Hunter and Warrior Quests are Total Nerf Targets

United in Stormwind
    Devoted Outlander 880 1345 Posts Joined 03/21/2019
    Posted 9 months, 1 week ago
    Quote From Hydrafrog

Do you have a link for the deck?

I'm using a hybrid version that has both Quest and Deathrattle package.

First version that I wrote 5 wins against Quest mage had more deathrattles without SI:7 Package but I had to change it into this because of other decks that has more taunts and big minions.

SI:7 Infiltrator is like a must have against Mage for Quest Rogue and I guess it will stay as long as Mage's hold those secrets. Really helps so much.

Gul'dan 1725 2993 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From aposteljoe
    Quote From Hydrafrog

So I cracked all my new United in Stormwind packs that I was able to amass from the gold I've been saving over the past month and crafted a few of the decks for the quests and I gotta say this... Hunter and Warrior are not only ridiculously easy to do, but probably NEED to be nerfed.

I took the garden variety Dwarven Defense deck for Hunter with no changes and just ROFL stomped every single player I came across.  This works even more viciously in Wild with Baku.  I was able to accomplish it as soon as turn 6 and just destroy my opponent. 

The Warrior quest was nearly almost as easy to complete.  Once The Juggernaut hits the board, it's kinda GG for your opponent.  I didn't even try to make a competitive deck, I just threw in some Pirates and Coerce into a deck and destroyed my opponents.  

I've tried the Druid quest and it was lack luster to say the least but that was expected in the card reveal.  I got 2-4 of the other quests that I need to try as well, but honestly, I was shocked at how easy it was to just beat your opponent with the quest rewards of those two so far, so even though the Hunter quest is the ONE thing that has got me liking that class finally after the passed 7 years of playing this game, it really needs to be nerfed as it is waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy to complete.  Thoughts on this and your experiences so far?

Are you still that opinion, OP? 

I just went head on with Odd Hunter in Wild and they used [Hearthstone Card (Auctioneer Beardo) Not Found] until they finished the quest... and yeah.  2 damaging spells per level is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY easy to do.

Then with Warrior, I seriously have not seen it under perform.  In standard, I can get it triggered within the first 6 turns.  In wild, I usually have Rokara in hand before I have enough mana to play her.  And as long as I can do what I can to control the board, The Juggernaut does the work for me. 

480 866 Posts Joined 07/14/2019

I've been playing a lot of the warrior quest since I have gotten it in golden. I have no idea what you are talking about- if anything, it needs to be buffed! 

The payoff is often slightly better than [Hearthstone Card (lakarri sacrifice) Not Found] putting on board a 2/2, giving you a 1 attack weapon and dealing 4 damage randomly.

There is no clever way to cheat out pirates like the requirements of other quests have. Another issue is you want to run weapons since the first reward is to draw one, however once you have the Jugg in effect the weapon is more or less a dead card in hand (Gorehowl is an exception but not a great card).

Almost every game with QL Warrior is playing catch-up. It's so bad that often when you finally get Rokara you can't even play her because you need to address the board.

HS Needs Mirror Mode: Make Any Deck, 50% You Play it Versus Itself or Play Someone Else's Vs Theirs.

Please Help Support This Obvious and Needed Idea. Stop Playing With 1% of your Collection.

Ice Rager 835 630 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Ladder seems to be a bit better now. I've been playing a lot of Quest Warrior (a high-tempo version) and it's killing it. It's not really an aggro deck but a faster midrange one, and it beats the Quest Warlocks and Quest Mages pretty consistently. Raid the Docks still doesn't warrant a nerf though, contrary to the OP's point.

There are a wide variety of decks being played, and that makes this meta a little more fun. Some Elemental Shamans (Whack-A-Gnoll Hammer and Doomhammer variants), Quest Shaman, Aggro Shadow Priest(!), Quest Paladins, Quest Rogues...it's pretty nice! I even tried a Big Warrior list and it's working well too. 

