. There are deathrattle synergizes that you could consider, but again, you have to rely on you oponnents minions.

More dragons? Yes please!

• Mercynary9's Avatar Gold Supporter 205 169 Posts Joined 03/31/2019
    Quote From Hellmorgar

Only use of this is sticky 3-mana tempo minion. Definitely not something priest would need.

I guess thats why many are hating on this card, I understand now. But if tempo priest exists at anytime (standard or wild), could be insane.

• padoru's Avatar 130 144 Posts Joined 12/02/2019

i guess bc it doesn't copy buffs and stuff like that. it's a little bit inconsistent compared to cards like cube in the past

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.