30 Cards or 60 Cards?

• AliRadicali's Avatar 460 713 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 2 years, 10 months ago
    Quote From Crusader2010

Speaking of game modes, i think the starting health of the heroes should be higher, not necessarily the number of cards in the deck. Or maybe a combination of the two. Having 60 starting health seems better than the 30 from now; double the fatigue damage too.

I know this can completely prevent aggro decks from working, but i'm tired of seeing them each and every expansion. There will likely be a new archetype to replace it. Also, don't mention the possibility of never running out of cards or gaining infinite armor - this is what the team of morons is choosing to bring into the game. They basically gimp their own design space with powercreeps and such.

If you double the standard health pool, it won't kill aggro, it'll just drastically alter what it means to be aggro. These new aggro decks wouldn't kill you by turn four and they wouldn't run as many 1-drops, but fundamentally they'd still try to punch you until you die in as few turns as possible. Control decks would become insanely greedy to balance the need to defend against these midrange "aggro" decks and still generate enough value to beat other control decks, and infinite damage combo decks would have a field day if present in the format.

A new balance of archetypes will always emerge and you might like it even less. Something something life finds a way.

• DoubleSummon's Avatar Ancestral Recall 1580 2271 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Tavern brawl yes, permanent mode no. Would say 40 cards decks it would be more interesting. 

• LyraSilvertongue's Avatar 360 383 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Quote From AliRadicali
    Quote From Crusader2010

Speaking of game modes, i think the starting health of the heroes should be higher, not necessarily the number of cards in the deck. Or maybe a combination of the two. Having 60 starting health seems better than the 30 from now; double the fatigue damage too.

I know this can completely prevent aggro decks from working, but i'm tired of seeing them each and every expansion. There will likely be a new archetype to replace it. Also, don't mention the possibility of never running out of cards or gaining infinite armor - this is what the team of morons is choosing to bring into the game. They basically gimp their own design space with powercreeps and such.

If you double the standard health pool, it won't kill aggro, it'll just drastically alter what it means to be aggro. These new aggro decks wouldn't kill you by turn four and they wouldn't run as many 1-drops, but fundamentally they'd still try to punch you until you die in as few turns as possible. Control decks would become insanely greedy to balance the need to defend against these midrange "aggro" decks and still generate enough value to beat other control decks, and infinite damage combo decks would have a field day if present in the format.

A new balance of archetypes will always emerge and you might like it even less. Something something life finds a way.

If the average aggro deck had the staying power of wild Odd Pally I'd agree mostly, but the problem with most classes that have the option of going aggro or midrange is that top notch control decks could eventually run more midrangy aggro decks out of resources without some form of pressure engine (ie dude spawning machine, multiple 4/3s to wack your opponent with, murlocs spawning themselves repeatedly, etc). I'd see many hypothetical new age aggro decks to look more like a midrange version of zoo in the sense that if you can survive turns 5-9ish then you pretty much beat them 9/10 when they're in top deck mode.

• AliRadicali's Avatar 460 713 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Quote From LyraSilvertongue

If the average aggro deck had the staying power of wild Odd Pally I'd agree mostly, but the problem with most classes that have the option of going aggro or midrange is that top notch control decks could eventually run more midrangy aggro decks out of resources without some form of pressure engine (ie dude spawning machine, multiple 4/3s to wack your opponent with, murlocs spawning themselves repeatedly, etc). I'd see many hypothetical new age aggro decks to look more like a midrange version of zoo in the sense that if you can survive turns 5-9ish then you pretty much beat them 9/10 when they're in top deck mode.

Quest Shaman, shark Rogue and quest Paladin are all fairly aggressive decks that exist today with more or less infinite resources if they play the value game. I'm sure if 60 life HS were a format other decks would emerge in a similar role, EG the Paladin loa was too slow for standard but might work in a slower format that cares more about resources. Conjurer mage might be great in that format too, despite the nerf.

Of the three prime archetypes I think combo is the only one that can truly be killed, and that only by gutting the card pool of cards that interact with each other, reducing the game to essentially basic cards. Aggro and control will always be present in some capacity, because ultimately these are just relative terms for whichever deck has an early advantage versus lategame inevitability.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.