The devs might still nerf some Warlock cards to save Wild, if they actually care about that mode. But from my ladder experience, the meta's looking pretty balanced. 

1065 809 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Right, so what have we, once again, learned about these extremely premature nerf takes everyone?

Questline hunter is one of the most overrated decks in standard, aka gigabad and warrior is barely playable. Vastly overshadowed by other quests such as mage (overplayed), warlock (quest nerf candidate #1) and rogue (quest nerf candidate #2).

Prince Charming 1035 1261 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Live4vrRdieTryn

I've been playing a lot of the warrior quest since I have gotten it in golden. I have no idea what you are talking about- if anything, it needs to be buffed! 

The payoff is often slightly better than [Hearthstone Card (lakarri sacrifice) Not Found] putting on board a 2/2, giving you a 1 attack weapon and dealing 4 damage randomly.

There is no clever way to cheat out pirates like the requirements of other quests have. Another issue is you want to run weapons since the first reward is to draw one, however once you have the Jugg in effect the weapon is more or less a dead card in hand (Gorehowl is an exception but not a great card).

Almost every game with QL Warrior is playing catch-up. It's so bad that often when you finally get Rokara you can't even play her because you need to address the board.

I agree - it was pretty cool on day one but right now it is mostly to slow - even if you get the nut draw and have the Juggernaut early on - most of the time he comes down to late and even if it is early on the impact is most of the time not enough - at least right now! So i would agree to buff this Quest not only because i kinda like it because it realy isn't that powerful against the most played decks right now. 

Hunter i would say isn't weak - sure not as strong as anticipated but still playable and strong enough to compete against others. 

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

325 313 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From Live4vrRdieTryn

That is a gross misrepresentation of what the quest actually does. You're taking like 25 % of the questline and comparing that in isolation to Lakkari Sacrifice.

First off, the requirements. Lakkari Sacrifice requires you to tear your own hand to shreds. Sure, there are cards that give you a payoff for doing so. And there are a lot of cards that don't. You're at the mercy of RNG as to which ones you end up discarding to determine whether you're actively two-for-oneing yourself or getting an advantage. Meanwhile, the Warrior Quest requires you to develop your board, something you already want to be doing. I.e. there is essentially no requirement other than you have to play a Pirate deck.

Secondly, the payoff. Lakkari Sacrifice: pay 5 mana to subtract one slot from your board. You then get two 3/2s every turn. It's a massive tempo loss that brings a steady benefit in the long run...assuming we consider two easy-to-kill minions a benefit. You can easily just lose the board to a control deck since those are stuffed with minor AoE that will just wipe your quest reward every turn, while they build a board of their own. The Warrior Quest: draw a weapon for free, deal 2x2 damage for free, then get a 7/7 for 5 mana that subtracts one board slot to get you a weapon (inevitable damage), a pirate (potential damage similar to Lakkari Sacrifice) and shoots 2x2 damage (inevitable damage) every turn. Those things are not on par with each other at all.

Even ignoring the sub-rewards along the way the Warrior Questline way outshines Lakkari Sacrifice and not just because you get a 5 mana 7/7 along with it. You can't keep the Warrior Questline contained because the reward isn't two slow minions that might do something next turn. It's one slow minion and then two immediately impactful rewards that the opponent can do nothing about. Also the rewards trigger at the start of your turn so if the minion happens to have rush or charge, your opponent has no opportunity to respond to its presence.

The questline is definitely not in need of a buff. It may be the case that in standard, the deck you have to build around the questline may not be great, but that might be due to a lack of support, not due to flaws with the questline. I wouldn't know, since I don't play standard. But I can tell you that in Wild the questline is doing quite well. It's not the top dog, but at least a solid tier 2 deck that seems to be actually better than the non-quest Pirate Warriors used to be, or is at least on par with them. That's not something you'd get out of a weak questline.

Skeleton 1865 3962 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From iWatchUSleep

Right, so what have we, once again, learned about these extremely premature nerf takes everyone?

Questline hunter is one of the most overrated decks in standard, aka gigabad and warrior is barely playable. Vastly overshadowed by other quests such as mage (overplayed), warlock (quest nerf candidate #1) and rogue (quest nerf candidate #2).

Very ironic that you would call out others for premature nerf takes when Rogue and Warlock aren't even that powerful either, especially compared to what Mage is still doing.

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

Quote From Tetsuo

Ladder seems to be a bit better now. I've been playing a lot of Quest Warrior (a high-tempo version) and it's killing it. It's not really an aggro deck but a faster midrange one, and it beats the Quest Warlocks and Quest Mages pretty consistently. Raid the Docks still doesn't warrant a nerf though, contrary to the OP's point.

There are a wide variety of decks being played, and that makes this meta a little more fun. Some Elemental Shamans (Whack-A-Gnoll Hammer and Doomhammer variants), Quest Shaman, Aggro Shadow Priest(!), Quest Paladins, Quest Rogues...it's pretty nice! I even tried a Big Warrior list and it's working well too. 

The devs might still nerf some Warlock cards to save Wild, if they actually care about that mode. But from my ladder experience, the meta's looking pretty balanced. 

Raid the Docks is straight up consistent.  I've not had many issues with it sucking I'll say that.  Against many of the other decks out there, it provides longevity with taunt pirates a Ship's Cannon effect in the long haul, and continual board presence.   Do I still think it needs a nerf, not necessarily given that the meta is far from evening out, but it certainly maintains a top deck in my plays  

Ghost 380 57 Posts Joined 06/22/2019

Speaking as someone who mainlines Mage (in standard), I can see the calls for nerfs to Incanter's Flow, but, to be honest, dropping it early doesn't win as many games as you might think. Its real payoff is in the late game when you can draw a helluva lot of cards off of Cram Session. Nerf it to 3 mana, or even 4, and it'll still pay those late game dividends, and might even fit nicely with mid-game Arcane spell curve. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see it nerfed because this is the first time in forever I've felt like mage was competitive.

The only times that Incanter's Flow seems to make or break the game is in the mirror match. But in that case it's also who can drop a Primordial Studies followed by Brain Freeze fastest.

Nobody:

Me: Why yes, that is a medieval drawing of a cat licking its own butt 

Ice Rager 835 630 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Quote From Hydrafrog
    Quote From Tetsuo

Raid the Docks is straight up consistent.  I've not had many issues with it sucking I'll say that.  Against many of the other decks out there, it provides longevity with taunt pirates a Ship's Cannon effect in the long haul, and continual board presence.   Do I still think it needs a nerf, not necessarily given that the meta is far from evening out, but it certainly maintains a top deck in my plays  

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You mentioned in your OP that it'll need a nerf, I'm saying it won't because it's simply a solid and fun card whose infinite value in the end game isn't that oppressive. 

I saw Roffle play this Odd Quest Warrior deck, which looks incredibly fun. Just tank up, then play Brann Bronzebeard + Cap'n Rokara to get two Juggernauts. Definitely gonna try that out. 

OP here, and I am still holding fast that Raid the Docks may need to be looked at for the Wild element.  Much like Stealer of Souls created an environment that was not only flooded with Warlock builds, but made them really dominant.  I would be hesitant to say that I have an encounter rate of 3-5 opponents that are playing pirate warrior with that card.  

Yes, it does require you to set up your board and maintain it.  Yes it plays differently than previous versions of Pirate Warrior.  Yes it is still dominating.  The one saving grace against Pirate Warrior was that you eventually ran out of gas.  With The Juggernaut, you are ensured 2x2 damage every turn, a random pirate on the board, and some kind of hero swing on top of what you draw and play that turn. 

I've been able to once in a while control my way out of it or out aggro them.  Suffice it to say that it is still really dominating.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.