New Mage & Rogue Minion - Jandice Barov

Scholomance Academy
  • Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad 2120 2207 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 2 years, 2 months ago

The effect is flashy, although it seems a bit... strange? You're essentially not running a 5-drop in your deck, and instead getting a random one with a 2/1 body added, and the possibility of fooling your opponent (although like Fatespinner, the choice will be obvious in a majority of cases).

It does theoretically have synergy with Conjurer's Calling or Bamboozle, although I feel like if you wanted a 5-drop in your deck, you'd just put that card in your deck instead.

• allthehype's Avatar Crossroads Historian 630 734 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

I like the effect! Cool, creative and really fitting flavorwise for both rogue/mage. Randomness = inconsistency, but definitely playable.

• PLANETCRUNCH's Avatar E.V.I.L. Dragon 810 1221 Posts Joined 07/19/2019

What a strange and interesting Legendary for Rogue and Mage.

Clearly the main focus on this minion is that she summons 2 5 mana minions on your side of the field, even though you have to pick one that dies in one hit. At this time the 5 drop minions are not TERRIBLY strong stat wise or effect wise, the best ones you could get from Jandice would be either have good stats for cost (Venture Co Mercenary), Taunt (Scrap Golem),  a strong effect at the end of your turn (Ras FrostWhisper), Rush (Doctor Krastinov) or deathrattle (Convincing Infiltrator). However since the minions she summons are random you'll most likely end up with Fen Creeper and Chromatic Egg

However both Mage and Rogue have ways to benefit from these generated minions - 

Mage in RoS saw Khadgar and Conjurer's Calling with a lot of constructed play until Mountain Giants was placed in the HOF last year. Both cards can help either double the minions that Jandice creates or allows you to essentially "re-roll" on a particularly terrible 5 drop into hopefully something better. 

Rogue in AoO received the secret Bamboozle, which makes a minion that is being attacked change into one that costs (2) more, so these would become a 7 mana minion. As we've seen in AoS however there has been a fair number of spell based removal that can ignore the secret if played, but many classes are still using minions for removal, so we'll have to see. 

• NegativeNemsy's Avatar 405 203 Posts Joined 07/10/2019

Disappointing!  After 2 dual class reveals, I get the feeling that the design team is having a tough time with Rogue/Mage.  Both cards seem very 'safe'.  Wand Thief is not going to be meta-breaking.  The randomness of Jandice Barov is going to keep this card at bay as well, and the design team knows this.  While the effect is unique, I would hardly call it legendary. 

• Erodos's Avatar Crossroads Historian 935 1017 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Very unique card, I can see it being put in Highlander Mage but not as a stand-out card

• Pezman's Avatar 2035 1696 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

This just doesn't look that good to me. Sure, you might get a pile of stats sometimes, but those 5-drops are RANDOM, and one of them dies easy? I don't know.

"Be excellent to each other." -Bill and Ted

• JackJimson's Avatar 645 659 Posts Joined 11/19/2019

My first impression is this a good evolve target for shaman.

Boggspine Knuckles the turn before. Then drop this the following turn.

If the spawned targets aren't good, then swing. Otherwise hold off.

Another option is to Mutate the "illusion" minion to remove the downside.

Also has some synergy with Corrupt the Waters. 5 5-mana minions for the cost of 2 cards seems potent.

EDIT: Eh, misread. Thought the other half was Shaman.

I have a hard time seeing this is rogue. Only positive I see so far is you can Shadowstep the "illusion" minion to get more value.

• JFK's Avatar Curious Pair 1070 621 Posts Joined 07/31/2019

Too random for a small reward. There's some great synergy in Khadgar and CC, but I doubt it will work (fun deck at the very least).

• Horus's Avatar Wizard 2415 2834 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From YourPrivateNightmare

it's all fun and games until she summons herself twice.

Considering the most recent effort from Team 5 to stop infinite generating combo/cycle, I do hope that they thought about and prevented the possibility of summoning herself, like Dragonqueen Alex was prior to nerf

Struggle with Heroic Galakrond's Awakening? I got your back : 

• Guenh's Avatar Devoted Academic 710 633 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Super cool card and i love the fact that this enable so many mind trick. For 5 mana this is a 7/6 on average plus an enemy interaction. I hope to see more card like this; clapt to develpers

• linkinboy0's Avatar Headmaster 1160 468 Posts Joined 07/07/2019

Good... just good

• SavageDrago's Avatar 290 150 Posts Joined 05/07/2020

Math isn't very good in this one. Lots of bad 5 drops, also many with Battlecries (won't trigger, as usual), and one of them dies to ping, usually you will put it on the weaker one. Attaching everything to 2/1 body won't help that much, unless you can keep making copies of it in hand with some Rogue shenaningans.

• Lemushki's Avatar Squirtle 975 776 Posts Joined 03/22/2019

Trash for laddering, but may be fun!

Lemushki - The one and only since 2006

• Valord's Avatar 465 281 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Fun, interesting and has an amazing flavor to it.

• KingKrush's Avatar Forest 380 129 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Why not make this a legendary spell?  Having a 5 Mana 2-1 minion just send pointless.

• melon101's Avatar 180 47 Posts Joined 06/19/2019

RNG is always good for my opponet, not me!

"My winged children fill the skies."

"A hundred kings will rise again!"
    "Who knows what secrets we'll uncover?"

"The stars align!"
    "The stars align!"

• DoubleSummon's Avatar Ancestral Recall 1580 2271 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

unless you get AOE'd the 1 damage is not always really easy to do.. I think it's a great tempo card and a skill testing for both sides.

• magmalizard's Avatar HearthStationeer 290 145 Posts Joined 03/15/2019

Like Chaos Gazer would say: "choice is an illusion"

• Alfi's Avatar Devoted Academic 1725 1323 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

How good is average 5 cost?

-=alfi=-

• Janusi's Avatar Face Collector 595 225 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

This is a good card. But sometimes, it will summon copies of itself. Only a matter of time.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.