Help me reach Legend!

• Tuscarora87's Avatar Face Collector 265 140 Posts Joined 06/02/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

Fine. Feels bad when you brick from time to time, but this deck highrolls very consistently and you don't even notice how many more times you feel good rather than bad.

• Vandaren's Avatar 615 636 Posts Joined 06/05/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

What's wrong with Tempo Storm, my good sir?

• og0's Avatar 1430 1018 Posts Joined 03/31/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

I've noticed that after you've reached Legend for the first time, and it's no longer a big deal of "I must reach Legend!!!", it's much easier.  Sometimes I get Legend kind of accidentally where I wasn't really even trying (and I'm an OK player, maybe good but not great/ultra fantastic).

I used to wish I could turn off rank display so I could just play without ladder anxiety or feel the need to play hard to climb.  Just play.

I think many of us try too hard rather than simply playing, enjoying the game, trying to be a better player and let legend come naturally.

If you are Diamond 5+ a few times, Legend is inevitable if you simply play a fair bit, enjoy the game and retain 95% focus.

All generalizations are false.

• AbusingKel's Avatar Global Moderator 715 274 Posts Joined 02/02/2019
    Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From Pezman

Last night, after tanking back to the rank floor once again, I switched back to Ramp Pally and went on a 6-game win streak. Several of you have noted the strengths of this deck over the control Warlock, and you were right. Plus the deck is really fun. I have to admit that a turn 4 Alura-coin-TiptheScales feels really unfair, but if it wins games, I'm doing it.

Most of my matches yesterday were against Weapon Rogue and Gibberling Druid, and Ramp Pally does much better against both. Does anyone else think that Nitroboost Poison is problematic? At 1 mana, it's way too easy to corrupt and yields too much value combined with Self-Sharpening Sword.

Definitely a good choice. The horde of primes from Envoy Rustwix shenanigans is tons of fun but there really aren't any great builds for it. Any deck doing that is at a disadvantage in the meta. If you enjoy playing a top tier deck, that's the best course of action. Get that card back and move on! 

Now you kids are probably saying to yourselves, "Hey Matt, how can we get back on the right track?" 

• Pezman's Avatar Academy Adventurer 1715 1563 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

Update: win streak today brought me right up to Diamond 1 full stars! One win away from Legend, I faced a Weapon Rogue and drew both Tip the Scales after mulligan, and very little useful early game stuff. Needless to say, I lost. Next match was Demon Hunter, and once again, bad draws did me in. Taking a break for now, but I WILL get there!

• FrostyFeet's Avatar Senior Moderator Derpcorn 1760 1333 Posts Joined 10/20/2018
    Posted 8 months ago

A great philosopher once said: "You've got this! You're way ahead!"

Over half a month left, I smell a new Legend.

Posted 8 months ago

Another tough session this evening. Up and down rank 2, ending at rank 3 with 2 stars. Losing to secret mage and warlock (Tickatus and Zoo), beating paladin and druid pretty consistently. 50/50 against warriors. Killed one priest and one rogue. Haven't seen the other 3 classes in awhile.

• Vandaren's Avatar 615 636 Posts Joined 06/05/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

It's not even half of the month and you're already standing at the Legend doorstep. I think you just have to do the usuals that you have to do, make sure you are in the best condition both body and mind when you climb.

If you can top the snowball-throwing leaderboard (lol), then ofc you can reach Legend too.

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1735 2904 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

Congratulations! Which legendary did you get?

Carrion, my wayward grub.

• drfelip's Avatar Dragon Scholar 365 274 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From ArcticFox

Hey Tuscarora87,

I wanted to ask you (or anybody else listening): Where do you find your information on the best decks out there?

I agree with the recommendation of Vicious Syndicate, the only problem is that sometimes the meta changes (for example after nerfs) and they take a few days to publish a report, they have good data and good analysts.

The pleasure is mine.

My last standard decks: nothing special right now.

Posted 8 months ago

Congrats! I'm pushing again for my first time Legend this season. Fingers crossed.

The pleasure is mine.

Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From KANSAS

Congratulations! Which legendary did you get?

Thanks! I got Gruul. I have all classic legendaries, so he's a dupe.

Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From drfelip

Congrats! I'm pushing again for my first time Legend this season. Fingers crossed.

I'm rooting for you! Where are you now, and what are you playing?

• Riffraff's Avatar 720 306 Posts Joined 04/30/2020
    Posted 8 months ago

Awesome Pezman! Happy for you!

Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From Riffraff

Awesome Pezman! Happy for you!

Thanks friend!

Posted 8 months ago

After hitting legend earlier today with a 7 game win streak, I continued later on with another 5 games in a row and nabbed the 12-wins-in-a-row achievement. I have to admit, Ramp Paladin is not only really strong but actually pretty easy to pilot. I've never used a deck tracker. The deck has 9 murlocs (no amalgams), so it isn't hard to use Alura and Tip the Scales for maximum value. I think the toughest decisions you have to make are whether or not to jam Nozdormu when you get him on curve. This requires anticipating your opponent's game plan, reading their hand, and evaluating your own. If your opponent could easily avoid killing your Redscale Dragontamer and chooses to kill it, watch out. They WANT you to play Nozdormu.

I really appreciate all the support from folks here, it really motivated me to keep at it. For those of you who have never made it to legend and dream of doing so, you can do it! The advice on this thread here is solid. I think the most important thing is to choose a deck that is strong in the current meta AND you enjoy playing, and then make sure you're in the right frame of mind. It's a game, and should be fun!

Good luck my friends!

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1590 1684 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 8 months ago

Congrats, well done! I'm very happy for you :-)

Now I'm curious if you'll do it again. For me, it was a one time thing I did with Bomb Hunter in 2019 in Standard and with Darkest Hour Warlock in Wild just two days before the deck got nerfed. I've come close again in Wild several times, but never reached legend again. I just don't like the grind and having to play completely optimized Tier 1 decks. But I still remember that awesome feeling of doing it for the first time :-)

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

Congrats, well done! I'm very happy for you :-)

Now I'm curious if you'll do it again. For me, it was a one time thing I did with Bomb Hunter in 2019 in Standard and with Darkest Hour Warlock in Wild just two days before the deck got nerfed. I've come close again in Wild several times, but never reached legend again. I just don't like the grind and having to play completely optimized Tier 1 decks. But I still remember that awesome feeling of doing it for the first time :-)

Probably just a one time thing for me. I only seriously pushed for legend once before (don't remember when exactly, probably around 2 or 3 years ago), and I got so stressed during each match it became less fun and I quit. This month it was consistently fun and challenging without being too stressful. I won't try it again unless I feel similarly favorable circumstances. It's a great achievement that I can claim now, so I don't feel much need to push again.

Posted 8 months ago
    Quote From Pezman
    Quote From drfelip

I'm rooting for you! Where are you now, and what are you playing?

Diamond 8 still, yesterday I went 3-3, so I didn't win a single star :/

I'm playing Whirlkick Rogue, I love the playstyle!

The pleasure is mine.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium