Wild players: how do you still enjoy it?

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Refreshment Vendor 865 1487 Posts Joined 03/27/2019
    Posted 1 year, 12 months ago

Mech Paladin, Secret Mage, Sniplock.

Now we have Evo Shaman too (ft. Corridor Creeper and Devolve, playing on the board is basically a stupid idea).

Games are often sealed at turn 4-5 (through retarded cycling in one turn, making old Miracle Rogue look like a dumb clown).

I am not enjoying the game at all. The main feeling is hopelessness.

Even sitting at rank5 floor, it's disheartening.

My long-built collection is basically a huge sh1tload of a waste of time.

I am not just salty, i am extremely disappointed.

How do you still enjoy this abomination? If you do.

• iWatchUSleep's Avatar 920 776 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I don't. Standard is shamans and wild is as you described.

I do my dailies and then play something else. Arena has never interested me and I couldn't care less about Battlegrounds.

Just waiting for December 10th, really...

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 1370 1371 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

The most important part to enjoying Wild is to never reach rank 5. Preferably mess around at rank 15 if possible, where literally anything goes and your long-built collection can be used to its fullest.

As a good player you may find yourself 'accidentally' climbing to rank 10. That's OK, but to actually enjoy the game mode try to avoid going any further.

Of course if you are a Spike player this may all sound preposterous, but Wild is actually great at low ranks because that is where a lot of people with large collections and no interest in climbing the ladder hang out. You just need to relax and play something a bit stupid to appreciate it.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Refreshment Vendor 865 1487 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

I also thought the new expansion could help.

But i am not moving to Standard. And Wild is bound to stay abysmal, (until they accept we need hard nerfs on all curve-cheating mechanics, but that will never happen).

I play the game because of my collection.

Having it cyclically crippled for Standard is not an option for me.

My problem ofc. But i was wondering and hoping that at least i'm not the only one...

PS: i am partly Spike, and that's why content myself with r5, sometimes reaching r3 by chance. I guess being just partly, not fully Spike is exactly my problem...

PPS: i don't mind powercreep, as long as it distributed AND it doesn't become brokencreep...

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Skeleton 1650 3567 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

and this is why I gave up on maintaining a stable Wild collection long ago.

As much as Standard is a dumpsterfire, at least it keeps changing while Wild is just a Nightmare Amalgam of powercreep.

The thing I hate most about Wild is the fact that despite a huge cardpool only a fraction (and probably less than in Standard) is ever going to be useful.

The only Wild decks I still kept around are Discardlock and Jade Rogue (for Nostalgia reasons)

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

Quote From AngryShuckie

The most important part to enjoying Wild is to never reach rank 5. Preferably mess around at rank 15 if possible, where literally anything goes and your long-built collection can be used to its fullest.

As a good player you may find yourself 'accidentally' climbing to rank 10. That's OK, but to actually enjoy the game mode try to avoid going any further.

Of course if you are a Spike player this may all sound preposterous, but Wild is actually great at low ranks because that is where a lot of people with large collections and no interest in climbing the ladder hang out. You just need to relax and play something a bit stupid to appreciate it.

I actually reached rank 13 last season due to not playing wild for a few months. But, unlike what you described, I faced big priests back to back at those ranks. So this seems even less appealing to me than the warlocks and mages at higher ranks.

• Roflmano's Avatar 205 15 Posts Joined 06/04/2019

By only playing meme/gimmick decks around rank 15, crushing netdecks from time to time feels extra good, when it's with a homebrew memedeck :)

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 1370 1371 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From iWatchUSleep
    Quote From AngryShuckie

I actually reached rank 13 last season due to not playing wild for a few months. But, unlike what you described, I faced big priests back to back at those ranks. So this seems even less appealing to me than the warlocks and mages at higher ranks.

OK, so it's not all sunshine and roses, but there is genuine diversity and plenty of surprise decks. Also I did specify rank 15. Rank 14 is normally quite diverse too but 13-11 get worse as people actually try to bridge the gap to 10.

I don't know if there is much variation with this across servers though (I'm on EU).

