New Shaman Minion - Squallhunter

• Arthas's Avatar 195 496 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A new Common Shaman Minion, Squallhunter, has been revealed!

Squallhunter Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• Mercynary9's Avatar 225 182 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Huge dragon with acceptable attack on turn 4..  with spell damage +2... with +2!!!

This is too much for my favorite class, so many good class cards too, please stop it.

It's a great card, will make shaman have more fun with spells now.

• MenacingBagel's Avatar Dragon Scholar 180 174 Posts Joined 09/24/2019

So its a 4 mana minions with overload 2 that has 5 atk but +2 spell damage and 7 health this seems way more abusive than flameface since you can use lighting bolt to do 5 dmg. Nice solid powercreepy card

Only a fool thinks they know everything. I admit that I know nothing

• happyshorts's Avatar 120 65 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

You certainly don't want to face this on curve.

Think this might be one of the strongest cards of the set.

• frosthearth's Avatar 335 294 Posts Joined 03/18/2019

Very strong card, I'm sure it will find a spot in decks outside of the dragon archetype, which I don't believe has enough support. Flamewreathed faceless was broken, this has 2 less attack but the spell damage can be much better in the right deck. 

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 555 1012 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I like it a lot, but I don't really see how the Spell damage factors into the gameplan. There's not that many spells I see being useful after overloading for 2.

I guess LIghtning Storm and LIghtning Breath is fine, but this just seems overkill

Either way it's a solid dragon for a class that wants to play them, so we can't really complain here.

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• vprr's Avatar Goblin 295 207 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

As always I will stress that +2 spell damage is an incredibly powerful and often overlooked ability, the statline on this card is also insane for this effect.

This is a powerful card, although I do wonder if it will ever see play for the fact that it doesn't really fit into the archetypes that I predict will be powerful (Galakrond and Quest).

• AngryShuckie's Avatar Child of Galakrond 305 161 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From vprr

As always I will stress that +2 spell damage is an incredibly powerful and often overlooked ability, the statline on this card is also insane for this effect.

This is a powerful card, although I do wonder if it will ever see play for the fact that it doesn't really fit into the archetypes that I predict will be powerful (Galakrond and Quest).

My hope is that shaman is split between so many powerhouses that don't really work together, that their power level doesn't really rise from where SoU put it.

I suppose dragon shaman needed something other than Lightning Breath to pull it together, and this looks more like that 'something' than Nithogg does.

• happyshorts's Avatar 120 65 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Zap and lightning bolt become really strong very low cost cards

A 5-7 on turn 4 plus removing a 3 drop is enormously strong.

But your next turn is gonna be very iffy.

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 320 154 Posts Joined 03/16/2019

I like this one a lot. A big dragon body on t4. And the spell dmg to keep it safe if you play it on a later turn. Not too shaby, not too shaby.

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock);

• TheOdinson's Avatar 145 145 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

Well, there goes the format. This isn't quite Flamewreathed Faceless but its pretty damn close. The spell damage means less directly most of the time but it means way more at finishing the game out. If you're running this along with the normal package it could easily make up for those 2 missing attack by giving you 4-6 extra spell damage and just winning you the game. If this ever sticks on the board your opponent is basically done for. The fact that its a Dragon as well pushes it even further into playability. IDK why this is a card.

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.

• ArcanisDF's Avatar Supporter 295 188 Posts Joined 08/01/2019

huge dragon whith nuts spell dmg. amazing tool for board control with any aoe

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 750 1250 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

The spell damage seems a little bit weird, I am not sure exactly what to do with it. Maybe just extra reach on your burn spells? It is also a dragon which does have some merit to it. But let us not get distracted by the text box, this is a 4 mana 5/7. I know that is not as powerful as Flamewreath faceless, but that is still super beefy for a 4 drop. In fact, I almost like this cost/stat distribution more, maybe it is just me, but seeing minions with more health than attack is always very satisfying, even if it isn't as good. 

This card is pretty powerful with a fairly good effect, and a very useful tribe. I will not be the slightest bit surprised to see this card appearing in some midrange/aggro/burn/dragon shaman lists.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• Valord's Avatar 155 146 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

This is I guess suppose to combo with Lightning Breath in the same deck.

• Drageren's Avatar 240 129 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

For standart it's meh, as other said, but for wild. Ofc 4 mana 7-7 is musthave in even sham, but, in late stages of the game, like turn 7 or 8 this card can be better coz you can use all potential of this card with your cracles and zero mana deal 2 (4) and clear 100% sure anything. Maybe, maybe, need some tests.

• padoru's Avatar 135 150 Posts Joined 12/02/2019

4 mana 5/7, overload 2, spell damage +2... why does this sound familiar?

• b4timert's Avatar 125 146 Posts Joined 11/05/2019

4 mana 7/7 sry ment 5/7 with spell power 2.

• troY's Avatar E.V.I.L. Dragon 170 167 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Wow this card seems very strong (and we already got many OP cards revealed). I think this will find a spot in a deck, at least it's not a 4 mana 7/7 xd

• Farfelee's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 355 189 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

A big scary 4 drop to follow up my Lightning Breath. Good stats, dragon synergy, spell damage +2 and overload synergy, what a great card.

More dragons? Yes please!

• mayhern's Avatar 130 145 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Good stats, good power and good cost! Fits like a glove in overload shaman

• Me0203's Avatar Malfurion 135 48 Posts Joined 06/13/2019

I think this will be Thunderhead's best friend. Hark my words.

Better call Thrall! 

Here's a link to my latest deck: Roland, My Roundest Paladin

• sicknantos's Avatar Bulbasaur 330 191 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Yeah, that's what shaman needed, an excellent dragon for 4-mana.

shamanstone

Rage quitting: the best way to ensure your opponent knows they beat a giant baby.

• Koetti's Avatar Island 375 319 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Now that's a cool Shaman-Dragon! Overload, Spelldamage AND a Thunderstorm in the Card art! 

Long, drawn-out Control Match-ups with Boardclears en masse and an unbelievable amount of greedy cards?

Sign me up!

• Mercynary9's Avatar 225 182 Posts Joined 03/31/2019
    Quote From TheOdinson

IDK why this is a card.

This.

Even as a shaman fan, this is absolutely crazy.

There are also good direct and aoe damage spells in a cheap cost too. Make a deck based with new overload cards and this card has almost no downside.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 385 482 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

Whoo boy this is a spicy one. Given the undercosted Overload spells, this has some real potential for mid- and late-game control shenanigans with a healthy enough body to be a threat on it's own. Looking forward to this bad boy.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.