Renounce Warlock?

• GameTheory345's Avatar Island 470 386 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 years, 10 months ago
    Quote From clawz161

The problem you're having if you took a deck that you ALREADY KNEW was a RNG meme, and expected to enjoy playing it when you don't enjoy playing the game that way. I don't understand the reason for the thread tbh. Literally pikachu face meme, "I can't believe the random cards are bad" :O

This is exactly my point. If you're playing a meme deck and your goal is to win, you're not going to have fun. Playing an RNG meme deck is fun because of all the stupid stuff that can happen from playing it, not because you can win.

???

• AliRadicali's Avatar 460 713 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Quote From GameTheory345
    Quote From clawz161

The problem you're having if you took a deck that you ALREADY KNEW was a RNG meme, and expected to enjoy playing it when you don't enjoy playing the game that way. I don't understand the reason for the thread tbh. Literally pikachu face meme, "I can't believe the random cards are bad" :O

This is exactly my point. If you're playing a meme deck and your goal is to win, you're not going to have fun. Playing an RNG meme deck is fun because of all the stupid stuff that can happen from playing it, not because you can win.

Being a fun wacky deck with lots of randomly generated cards isn't synonymous with being a bad deck. Burgle rogue, cyclone mage and quest shaman are or have been top competitive decks that rely *heavily* on randomness, discover effects etc.

If you want to define "meme" as "unplayably bad" only to argue that unplayably bad decks are unplayably bad and people who enjoy winning should steer clear of "memes", congratulations on the tautology but you're clarifying exactly nothing there. Find me the people who are clamouring for a "fun" losing experience and I might take this argument a bit more seriously.

• Iplaywhite's Avatar Academy Sleuth 405 143 Posts Joined 06/10/2019

It was bad "back in the day" and even worse now regretfully...they could update it to cards cost "2 less" to play and it still wouldn't be playable because deckbuilding requires synergies, end of.

Even if you enjoy playing pure meme decks, presumably you throw synergy in your deckbuilding.

"Soon we must all make the choice between what is right and what is easy"

• YJHS2000's Avatar Uther 300 119 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From ArngrimUndying

AH! I did not know about the Barnes/Y'Shaarj thing - so that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up!

I love a good RNG meme deck as much as the next guy (Burgle Rogue/Thief Priest are some of my favorite decks), but this was just too much - Renounce give you either a fantastically synergistic deck that allows for a steamroll (very rare) or you get a bunch of disjointed junk that gets you bodied (mostly this). I'll probably still kick it around between now and December, but man were my expectations way out off base with this one! 

Yep. I played this deck a bunch when it was new. It was fun, and had a respectable (not great) win rate, but most of my wins came via Barnes>Y'shaarj. Similar to the spell hunter that was around at that time. I said in another thread that I was really puzzled Blizzard chose this card for the event because it is really not good and Warlock is already in a bad spot. Either Blizzard is clueless or there is some Renounce unicorn deck nobody has discovered yet.

Communism is just a red herring

• Synesthesy's Avatar 240 142 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From Shosupply

Not to be off topic but what is your thumbnail a picture of @Synesthesy?  Reminds me of this D&D stick only comic.  Cant remember the name of it though.

The Order of the Stick. My avatar is a stereotipical Italian cleric of the FSM, courtesy of a image creator on that site.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Draconically Dedicated 510 626 Posts Joined 06/11/2019
    Quote From clawz161

Did you read my original post or any of the followup posts? If so, I can't fathom how this was your take-away.

I specifically mentioned in my OP that I had a vague recollection of people talking about this deck being good since - as stated - I joined HS after it was already out of Standard and the point of the post was asking for clarification on if/why it was ever good (which was answered) since my experience was fairly bad. And in the follow-up posts I clarified that I ENJOY meme RNG decks that at least have some viability (Thief Priest/Burgle Rogue).

• Shosupply's Avatar Soulgorger 740 215 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 2 years, 9 months ago
    Quote From Synesthesy
    Quote From Shosupply

Not to be off topic but what is your thumbnail a picture of @Synesthesy?  Reminds me of this D&D stick only comic.  Cant remember the name of it though.

The Order of the Stick. My avatar is a stereotipical Italian cleric of the FSM, courtesy of a image creator on that site.

Thanks for responding!  That's the name of it lol.

O, that this too too solid flesh would melt
    Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.