New Druid Minion - Druid of the Plains

Forged in the Barrens
  • Pezman's Avatar 2025 1679 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 1 year, 4 months ago

This card's value will be entirely based on whether it survives its first trade. If not, it's just a 7 mana removal (possibly not even that). If it does, it's massively good.

"Be excellent to each other." -Bill and Ted

• Zelgadis's Avatar Wizard 935 669 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Synnr7
    Quote From Zelgadis
    Quote From Synnr7

Definitely seems like a contender for N'zoth style decks but the front half is the one you want back. The taunt side isn't aweful but still clutters the rez pool a bit.

What beast are you playing that you would rather see resurrected than a 6/7 taunt? Usually I'm already content to get Circus Amalgam back.

Fleethoof Pearltusk

Marsh Hydra

Winged Guardian

I know the guardian is going out soon. Like I said a 6/7 taunt isn't bad but I tend to prefer rush for immediate action or reborn for sticking around if I can get it.

Winged Guardian is a strictly better resurrection indeed. Whether taunt or rush is better depends on the situation: rush gives you more control, but versus a wide board you run the risk of removing one minion and then getting hit in the face by the rest. It also depends on what other minions you have in the rez pool: all-taunts is vulnerable to AoE, so you probably want a mix of rush, taunt and deathrattle.

Druid of the Plains is more defensive when first played than Marsh Hydra and easier to play early than a corrupted Pearltusk, which is important if there is any aggro in the meta. I think that advantage would outweigh the small differences in resurrect value, since it will come up more often: both because you can play Druid of the Plains as a 2-of and because you have to get through the early game before you get to play N'Zoth.

If your opponent already has a big minion in play by the time you draw Druid of the Plains, you do have the option to sacrifice the first half and then try to get the frenzy to trigger on the N'Zoth turn. I don't think this will come up often, but it might when two slower decks face each other.

• Zelgadis's Avatar Wizard 935 669 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Pezman

This card's value will be entirely based on whether it survives its first trade. If not, it's just a 7 mana removal (possibly not even that). If it does, it's massively good.

If you summon it on turn 5 using Overgrowth or Lightning Bloom, it's quite likely to survive the trade. Later in the game it might not survive every trade, but then you probably have more freedom to pick the right moment for it.

• Sparkinarius's Avatar Crossroads Historian 715 471 Posts Joined 07/18/2019

Coilfang Warlord is an insane card that doesn't get spotlighted since it's in DH, a class that doesn't need to play a card above six mana thanks to Skull of Gul'dan. Druid of the Plains is basically a Warlord adjusted to be seven mana, but instead of needing the front half to die, you need the frost half to survive. Seeing how Druid is looking to have some serious beast synergy with the return of Menagerie Warden and they'll still have Overgrowth that curves into Druid of the Plains, I see some serious competitive potential for this card.

For glory, honor, and gold!

• Hydrafrog's Avatar Gul'dan 1805 3008 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

This is such a good card.  It is as close to direct damage as you can get and leaving something sticky on the board to boot

• og0's Avatar Red Riding Hood 1570 1062 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Card seems strong in a class with ramp (not sure what ramp is available following rotation + core set).

All generalizations are false.

• CardStone's Avatar 190 60 Posts Joined 03/01/2021

Beast Druida Inc.

• Ibarrai's Avatar Illidari Autobot 1140 45 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

Seems broken at first sight..

Always rank 20/Bronze.

• Topandito's Avatar 900 467 Posts Joined 03/29/2019

I mean I doubt a 6/7 with taunt that deals 7 damage to a minion can be bad, even if its limited to minions with 5 attack or less.

• BigE's Avatar Peasant 1175 589 Posts Joined 05/28/2020

Great looking card. It has an interesting effect. 

Chumbawumba is the worst band name. 

• sevenmphillips's Avatar Jaina 80 2 Posts Joined 11/09/2020

Reminds me of coilfang warlord

• JackJimson's Avatar 640 630 Posts Joined 11/19/2019

First thought that came to mind was Coilfang Warlord which is a strong card but didn't see play since Big DH isn't a thing. I think this card will find a better home in druid who is better at ramping. I find it hard to see any big druid deck not running this.

• samwisetarly's Avatar 330 119 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Maybe the best Frenzy card yet.

• Horus's Avatar Wizard 2385 2691 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Think it is mostly playable - a good tempo beast for Druid - whom won't have trouble ramping it up and playing early on

Struggle with Heroic Galakrond's Awakening? I got your back : 

• TheDarkLord's Avatar Planeswalker 1040 248 Posts Joined 02/02/2019

I like this card quite a bit.  Potentially decent board single target removal, with a solid body left to taunt your enemies to boot?  Feels good, man.

• Thonson's Avatar HearthStationeer 1685 1522 Posts Joined 03/24/2019

A lot of potential in this card.  And with Menagerie Warden coming back into the set they seem like they want to go all in on Beast Druid finally after a few failed attempts over the years.

Quick!  Someone give me something clever to write here.

• slychd's Avatar Sparklepony 1175 484 Posts Joined 05/30/2019

This is a really good card, removal and then a transformation to taunt. This will make it into a deck.

• h0lysatan's Avatar Zombie 1025 704 Posts Joined 12/03/2019

For a 7 mana minions, it's both versatile and slow. But seeing how easy Druid ramping up mana, I guess 7 mana is nothing. Will see a lot of play.

Knowledge is Power

• Vision136's Avatar Partygoer 360 71 Posts Joined 03/28/2019

Seems very powerful, nice highend for some sort of midrange druid deck I would think.

• Alfi's Avatar Devoted Academic 1715 1294 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Basically spell Deal 7 damage to a minion and summon a 6/7 taunt for 7 mana - Firelands Portal

-=alfi=-

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.