• kaiserkarl's Avatar Plains 295 133 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Honestly, I do my dailies and gtfo. I've been a wild player since it's inception, and this expansion, I've found myself playing in standard mode. I guess Bibli finally managed to push me away from there as I suspected they would after they left big priest unchecked for more than two years. I always knew this moment was gonna come and here we are.

I mean wild doesn't bring the company any money (not the amount expected). They brought this format so we wouldn't burn their offices to the ground but looking at  the way they've been handling the player base there, it's obvious too me that they don't give a fuck about us. They have zero incentive making your experience better in wild, believe me.

I'm still playing this game because I invested so much time and money, that I can't just let it go. I'm still having fun sometimes, but truth is those moments are being engulfed by the bad ones. Even though I've been pretty hyped by this expansion (been waiting for viable dragon shit for years now), I think (hope) this will be my last one nonetheless and that Legends or Runeterra will be my salvation.

Elders Scrolls : Legends / Runeterra

• Bystekhilcar's Avatar 270 334 Posts Joined 09/02/2019

I personally enjoy Wild on occasion, usually when Standard starts to make me irritable. There are certain decks there, such as Renolock, which can still answer all of the ridiculousness that gets quoted while playing relatively fair. There are others, like Mech'thun Warlock, which can beat the fotm BS decks on average, and that always makes me smile.

There are three factors, though, which probably push me to Wild more regularly than I otherwise would visit:

1. Some of the relative evergreen decks are ones I loved at the time (Renolock being a good one), and it's always nice to be able to revisit an old friend.

2. The average skill level of players in Wild is lower, as well as occasionally coming across someone who blatantly doesn't play Wild much. Which sounds ridiculous - what is life without challenge, after all - but when I've hit a bad patch in Standard it's nice to be able to unwind with a relaxation of requirements.

3. The actual skill requirements of Wild are actually higher than in Standard, players notwithstanding. I'm aware that this statement is going to get some knee-jerk reactions, but hear me out. I accept that the average Wild player is worse than the average Standard one - see point 2 above. However, there is actually a much larger pool of viable decks in Wild than there is in Standard, and has been for a long time. If you play between 5-legend in Standard, you'll see maybe 5 archetypes in 30 games, if you're lucky. You'll see twice that in Wild, if not more. Yes, you'll still see the 'big' decks very often - but there's plenty of stuff which isn't central to the meta that can still take wins with a good pilot.

This, in turn, means that to succeed in Wild requires a breadth of knowledge and understanding of a lot more decks than in Standard. You also need to take a lot more into account when planning for random variables. 

Example - in the run-up to the Wild open last year, I played against Zananananan four times in a row (this was before they put measures in place to prevent that). First game, he creamed me with a Mech'thun variant. Second game, I swapped to Evenlock (which I was confident could put out enough pressure to reliably get the win). Third game, he in turn swapped to an APM Priest variant and creamed me. Fourth, he did so again. At that point I may have gotten annoyed and stopped playing, but that's not the point...

The point is that if you looked at the various meta reports at that time, neither Mech'thun druid nor APM Priest were even listed. But they were strong enough to take wins off what was, at that time, one of the strongest decks in the Wild meta. And we're not talking lower ranks, either - this was around 150 Legend, and Zananananan is, to my understanding at least, a professional (I, quite decidedly, am not and couldn't compete with him).

Anyway. That's why I personally enjoy Wild. The above notwithstanding, however, I also fully appreciate that it's not for everyone. I can be frustrated with it sometimes too. All I can say is - if you're not enjoying it, don't play it?

I see you when you're sleeping; I'm gone before you wake

I'm not as good as turn 4 Barnes; But I'm at least a Twilight Drake

Quote From AngryShuckie

OK, so it's not all sunshine and roses, but there is genuine diversity and plenty of surprise decks. Also I did specify rank 15. Rank 14 is normally quite diverse too but 13-11 get worse as people actually try to bridge the gap to 10.

I don't know if there is much variation with this across servers though (I'm on EU).

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with your statement. It's just what I noticed while I was at those ranks. That's also the main reason I didn't experiment much at those ranks because I can't stand losing to those priests.

I'm EU too so no difference there haha

• doingtheobvious's Avatar Alterac Historian 1040 637 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I find it less and less fun to get to rank 5 each season is the long and short of it.

Sunk cost fallacy is what the only thing that keeps people playing Wild as a format.

• Maurice's Avatar Eldritch Horror 580 203 Posts Joined 07/12/2019

Quote From Author
    "How do you still enjoy this abomination? If you do."

With new PW climbing from rank 10 to 3 with 70% WR. ^^

I see you!

• Crusader2010's Avatar Garrosh 430 115 Posts Joined 05/30/2019

I don't understand why you folks keep playing this game. Most of the posts here seem to be from disappointed people that keep on doing it because of unpractical reasons (big collection, dailies, to enjoy some stupidity etc).

Why waste your time? Isn't a game supposed to be fulfilling? When are you gonna cut your losses? Isn't your time worth more?

You might say you don't have something to play while you poop. But why do you need to play anything then? Focusing on what you are doing is beneficial for your body. Not focusing is detrimental. 

Moreover, you spend 15 minutes on the toilet when you could've been done in 5. Why waste 10 minutes with something completely useless (since you are clearly not enjoying the game)?

Cut your losses and be happy with something new.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 505 626 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

Two ways:

1. I completely agree with AngryShuckie up there - I never bother to ladder past rank 15 and ranks 20-15 *TEND* to be pretty diverse and more fun. You still of course see the occasional Secret Mage/Big Priest/etc. but they're definitely the minority compared to other decks. Also I play Wild Casual a lot because it really seems (I don't use a tracker so not positive) like the Tier 1 netdecking is much less common than in Standard, so you can run into the really funny/goofy memes and OTKs and the like.

2. I mainly use Wild to play decks I had a lot of fun with when they were in Standard and I don't want to let them go entirely. So mainly Dragon Priest (nice power ups this expansion!), Spell Hunter, Demonlock, and Odd DK Jaina Elemental Mage. I can see Mech Warrior & Burgle Rogue getting added to the pile here once rotation hits in April. So I guess this point is mostly: play the decks you have the most fun with?

• Irini's Avatar 150 20 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Got to Legend with my own build of Dragon Reno Mage, so it's not all lost yet. Playing some Quest Reno Mage in Legend, which is also a lot of fun. (Well, maybe not so much for my opponents).

Started on rank 2 when the expansion hit and the most frequent opponent is Pirate Warrior while the Secret Mage numbers dwindled a lot.

• Marega's Avatar 575 847 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I would like to know this play to rank 15 meta. For me its just rank 5 to legend. All meta decks. Rank 19 in standard got shaman tier s deck wild rank 17 its pally snip big priest etc. No memes. Maybe 1 out of 10

• Lemushki's Avatar Squirtle 945 740 Posts Joined 03/22/2019
    Quote From iWatchUSleep

I do my dailies and then play something else. Arena has never interested me and I couldn't care less about Battlegrounds.

I come from the future. Standar Is Still plagued by shaman but at least nerfs are coming. Wild Is Still fun :)

Lemushki - The one and only since 2006

• Painkiller1724's Avatar 200 132 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From Lemushki
    Quote From iWatchUSleep

I come from the future. Standar Is Still plagued by shaman but at least nerfs are coming. Wild Is Still fun :)

Wild is the real deal!!!

Now that they are printing more stuff to support wild, balancing more frequently (aka Barnes and SN1P-SN4P nerfs), adding the possibility to buy wild packs with gold, etc. I just hope more and more players join us!

Everyone, get in here!!!

• frosthearth's Avatar 610 545 Posts Joined 03/18/2019

Wild is actually pretty okay, they just need to do something about the most prevalent decks in order to give other decks a chance to compete. Previously it was big priest with early swing turns with barnes and when they nerfed him it basically disappeared. Now it's secret mage, whose main problem is that it stops you from playing your removal spells because of counterspell or sticking any minions because of explosive runes, while dealing huge amounts of burst damage to you. The only counter is eater of secrets, which is a really bad card on its own, you need to draw it and it still doesn't provide enough of a swing turn to guarantee you're still in the game. That's just an inherent design flaw on blizzard's part which was bound to come to light and it's only matter of time before they realize it. I just hope they aren't as slow with it as they were with barnes.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium