What do you think Casual is Supposed to be?

• PopeNeia's Avatar 145 120 Posts Joined 07/06/2019
    Posted 5 days, 8 hours ago

Casual is just a cesspool of Quest Druids that I have to exterminate. 

Apart from that, I like to test out my decks in casual, so yeah.

Anti Revive Priest and Quest Druid deck, Suprisingly good: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/decks/8292-unlimited-power

• YJHS2000's Avatar Uther 245 100 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 5 days, 6 hours ago

I don't understand why people are too cowardly to "test" netdecks on ladder. You have nothing to lose at tiers 5, 10 and 15. Get to one of those tiers and play whatever you want. Leave casual to people who are playing casually.

Communism is just a red herring

• AngryShuckie's Avatar 240 72 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 5 days, 6 hours ago

What it is meant to be is exactly what it is: a constructed game mode with its MMR hidden to remove the sense of pressure you might feel to win in ranked.

What I would like it to be is essentially what rank 15 is: a place with no cost to losing and where a large fraction of players are reasonably competent but not interested in ranking up, leading to a diverse array of decks both inside and outside the meta. You could say the same for rank 10 too, but as soon as you 'accidentally' get into rank 9 you can forget about encountering anything interesting, while ranks 14 and 13 are still fairly well populated with home brew decks.

What I would really like it to be is a place where everyone goes to successfully escape meta decks and, understanding that is why everyone else is there, they spread the joy by bringing their own non-meta deck. Such a game mode is a beautiful dream, but not one I am naive or optimistic enough to seriously hope for.

• DestroyerR's Avatar 110 58 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 4 days, 9 hours ago
    Quote From ArngrimUndying

My suggestion (that I know will never happen but I can dream) to "solve" the disparity in Casual:

3 Modes - Ranked, Casual, and idk EXTRA Casual

• Ranked is the normal ladder as it exists now, EXCEPT you get 10g for 2 wins (so 2 "megacrowns" = 10g)
    • Casual is exactly like it is now with the same 3 "normal" crowns = 10g 
    • EXTRA Casual gives no gold rewards at all

That way people who are in it for the gold will stay on the ladder since the rewards would be better. People who want to play T2/T3 decks, practice, tweak "real" decks have Casual as a testing ground to do so while also getting "something" for winning. And people who want to try their ridiculous "Hey can I summon 7 Highkeeper Ras at once?!" decks without getting bodied in 6 turns have a place to do that as well since nobody would play EXTRA Casual with anything other than a fun, goofy deck.

Since the above will never happen: I've said this in other threads, but for me this is a game, meant to be fun. Yes it's competitive, but I really don't get the mentality where people don't seem to comprehend there is someone else on the other side of that screen who is maybe not playing this to be the very best (like no one ever was! Da dahn da dah!) but is instead playing to have fun. So when you're "testing" or "practicing" decks that are proven Tier 1s in Casual and you run into someone playing Silence Priest or Beast Druid, maybe you should be the nicer/bigger person, concede to them, and move on. You aren't gaining any experience or whatever since this is a deck you'll never see on the ladder, and then you can go find another opponent that will actually provide you the option to improve if that's what you're really after. 

That applies to the memer too, though. In fact, it stands to reason that the person who has a problem with playing that specific match (AKA the memer) would concede and move on. 

Obviously the best solution would be the “extra casual” solution, but as you said, that’s not going to happen.

When you stop to think about it, Reno Jackson’s effect doesn’t make a lot of sense thematically. Why would “getting rich” heal your hero to full? It’s almost like that effect is saying that Reno is connected to other cards with that effect... like, oh I don’t know, NOZARI THE BRONZE DRAGON? Reno = Bronze Dragon 100% confirmed

• craigrs84's Avatar 55 10 Posts Joined 07/14/2019
    Posted 4 days, 4 hours ago

You cant change it so why whine/debate about it?  No one is going to read this thread and feel guilty about playing a tier 1 deck in casual, and you're only reaching a minority of hearthstone players on these forums anyways.  So this conversation will have about zero impact.

People will do what they want to do ;)

Sort of the same thing as complaining about netdecking in general.

• KANSAS's Avatar Wall 545 779 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 days, 23 hours ago
    Quote From craigrs84

You cant change it so why whine/debate about it?  No one is going to read this thread and feel guilty about playing a tier 1 deck in casual, and you're only reaching a minority of hearthstone players on these forums anyways.  So this conversation will have about zero impact.

Not all discussions have to be for the sake of change. Sometimes it is nice to have discussion for the sake of discussion :)

• AliRadicali's Avatar 320 516 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 3 days, 22 hours ago
    Quote From craigrs84

This is a monumentally dumb argument to make when pressure from the community has resulted in balance and gameplay changes in the past, the most unanimous being the premature rotation of Genn and Baku. While you can't pinpoint that decision to any one complaint or discussion thread, it's asinine to pretend that the cumulative effect of tweets, discussion threads, youtube commentary videos and other forms of feedback didn't influence the decision.

This type of argument from apathy is hardly ever a good argument to make, because it concedes the main point that there is a problem, only to argue that the problem can't be solved and therefore should be ignored. But it's an especially bad argument to make when several counterexamples exist to prove that it's possible to address the problem. Just the other day one of the devs commented on a possible future Mogu Fleshshaper nerf: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/459-mogu-fleshshaper-may-be-too-powerful. Guess what? We had a thread over here discussing Mogu where people were making this same defeatist non-argument.

If you genuinely think words on the internet cannot influence others, why are you putting words on the internet urging others to change their behaviour? Do you not see the contradiction there?

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.