Surprisingly bad decks?

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 505 626 Posts Joined 06/11/2019
    Posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Just curious if there are any decks in SoU that you thought were going to be good (or maybe just playable?) before launch that you've experimented with and they were just trash?

I got High Priest Amet so figured i'd give a Boar OTK deck a whirl since it seemed reasonable as a win condition in any otherwise decent Control Priest capacity. Ladies and Gentleman, it is NOT. 2-8 record, and the two wins didn't come from the OTK but just general win against other Control decks. I only got close to the OTK once, but they had two taunts up and I only had oneSilence so no go.

At least I learned my lesson after RR where I crafted a LOT to try and make Dragon Warrior work to no avail so I didn't craft anything on this but still...I get that a 7-card combo isn't the easiest to pull off but dang I didn't think the deck would be THAT bad. 

• Thonson's Avatar HearthStationeer 1350 1341 Posts Joined 03/24/2019

What is the list you are running?  Did you upload it to OoCards?  Or can you share a link?  I wouldn't mind giving it a go to see if it can be improved.  I'm just sitting at Rank 10 trying a bunch of different things right now, so if it sucks it won't bother me rank-wise!

Quick!  Someone give me something clever to write here.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 505 626 Posts Joined 06/11/2019
    Quote From Thonson

What is the list you are running?  Did you upload it to OoCards?  Or can you share a link?  I wouldn't mind giving it a go to see if it can be improved.  I'm just sitting at Rank 10 trying a bunch of different things right now, so if it sucks it won't bother me rank-wise!

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/decks/6497-amet-boar-otk-priest

There you go. If you have thought I'm happy to hear them but the main issue as above was the OTK Combo need so much it's too slow to pull off either for win or loss. 

But yeah this thread wasn't to whine about my bad deck, more to see if anyone else had something fun/good in mind before launch that turned out awful.

• Crow's Avatar 80 8 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

It's no trash by any means, but I'm so far a little bit disappointed with Quest Druid. Yet community is experimenting, combining quest with tokens, OTK Malygos and other stuff, so some kind of Quest Druid will probably find decent spot in the meta.

• Thonson's Avatar HearthStationeer 1350 1341 Posts Joined 03/24/2019
    Quote From ArngrimUndying
    Quote From Thonson

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/decks/6497-amet-boar-otk-priest

There you go. If you have thought I'm happy to hear them but the main issue as above was the OTK Combo need so much it's too slow to pull off either for win or loss. 

But yeah this thread wasn't to whine about my bad deck, more to see if anyone else had something fun/good in mind before launch that turned out awful.

Honestly, with this expansion coming out I think my main thought was on the quests and which quests could be viable.  I didn't think much about other decks outside of those or Highlander decks.  I felt like Quest Priest was going to be really strong, but haven't seen many people playing it, and also don't have it to try it out myself.

I have seen a few lists for Boar OTK that use it as a way to try and survive, I guess?  I was thinking after seeing this post that the best approach might be to try and stick Amet on board and make it a two turn kill so you can use Mass Dispel for taunts.  But if your opponent has a brain and figures out what you're planning they'll likely just kill him immediately, or at least damage him.  Perhaps with Amet and some Reborn taunts he can stick seeing as the Reborn minions would go to 7 health when they summon instead of 1.  Then if Amet took damage use Circle before Dispel and Boar combo.

While I was waiting on your response I started playing around in Wild with Amet and Boars, but eventually swapped Boars for a Dragon package.  I also added a Void Ripper since the deck is now more about winning the early and mid game, get some high health minions on board, then Dispel and stat swap for a nice, quick burst.  Can still win the old fashioned way of Spirit x 2 > Inner Fire.  Don't have a Confuse but I may craft one if the deck seems good without it, just to have an extra stat swap card, and one I can find with Shadow Visions

Thanks for the inspiration at least!  If I play around with Boar OTK I'll let you know what I find. 

Quick!  Someone give me something clever to write here.

• DoubleSummon's Avatar Ancestral Recall 1580 2269 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

you could pull off the same thing with Stormwind Knight since classic and it's never really a combo people play in their deck not even with Shadow Visions

so.. yeah that combo is just MEH it's a combo but it's just too much set up for little consistency.

• SamHobbs494's Avatar Scrambled Eggs 385 245 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

Just got shat on by the luckiest fucking quest priest ever. Turn 5 he completed his quest.

When I try it, "Nope, fuck you. Have shite draws and face super aggro for 10 games in a row"

Fucking beyond inscenced right now. I literally want to punch that lucky fucking cunt straight in his dumb ass face

• iWatchUSleep's Avatar 860 772 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From SamHobbs494

Just got shat on by the luckiest fucking quest priest ever. Turn 5 he completed his quest.

When I try it, "Nope, fuck you. Have shite draws and face super aggro for 10 games in a row"

Fucking beyond inscenced right now. I literally want to punch that lucky fucking cunt straight in his dumb ass face

OP said "surprisingly bad decks", not "salt thread"...

I'd agree on quest druid and would like to add quest rogue as well. These two quests seemed like the stronger ones but so far haven't exactly been doing well.

Quote From SamHobbs494

That's nuts to complete the quest that fast.

But yeah from what I've seen/played Quest Priest is very much that you either totally dominate or get blown out of the water - very little "middle ground" as it were. But it does seem to be playable so I think generally in line with a lot of people's expectations - not broken/horrible, but not really consistent either. Maybe I should re-title this thread "Priest is meme-tier" lol?

Still though - with all the new-meta experimentation going on, I have to believe there's more "this'll be great" theorycraft out there that's blown up in people's faces? 

Quote From iWatchUSleep
    Quote From SamHobbs494

OP said "surprisingly bad decks", not "salt thread"...

I'd agree on quest druid and would like to add quest rogue as well. These two quests seemed like the stronger ones but so far haven't exactly been doing well.

I've done okay with Quest Rogue - though definitely had a good laugh when I lost to Quest Warrior of all things. But yeah I was *this close* to crafting Druid Quest but the times I played against it I won most of them with Quest Rogue/Shaman/Paladin unless I just drew for shit - so glad I held off on spending dust. So add that one to the pile!

• Sykomyke's Avatar Supporter 580 691 Posts Joined 05/30/2019
    Quote From SamHobbs494

Posts like these should be in the salty thread, not this thread

• SamHobbs494's Avatar Scrambled Eggs 385 245 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

I know guys, I didn't mean to be so salty here. Was the first time I even saw the quest and that happened. 

Op I am glad you took the correct message from that post 😂. It is literally a steamroll or a get rekt deck with no inbetween.

• duppie's Avatar HearthStationeer 320 240 Posts Joined 04/02/2019

Combo priest is pretty strong right now, high priest amet is pretty insane.  

It's just better to play for tempo and stick something for the combo than try to OTK from hand which is super super slow and not proactive.  

I thought quest shaman would be a lot stronger than it is.  It's pretty good but I thought it would be a tier 1 deck.  

• sto650's Avatar Santa Braum 570 565 Posts Joined 03/30/2019
    Quote From SamHobbs494

I know guys, I didn't mean to be so salty here. Was the first time I even saw the quest and that happened. 

Op I am glad you took the correct message from that post 😂. It is literally a steamroll or a get rekt deck with no inbetween.

I've played a fair bit of quest priest. It depends on how you build the deck. Completing the quest on turn 5 is not that insane; just look at how much healing is in some of the lists. Sure, it seems insanely lucky when it happens for your opponent, but it's objectively not as insane as, say, quest rogue finishing theirs on turn 3 (when they did the quest turn 1). 

Also, I've had some long games that went back and forth, gotten blown out sometimes, and done the blowing out sometimes. But the bottom line is that it can be built a lot of different ways. Just because the version you've been playing is very slow at completing the quest, that does not mean every version is slow.

• Ballsdeeper's Avatar 205 95 Posts Joined 06/07/2019

finley deck doesnt seem great right now.

• MisterKnott's Avatar 285 83 Posts Joined 06/04/2019
    Quote From SamHobbs494

Not to continue derailing this thread further but, I mean, if he can heal that much through 5 turns.... isn’t that sort of on you? He played the quest so you know what his goal is. The early counter is to not make plays that produce damage without removing targets from the board entirely. Instead conserve resources to make a more concerted push. Priest is the only quest that — with the exception of Wild Pyromancer combos — is utterly reactionary.

ANYWAY... back on topic, given all the fuss, I’ve found Deathrattle/Mechathuun Rogue to be surprisingly inert this expansion. The combo is still technically easy to execute. It’s just that I’ve typically already won by the time it would be viable.

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1735 2904 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I thought Quest Druid was going to be very powerful, but so far it has just been mediocre at best. it is way to matchup dependant to be a reliable way to climb. 

Carrion, my wayward grub.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Refreshment Vendor 865 1487 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

So far, my expectations on some decks have been failed, but not brutally. Yet.

QRogue and Blood/Lackey Warlock are a bit more inconsistent than i thought, but fair enough.

And about QDruid in particular, i was right when i first saw it and thought: i'm basically asked to waste Tempo for 5 turns in order to regain Tempo later? Pointless!

The effect is still cool, but yeah, unless you use it for some Combo support, Control Druid lacks the tools to go in the long game, and if token is the plan, it's better to do it from the beginning.

• Sol's Avatar 290 107 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I got absolutely destroyed by a Quest Priest running a resurrect package with only 6 minions the other day.

(Edit: 2 copies of 5 Minions + plus Amet so 11 minions actually lmao)

And I agree with the others, Quest Druid isn't as good as I thought. A lot of decks develop a dangerous board so early on that you won't be able to keep up with it trying to complete the quest.

Well it's over

• sto650's Avatar Santa Braum 570 565 Posts Joined 03/30/2019

Quest priest was surprisingly bad in the early days, but I think good lists are being figured out, so it's going to be a viable deck going forward, in some form.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium