Remove Ads - Go Premium

New Hunter Spell - Carrion Studies

• Arthas's Avatar 300 962 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 2 days ago

A new Common Hunter Spell, Carrion Studies, has been revealed!

Carrion Studies Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Scholomance Academy

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Scholomance Academy!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 965 2065 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

that sounds rather strong. there are plenty of good deathrattles to pick from and you can set up tempo for future turns. Might be one of the better Studies

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• economicaooc's Avatar 255 337 Posts Joined 03/04/2020

The biggest problem this card has is the sheer magnitude of awful cards in the pool.

The card's unreliability might be mitigated if the discount helps you curve into a big deathrattle minion, but this seems unlikely to see play.

This post is discussing the wild format.

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 910 1735 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

The ability to play a card earlier is just amazing, I think most studies cards will see play they are all really good.

• BloodMefist's Avatar 320 298 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

The pool for deathrattle cards is large and filled with garbage.  The discount is nice and might allow this to see play in a dedicated deathrattle deck, but I don't think it has any application outside of that since there is just too much junk in the deathrattle pool.

• KANSAS's Avatar 1100 2130 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I really like the studies because they just seem all around really fair. I don't know if they will be practical to play since it is 1 card to get 1 random card, but the flexability is nice so I think they will at least be used by players with small collections to help fill out the gaps in their deck.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• Brandon's Avatar Devoted Outlander 305 375 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Seems really good for deathrattle hunter, but we gotta talk about "the elephant in the room".

The discover nerf from quite a while ago. What this means for this card is that you get neutral deathrattle minions at the same rate as class minions. And neutral has a BUNCH of BAD deathrattle minions, like: The Beast, and Rustsworn Cultist. With other studies it's not that bad, however there are waaay more deathrattle minions in neutral, than let's say... spell-damage minions. 

Edit: Okay i should have looked better at Rustsworn Cultist, i saw this card when i sorted all the cards in standard on the  "deathrattle" tag, and immediately thought "Oh Rustsworn Cultrist is a bad card, that's a good example of why there are a lot of bad deathrattles". Probably shouldn't have done a bunch of these card discussions at midnight. Oh well, i suppose i'll take a better look next time. I'm leaving the Rustsworn Cultist part in, because i see this as a good learning lesson.

• Meteorite12's Avatar 570 668 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Brandon

Seems really good for deathrattle hunter, but we gotta talk about "the elephant in the room".

The discover nerf from quite a while ago. What this means for this card is that you get neutral deathrattle minions at the same rate as class minions. And neutral has a BUNCH of BAD deathrattle minions, like: The Beast, and Rustsworn Cultist. With other studies it's not that bad, however there are waaay more deathrattle minions in neutral, than let's say... spell-damage minions. 

Rustsworn isn’t a deathrattle, it just gives other minions deathrattles.

Probably still too many bad deathrattles for this to be good though, even with the discount

Who needs consistency when you could have fun?

• DarkFrostX's Avatar 290 436 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

You can't get Rustsworn Cultist, it is not a deathrattle minion.

• Koetti's Avatar Island 545 657 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Cheating out Stuff like Savannah Highmane, Teacher's Pet or even Augmented Porcupine sounds pretty good.

Long, drawn-out Control Match-ups with Boardclears en masse and an unbelievable amount of greedy cards?

Sign me up!

• Pezman's Avatar 580 759 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

I think all the Studies cards will be worth playing, this one included. Sure, you'll whiff on the Discover sometimes, but you still get the discount on your next minion.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 750 1056 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

The Studies seem good. Sometimes you might get a bad Deathrattle minion in the pool, but then you just... don't pick it and pick something else. If all your choices were bad, then just pick the least bad (or best for current situation), and you just got a bit unlucky. You still get to play one of your Deathrattle minions that you put into your deck on purpose out faster, so it's still a win.

• dapperdog's Avatar 655 1213 Posts Joined 07/29/2019

Good card that gives value. Except, hunters dont typically need value. If you're running a deathrattle deck, aggro deck, beast deck, whatever, then chances are good you'd have exactly the thing to play on curve and this card messes with it.

Will it make the cut? Likely, but only because the secondary effect of the card, which is to discount deathrattles exist, or otherwise this card is just unplayable. With the discount, you can get Bloated Python or Zixor, Apex Predator out on 2, which is a really strong play for a theoretical deathrattle hunter.

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 460 522 Posts Joined 03/16/2019

Those studies are really something that we should look for in this expansion. Like the primes in the previous one. 

Hunter has some nice deathrattle minions and the discount can come in handy as well. A good card overall.

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock); S76 (Highlander Hunter);

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 420 532 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I think this can be very good - there are lots of decent Deathrattles and it is also good to put down some stronger cards a little earlier so i guess this will see play.

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• Vandaren's Avatar 320 526 Posts Joined 06/05/2019

I like all the studies, and i like that hunter get the deathrattle, and even give back some tempo, ofc i'll play it.

• PLANETCRUNCH's Avatar Judicious Junior 425 754 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

It's a cheap, flexible spell that can be used to find a minion on curve or just be used to activate spell burst effects.

This spell has a nice synergy with Bloated Python and Teacher's Pet on turns 2 and 4 instead of 3 and 5. it can also discover deathrattle minions you might not have slotted in or want to play on curve later such as Savannah Highmane.

It should be noted that in the past discover effects used to favor the players class, but that was removed when EVIL Flunky kept discovering itself in Saviors of Ulduum. As such, this card has a small chance to discover the class legendaries from AoO that become the late game Prime minions some decks build themselves around. 

• Horus's Avatar Scholomance Scholar 1010 1615 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

There is a lot of powerful (0) and (1) mana cards in this set, and this one is one of them.
    I love it

Struggle with Heroic Galakrond's Awakening? I got your back : 

• JFK's Avatar 470 437 Posts Joined 07/31/2019
  • Guenh's Avatar Devoted Academic 395 496 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

I think all study are somewhat strong. With this you can find some strong deathrattle if you are lucky otherwise it's just a discount for your next minion (like Zixor or Mok'Nathal Lion)

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium