Remove Ads - Go Premium

New Mage Spell - Combustion

• Arthas's Avatar 300 957 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

A new Epic Mage Spell, Combustion, has been revealed!

Combustion Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Scholomance Academy

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Scholomance Academy!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• BloodMefist's Avatar 320 298 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Shadow Bolt for midrange, small AoE for aggressive lists, this card seems crazy good.

• Horus's Avatar Scholomance Scholar 1010 1614 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From BloodMefist

Shadow Bolt for midrange, small AoE for aggressive lists, this card seems crazy good.

Not to mention that increased spell damage is a thing : bonkers! 

Struggle with Heroic Galakrond's Awakening? I got your back : 

• GoliathTheDwarf's Avatar Content Squad Devoted Academic 465 502 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 weeks, 1 day ago

This is a nice alternate version of Rolling Fireball. Of course it works well with the new Headmaster Kel'Thuzad card, but it's also a nice way to get around those Elusive minions that you can't directly target. 

Official Lorekeeper and Spinner of Tavern Tales
    Check out the latest lore guide -- Traversing Azeroth- The Story of Kel'Thuzad

• PLANETCRUNCH's Avatar 425 754 Posts Joined 07/19/2019

man o man thank goodness for this spell, it's so much stronger than Arcane Explosion and isn't reactive like Flame Ward.

My first question is : is the excess damage dealt to the adjacent minions the same or is it split between them?

• dapperdog's Avatar 655 1207 Posts Joined 07/29/2019

Its a good card, but since its easy to play around it, its not going to blow anyone's mind out.

Synergize well with Mo'arg Artificer for some truly ridiculous removal turns. But at that point you might as well just play Rolling Fireball

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 750 1056 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

Under the right board states, this card can do quite a lot for 3 mana. That said, you won't typically get into state in every game. It's not a GREAT card, but in the right places, it's quite effective.

• Synnr7's Avatar Gul'dan 270 54 Posts Joined 07/19/2019

Love positioning matters cards. Really simple and nice effect. 

Casual Dragon Cardgame enthusiast. 

• JackJimson's Avatar Dragon Scholar 240 235 Posts Joined 11/19/2019

Just to clarify, does this split the excess damage to the neighbors? or deals the same damage to both? (though I assume it's the latter).

Example:

You hit a 2/2, will the neighboring minions receive 1 damage each ? or be deal 2 each?

This card makes me think of reverse Betrayal positioning where you should not place the weakest minion in the center lol.

• Nokt's Avatar 80 26 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

To those wondering it is the same damage to both neighbors. So if it hits a card with 2 health, it'll deal 2 damage to the left and right minions. 

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 460 522 Posts Joined 03/16/2019

You can actually combine this with Khadgar and the new Kel'Thuzad for some shenanigans at 10.

And this one base cost is 3, so you can discover it from Magic trick and get a discount.

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock); S76 (Highlander Hunter);

• dapperdog's Avatar 655 1207 Posts Joined 07/29/2019
    Quote From Emptyness

And this one base cost is 3, so you can discover it from Magic trick and get a discount.

Primordial Glyph gives a 2 mana discount, Magic Trick discovers a spell less than 3 but no discounts.

• UVE's Avatar 405 291 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Years before, Jade Lightning saw play in nonjade decks.

3 mana deal 4 dmg to a minion is okish, in addition, the aoe potencial is really sweet against swarm decks.

By The Holy Light!

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 965 2064 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

It's okay I guess? It wants to be used with Spell damage but Mage doesn#t really run spell damage so it's just Shadowbolt with a rare bonus.

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• Meteorite12's Avatar 570 667 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Looks pretty great for a control deck, chances are it’d manage to do a lot to slow down an aggro deck. Kind of useless against control though

Who needs consistency when you could have fun?

• Elfensilver's Avatar 340 462 Posts Joined 03/14/2019

Definitely good enough for highlander decks. 

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Refreshment Vendor 690 1393 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

Good enough for Standard Highlander Mage, but I can't see it included elsewhere. (3) for 4 is still too slow, the versatily of the shape helps a little bit, but not too much.

Just compare to what Dark Skies can do for the same amount of mana.

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 460 522 Posts Joined 03/16/2019
    Quote From dapperdog
    Quote From Emptyness

Primordial Glyph gives a 2 mana discount, Magic Trick discovers a spell less than 3 but no discounts.

Ahh, yes, I messed up there. Thanks for the correction.

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock); S76 (Highlander Hunter);

• FrostyFeet's Avatar Senior Moderator Derpcorn 660 640 Posts Joined 10/20/2018

I love the card. Seems like a very good anti-aggro tool. I keep thinking about Satyr Overseer getting grilled with this and it makes me happy.

• economicaooc's Avatar 255 336 Posts Joined 03/04/2020

An interesting removal card. It could see play as a second volcanic potion if demon hunter continues to be the top aggro deck, and this is potentially better than volcanic against discardlock.

Has a potentially weird interaction with spell damage which could be interesting.

This post is discussing the wild format.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium