Knee-jerk reaction to day one ladder (SoU)

• bookends's Avatar 140 34 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Started off at rank 20 and my first 10 opponents were: 7 quest druids, 1 quest warlock, 1 highlander hunter, 1 highlander mage

I'm only playing Whizbang until I get the opportunity to sit down and do some home brew deck building. How does it look for everyone else??

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Lissandra 1610 2021 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I'm one of the aforementioned Quest Druids lel; been using the deck recipe for now. When I'm not playing that I too have used Whizbang...and gotten the Quest Druid again.

I've been running into a disappointing number of Token Druids and other old decks, even in Casual. "I'm gonna take advantage of people experimenting by playing the same stuff I know is good." Sounds like a winning strategy, to be fair, but it's disheartening :(

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• Chimera's Avatar HearthStationeer 685 680 Posts Joined 10/22/2018
    Posted 3 years ago

This data tells me that it was the most anticipated quest for people to try out.

• Snapshot426's Avatar 250 29 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I've only seen one Quest Druid, one Quest Hunter, two tempo Rogues (one with and one without the quest) and last meta decks, Bomb Warriror and Big Shaman. It's mainly been Highlander Mage and Quest Priest that I keep seeing on ladder. 

• Xarkkal's Avatar Servant of Illidan 890 1321 Posts Joined 03/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I've played 5 matches at rank 9 against the same stupid Mech Hunter deck we've been facing for the past 3 months. How can people not want to try out the new cards but instead play the same shit they've been playing all year?

• Enk's Avatar 290 70 Posts Joined 06/04/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

After like 10 matches using Whizbang against a friend of mine, who was trying out the new Quest hunter.

Rogue's Hooked Scimitar is super-duper rad with the pirate package.

Quest Hunter performs really good against a wide board [beat Whizbang's Murloc Shaman 0-3] but struggles against control decks [Big Warrior, Heal Druid]. The Zoo Warlock that I got also beat him once. I think I'm in love with the new Rogue weapon right now.

ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ Please check out my Wild Spider Queen deck! Fanfiction included. Mwuah! ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ

• Lucuma's Avatar 160 28 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Not every player gets the bundle or saves up gold for every expansion guys. Day one decks are not for everyone.

• LyraSilvertongue's Avatar 360 383 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 3 years ago
    Quote From Lucuma

Not every player gets the bundle or saves up gold for every expansion guys. Day one decks are not for everyone.

I can understand players not buying the bundles (I used to be f2p for years before transitioning to a paying customer), but not saving up gold? That's just lazy and on the fault of the players who don't save and/or complete their dailies

• RandomGuy's Avatar 430 614 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I am also one of those Quest Druids. Rank 15 to Rank 5 with a build much like Feno’s. 

With “Dad Legend” accomplished on Day 1, it’s  time to play some other decks.

• Aidan0816's Avatar 90 15 Posts Joined 08/04/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I'm just glad I'm not running into bomb warriors tbh. 

• RandomGuy's Avatar 430 614 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago
    Quote From Aidan0816

I'm just glad I'm not running into bomb warriors tbh. 

I played against quite a few

• NightCrawler's Avatar Lava Coil 305 159 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Climbed from rank 11 to 5 last night and did some spectating at the end

Knee jerk reaction: quest druid seems both super popular and absolutely terrible (or needs refining badly).  I've only lost to it once with terrible draws and the people on my friendlist had a similar experience

• ShotgunSoul's Avatar 240 168 Posts Joined 06/04/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

First game: I was Quest Priest (Dekster's Wall, with a few tweaks -- I subbed a Mass Dispel for the usual 1-mana priest health spell and it did come in handy).

Opponent was a Quest Shaman going nuts with lackeys and dragons, who ran out of fuel -- to Psychopomps who rezzed Zilliax a total of four times (and healed 12 HP for me for the quest), then went all in to a wide board that got Plague of Death'd.

His RNG with lackeys wasn't good; he kept getting the mutate or taunt ones, which allowed me to rebound and win after going down into the teens in health.

• oneru's Avatar 105 13 Posts Joined 07/10/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Got Reno the Relicologist from my first few packs, so decided to craft Zephrys the Great and make a Highlander Mage deck, which is actually a lot of fun. Coming from rank 20 to 17, I've faced some Quest Rogues and Quest Paladins so far, but managed to win most, as they seemed to have trouble finishing their quests. Tweaked my deck a bit to hope for better results, let's see what I'll encounter today.

The first days of an expansion are a lot of fun to me, especially low on the ladder, as there seem to be plenty of people who either don't have the cards/dust to make perfect netdecks, or simply prefer to experiment with their own creations. Usually, that fades pretty fast, so let's enjoy it whiile it's here!

• EndlessTides's Avatar Funnel Cakes 365 232 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

All Quests with the exception of my first game with Quest Druid which was against a Golden Whizbang Bomb Warrior. 

I won.. 😃

Aside from that it really has been people trying all the Quests. Which I love. It won't last sadly as I'm sure within 24 hours there will be a new Meta Deck that destroys all before it.

But right now I'm having a blast.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock... 

• Shivach's Avatar 220 47 Posts Joined 05/30/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I think it's ok that some people keep playing their pre-uldum T1 decks - this makes it easy to see if any of the new decks are good or not. 

• FieselFitz's Avatar Prince Charming 1100 1355 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Well so far the opponents i met are quite diverse ...

Quest Priest, Quest Rogue, Quest Paladin, Highlander Hunter, Highlander Mage, Weapon Warrior, Midrange Hunter, Quest Shaman but so far not One Single Druid ... 

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• AbusingKel's Avatar HearthStationeer 785 290 Posts Joined 02/02/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I've only played 10 games (6-4 with a budget secret hunter) so very limited data. I did see all new decks which was nice, but I also understand not everyone will pre-order (I didn't) and may not have the gold to buy enough packs to build all-new-stuff. 

Quest druid is my pick to be totally busted once it's refined. It's an easy one to finish and turns 5, 6, and 7 are insane with Oasis Surger, Hidden Oasis, Ancient of War

Now you kids are probably saying to yourselves, "Hey Matt, how can we get back on the right track?" 

• TristInTights's Avatar 115 21 Posts Joined 07/17/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Every opponent I've faced has been either Quest Shaman or Conjurer's Mage. I just finished my 5th game in a row against mage and I'm already over it. HoF Mountain Giant.

• NightCrawler's Avatar Lava Coil 305 159 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Looks like both of the new secrets are super OP for the time being.  I'm up to rank 3 now and absolutely no one plays around them

I don't remember this being the case in the past, but it looks like the general playerbase needs time learning how to play around them

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.