The radio silence is deafening

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 1400 1377 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 1 month, 4 weeks ago
    Quote From aposteljoe

The mode will be released tomorrow and there was no pre-release streamer event or similar. I'm used to be on the positive side for Mercenaries but for me that looks like Blizz is not very confident about the game (mode)...

Several streamers have been playing it for a while. That sounds like something similar to me.

I'm not sure the usual sort of streamer event would work very well with Mercs. because unlike normal HS you don't just get all the cards and everyone is on a level playing field. It takes time to level characters, and that process is a large part of the game. Hence why the drawn out stuff we've seen with a handful of streamers is more appropriate.

• aposteljoe's Avatar COMMENT_COUNT_500_HS 1015 530 Posts Joined 06/18/2019

What about a PvP Event with fully developed Mercs? Or a kind of draft format: every player get's X Packs and has to form a team from it.

Quote From aposteljoe

What about a PvP Event with fully developed Mercs? Or a kind of draft format: every player get's X Packs and has to form a team from it.

These can be done, but they're not without problems. Using fully leveled mercs won't actually be representative of what players experience when it goes live. Meanwhile, using mercs straight from packs leaves them at level 1, when they only have 1 ability, so PvP won't be very engaging.

On top of all of that, people just don't have the same understanding of the game that they do with normal HS. One of the things that makes HS so good to watch is that you're in some sense 'passively engaged', because you can see the hand and the current board state, so you can consider what you would do in that situation. Until we've all had a chance to actually play it and internalise what the different characters can do, there will be a much greater disconnect when watching Mercs gameplay, with a lot of stuff just happening in front of you.

When all this is considered together, I don't really see what such an event achieves right now. That said, I could picture doing one ahead of the next batch of mercs characters being added. Then people can combine them with characters we already know and understand. 

Even Duels had a pre-release event.

Posted 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Quote From aposteljoe

Even Duels had a pre-release event.

Right, and Duels is just PvP dungeon run with a tiny bit of constructed to it, so doesn't have any of the issues I said exist for doing it with Mercs.  

I think you're way too bothered by it anyway. It really doesn't matter if Blizz is confident about the mode or not. What matters is whether you like the mode as it is, so just wait 'til it releases tomorrow and decide whether you like it or not then. 

Why wasn't there any effort to build up hype then?

• Suchti0352's Avatar Hero of Warcraft 645 573 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

They kinda tried. Over the past week or so the twitter account made more than 10 posts about the merc release and the youtube channel uploaded 4 videos in the same timespane.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.