Remove Ads - Go Premium

New Warrior Spell - Athletic Studies

• Arthas's Avatar 300 962 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago

A new Common Warrior Spell, Athletic Studies, has been revealed!

Athletic Studies Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Scholomance Academy

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Scholomance Academy!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 965 2064 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I'd consider it decent. It allows for some funky combos with other rush synergies

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 910 1730 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

warrior plays rush cards anyway the flexibility of discover is good.. now you can play the upgrade guy at 4 mana instead!

• BloodMefist's Avatar 320 298 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Seems decent enough.  Has some nice synergy with other cards in the expansion like Doctor Krastinov or Playmaker.  Being able to consistently get something that will have any board impact seem pretty strong.

• clawz161's Avatar Mountain 365 377 Posts Joined 07/16/2019

Would you play this over Boom Squad? I doubt it. 

I DON'T FIGHT FOR GOOD. AND I DON'T FIGHT FOR EVIL. I JUST FIGHT!

• KANSAS's Avatar 1100 2130 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From clawz161

The big difference between this and Boom Squad is that with this card you are guaranteed a pro-active card. When discovering a Rush minion you know right away that the card will be able to swing and probably kill something the turn you play it. Dragon Mech and Lackey could be anything.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• clawz161's Avatar Mountain 365 377 Posts Joined 07/16/2019
    Quote From KANSAS
    Quote From clawz161

The big difference between this and Boom Squad is that with this card you are guaranteed a pro-active card. When discovering a Rush minion you know right away that the card will be able to swing and probably kill something the turn you play it. Dragon Mech and Lackey could be anything.

It's the fact it could be anything that's the thing, I think Athletic Studies and Boom Squad are basically Omega Assembly broken up into two cards. Whereas you would rather play Athletic Studies early for tempo, but it wouldn't be as good on average at say ten mana, since most rush minions aren't good that late. Boom Squad is granted less consistent as Athletic Studies, but it gives you a better card on average in the late game. The same way three random mechs is better that one random mech. Not even mentioning a lackey would probably help you in tempo better earlier than a random rush minion since it would only be one mana, and even if you don't get a proactive one, you could still just discover again, if the lackey you didn't need was even the best choice.

I DON'T FIGHT FOR GOOD. AND I DON'T FIGHT FOR EVIL. I JUST FIGHT!

• economicaooc's Avatar 255 337 Posts Joined 03/04/2020

Rush minions are a less variable pool than those of some of the other studies, but I still think that this card is unlikely to see a lot of play.

It's hard to justify running a discover effect over the actual card that you want when what you generate will always be broadly the same.

This post is discussing the wild format.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 750 1056 Posts Joined 03/19/2019

It's decent as Rush Warrior support. Not as much as Town Crier which is vaguely similar, although it's not too bad.

That said, in Wild, you'd probably just play Town Crier instead. In Standard, I'm not sure where this goes, but getting Rush minions is decent as it can always do something.

• DarkFrostX's Avatar 290 436 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Rush minions are always great and warrior has most of the best like Restless Mummy

• dapperdog's Avatar 655 1211 Posts Joined 07/29/2019

Discover a minion to go to town with. Why not?

I already have problems including Kargath Bladefist into my decks because of fking priest, so this one's a nice little inclusion that allows me the chance to do so while also denying priest a win condition.

Besides which, a rush minion will almost always be useful to warrior, whether its aggro or control.

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 420 532 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Good addition to most Aggro Warriors right now because they usualy have some Rush Minions - this could work pretty good.

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• Vandaren's Avatar 320 525 Posts Joined 06/05/2019

You can discover Doctor Krastinov from this, right. Can be good if i don't open him in packs. All the studies are great, and this one is no exception.

• Brandon's Avatar Devoted Outlander 305 373 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Really good for warrior, as warrior has a LOT of rush cards. This means that despite the discover nerf, warriors still have a big chance to discover a class rush card. Will see mainly play in control warrior, because they LOVE clearing the board. Will perhaps see play in some kind of recruit warrior resurgence, as they don't want to put "whiff" their Dimensional Rippers and other "recruit" cards. 

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 910 1730 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From clawz161

do people even play Boom Squad?

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 460 522 Posts Joined 03/16/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Too many good cards. I think a lot of refinement will go in to every deck and every class. 

And while the studies are good for every class (especially with the discount), I think this and some of the others just won't find an available slot. It's just too much RNG and unless you want to use the discount for some funky "combo", you will just include the stuff that you want and not try to get it this way. 

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock); S76 (Highlander Hunter);

• Pezman's Avatar 580 759 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

I think this is the best Studies card. Rush is such a powerful mechanic, and there are so many good rush minions (and yes, a bunch of bad ones). Am I correct in recalling that Discover effects favor class cards over neutrals? If so, your chances of getting something awesome like Restless Mummy or Kargath Bladefist are increased.

• dapperdog's Avatar 655 1211 Posts Joined 07/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From Pezman

I think this is the best Studies card. Rush is such a powerful mechanic, and there are so many good rush minions (and yes, a bunch of bad ones). Am I correct in recalling that Discover effects favor class cards over neutrals? If so, your chances of getting something awesome like Restless Mummy or Kargath Bladefist are increased.

No. You no longer get that increased chance for class cards in discovers. Gone since Uldum when it was apparent that shaggy was getting warrior too many copies of himself and Armagedillos.

• Pezman's Avatar 580 759 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Ah yes, I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

• JFK's Avatar 470 437 Posts Joined 07/31/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Another card that seems like it's supporting rush or whatever, but actually fits very well in big warrior. You can get an early game proactive minion to contest the board before you start cheating out giants.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium