DoD First Impressions Thread

Descent of Dragons
    Skeleton 1915 4037 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Titles says it all, share your first impressions with the decks you got.

I tried Treant Druid. It honestly looks incredibly solid, although not insane. The main problem is still card draw but Aeroponics is a good foundation. Currently trying Cult Master, but maybe Overflow is the way to go. Goru is actually just great, he does so much for your lategame pressure. Also a deck for Keeper Stalladris finally.

Galakrond Priest seems....weird. The lack of card draw makes running any combos kind of moot (although I still think going Wretched Reclaimer + Grave Rune with the added discount from Fate Weaver is the best idea). The Hero power is just pretty crazy late game as it turns you into basically Deathstalker Rexxar except your deck is loaded with removal. Healing is a bit of an issue, but Sandhoof Waterbearers or Khartut could help (with the aforementioned Wretched Reclaimer and Grave Rune combo)

Sad to say Desert Obelisk is not an unbeatable win conditions, you all must be heartbroken.

Galakrond Warrior is really weird. I treid going control with big taunts, which isn't bad, but the Galakrond turn itself is impossibly slow. He's practically unplayable before fully upgrading because you need the claw to at least get some kind of tempo. If you do play him and live however, he's crazy good. Most decks can't deal with 7/10 Tomb Wardens or even just a 5/6 Eternium Rover. Maybe going tempo galakrond is better and just try to get some chargers from the battlecry to finish your opponent next turn.

Played against one Pirate Warrior, thought I beat him, but the weapon spam (and my lack of non-face removal) eventually got me killed. Still not convinced about that deck, it seems incredibly draw dependant and if you don't get a crazy Skybarge turn you basically rely on being able to sm0rc your opponent down with weapons and Leeroy.

Anyways, share your stories so we can all get a better picture of what'S going on out there.

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

Draconically Dedicated 510 626 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

I tried my goofy meme Transmogrifier + Plot Twist Warlock deck and - hold onto your hats - a handful of random, unrelated Legendaries is not in fact actually good. The "combo" isn't all that hard to pull off though and definitely faster than just using Arch-Villain Rafaam

Galakrond Rogue has been okay - I've had some tough matches with really bad draws so a little early to really say. the ability to get multiple uses from Kronx Dragonhoof with all the bounce/double battlecry stuff in Rogue is definitely a strong play.

Dragon Paladin (Highlander or otherwise) is, as many expected, incredibly strong. 

Devoted Outlander 880 1345 Posts Joined 03/21/2019

I could only construct a Galakrond Rogue for now; It seems promising but need to say that I had some issues with drawing/generating. My hand overflowed almost in every game and Couldn't use Galakrond correctly to get those 0 cost cards because of my huge handsize. Lackeys are everywhere and generates so much cards. why i don't know but I couldn't get kobold titanic or the other that evolves. I only get generators. Damn we were so crowded. It needs some tweaking tho.

and I almost got my paladin collection full, will try it next, played a game only with I could draw Nozdormu and its impact was huge, after dropping it on turn 4 I finished a highlander mage in next turn. Probably I was so lucky and It will be bad in time because everyone will learn to use Dragonmaw Poacher.

1690 1855 Posts Joined 03/13/2019

First try was a very greedy Waxadred Galakrond Rogue which is not very good (surprise!). It's veh hard to figure out the correct amount of draw and removal.

Second I tried Pirate Warrior which looks very strong. Very good win rate from rank 10 to 8. Then got destroyed by a Quest Galakrond Shaman. Only encounter so far, but this looks completely broken. Gonna try that next tomorrow. 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Servant of Illidan 890 1321 Posts Joined 03/29/2019

So far, I've only had a chance to play 5 games of Quest Galakrond Shaman. I'll copy over my first thoughts from the guide.

Quest to Unleash the Tempest

Faceless Corruptor is broken (save you extra copies of this one lads. This card is going to get nerfed. 10/8 in stats on T5 is ridiculous. If your opponent leaves a single minion on the board for you on T4, the game is over)

Dragonmaw Poacher is going to make this a Big Game Hunter meta

Nithogg is probably going to receive the axe very quickly. If the eggs hatched normally as well if broken by the opponent, it would be good. But I played him in both my games (with double battlecry) and not a single egg hatched. UPDATE: I finally had eggs hatch, and it was game ending. If your opponent can't clear the eggs, you basically win. Plus he is a good Mutate target.

If possible, try turn into Galakrond BEFORE completing Corrupt the Waters. Double Battlecry is a much more powerful HP to have. Even games that I have drawn him, I didn't use him. Invoking Galakrond is an amazing way to maintain board control. 

Dragon's Pack is very powerful, but so far, I think it's good at running only 1 copy.

Mutate continues to be problematic. There are more good targets for it now too. Try and hit: Mogu Fleshshaper (obviously), Nithogg or Corrupt Elementalist

Rexxar 470 231 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

I haven't hit ladder but my buddies have and they all say the same thing: quest Galakrond shaman is game-breakingly OP.

I'm hoping that opinion changes by the time I get to play later tonight.

Rage quitting: the best way to ensure your opponent knows they beat a giant baby.

205 95 Posts Joined 06/07/2019

Too much dragonbane!

Scrambled Eggs 385 245 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

Waxadred rouge is great, no need for lackeys or some super dragon. Card draw the same as rouges always do and always mulligan for him and togwaggles scheme

Skeleton 1915 4037 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From ArngrimUndying

I tried my goofy meme Transmogrifier + Plot Twist Warlock deck and - hold onto your hats - a handful of random, unrelated Legendaries is not in fact actually good. The "combo" isn't all that hard to pull off though and definitely faster than just using Arch-Villain Rafaam

Galakrond Rogue has been okay - I've had some tough matches with really bad draws so a little early to really say. the ability to get multiple uses from Kronx Dragonhoof with all the bounce/double battlecry stuff in Rogue is definitely a strong play.

Dragon Paladin (Highlander or otherwise) is, as many expected, incredibly strong. 

I honestly thought Dragon Pally was going to be weak tbh. Does it have a win condition or does it just beat you to death with big bodies?

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

1625 1614 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

I have mostly played with a slight refinement to the Galakrond rogue deck recipe, which looks like a solid starting point for a deck. I had a few clunky draws in the early game but lackeys are pretty good at helping catch up.

The Questing Adventurers really earned their places in the deck, and were the primary use for the coins from Umbral Skulker. Otherwise the coins were rarely super helpful in this deck, especially as I rarely invoked twice early enough for them to lead to massive tempo plays. They do have one neat feature though: Kronx + Galakrond costs 13 mana, so if you hold onto them while waiting to draw one of these, you can really speed things up. 

I'm planning on trying a big combo Galakrond deck, where I expect the Umbral Skulkers to be more important.

660 214 Posts Joined 08/01/2019

i see pirates, pirates everywhere!!!!

Old God Fanatic 1745 2912 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Quote From ArcanisDF

i see pirates, pirates everywhere!!!!

That would be me.

Pirate warrior has been a blast to play. In wild you are able to have 4 cannons and 3 patches, it is hilarious.

Carrion, my wayward grub.

Magma Rager 710 418 Posts Joined 06/12/2019

Highlander dragon mage rides the value train at full Speed. You can both clear and generate big boards. The new malygos is bonkers. Alexstrasza is totally broken. Sometimes you even get a second Ally for 0 mana!

I would bet that this deck will see play in the future. Not that easy to optimize but we will get there.

Unpopular oppinion: Pure galakrond shaman is stronger than quest-galakrond shaman! You easily push them off the board. Same thing with pirate warrior

Winner winner chicken dinner

Quote From Bersak

Highlander dragon mage rides the value train at full Speed. You can both clear and generate big boards. The new malygos is bonkers. Alexstrasza is totally broken. Sometimes you even get a second Ally for 0 mana!

I would bet that this deck will see play in the future. Not that easy to optimize but we will get there.

Unpopular oppinion: Pure galakrond shaman is stronger than quest-galakrond shaman! You easily push them off the board. Same thing with pirate warrior

I actually agree with you about Shaman. With Quest is fun, but the 2 playstyles clash a bit. I'm going for full Galakrond token next:

415 198 Posts Joined 06/08/2019

Enjoying it so far (despite playing nearly exclusively joke decks)

I've played:

Albatross/Waxadred Rogue - Not good, but brilliant to pull off. The Waxadred build is by far the strongest, but managing to put 20+ Albatrosses in your opponents deck is hilarious.

Paladin Paladin - Better than expected. Lightforged Zealot continues to impress, while Lightforged Crusader can provide a little too much value at times. The meta will settle and eat this alive, but it's a fun idea, and plays better than I thought it would.

Gala/Dragon Warrior - Now this has impressed me. Scion of Ruin is disgusting, and Smolderthorn Lancer provides a nice reply to Dragonmaw Poacher

In Wild:

Embiggen Egg Druid - Embiggen, as a lot of people suggested, is Keleseth on Steroids. If you draw it in the Mulligan, you win. If you don't....meh. I need to refine this deck, and make it work if Embiggen doesn't show up. 

Albatross Priest - Making Renolocks cry since 2019. My record is 36 birds shuffled so far. So what if it loses to literally every other deck?

It seems to be turning into mostly Pirate Warrior and Zoolock. Typical day 1 aggro decks starting to set the meta. Time to counter them bois!

PW in wild is definitely A LOT stronger. It's a tad concerning.  

Charmander 395 129 Posts Joined 09/06/2019
    Quote From YourPrivateNightmare

Titles says it all, share your first impressions with the decks you got.

I tried Treant Druid. It honestly looks incredibly solid, although not insane. The main problem is still card draw but Aeroponics is a good foundation. Currently trying Cult Master, but maybe Overflow is the way to go. Goru is actually just great, he does so much for your lategame pressure. Also a deck for Keeper Stalladris finally.

I'm currently 5-1 with the deck. My only loss was to Aggro-Galakrond Warrior. I pulled off 0-1 mana Aeroponics in all the matches. I even pulled off the double Aeroponics after playing Forest's Aid + 0 mana Anubisath Defender.

I finished the night 11-4 with the deck. I lost against Highlander Mage, Highlander Hunter and Tending Tauren treant Druid along with the Aggro Warrior. Overall, I'm 2-1 vs Druid and Hunter while I went 3-0 against Shaman. The only Class I didn't play with my Ent deck was Paladin but I feel like I will get plenty of Pala action in the days to come.

I feel like the 9 new cards make the deck better than the previous edition. I include Dendrologist as new cards because I excluded him from my old deck. His effect came into play at the earliest turn 4 but I rather Garden Gnome. Now with Treenforcements & Shrubadier I can play Den on turn 2. The only card that I miss from the deck is BEEEES!!! but there is no room in the deck cries.

Content Squad 1090 863 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

First thing I tried was a Highlander-Dragon-Galkrond-Priest... Wasn't really good. Compared to wild Razakus-Priest, you really lack boardclear and heal. Card draw/generation was fine though.

Then I tried pure Galakrond-Priest and I won about half of my games (won against every Mage, one Waxadred-Rogue but had a pretty tough time against shaman an warrior). The HP is just like Deathstalker Rexxars:It wins you the lategame. As it turns out, heal and infinite big Minions is preeeeeettyyyy goooooood! 

I also play Murozond the Infinite in this Deck, and he's actually better than I thought. Cause, you know, he copys your Opponents turn, and they usually try to have a GOOD turn. The best Thing that happend:  Opponent plays Dragonqueen Alexstrasza, clears my board with the Maly-Flamestrike and plays 2 other 8-8s (Pocket Galaxy) .Than BOOM. Murozond hits the board, I clear his entire Board AND develop multiple 8-8s.

Lava Coil 100 19 Posts Joined 06/15/2019

Played a few things. In my opinion Glakrond quest shaman is the strongest. It generates huge boards over and over and over again. The double invokes keep the board under control early. I only lost to perfect curve aggro warrior with a terrible starting hand. I took it from from Rank 8 to 4 in a bit over an hour. I also like highlander dragon mage. Super fun and can hold its own. I tried a bit of pirate warrior and gave it up after a few games because my draw was too inconsistent. Will be trying Galakrond dragon warrior next I think.

Ancestral Recall 1580 2271 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Opened all the warrior galakrond cards (including kronx) so I tried rush warrior with galakrond taking off all the filler/MEH cards from said deck (seriously, the deck from SOU had many weak/situational cards)

The card draw and reach from galakrond is JUST what the deck was lacking, won every game where my opponents didn't had the god hand went from rank 12 to 7 (didn't play much lately so got there..).

The copy dragon is strong, but I only got one copy, and tbh it's probably too inconsistent to run 2.

Funnily enough I consider running deviant maniac cause it's a rush minion and it's cheaper than shield of galakrond.. But I didn't yet because I am not sold on it.

Also you don't have to fully invoke him to play him, if I have it on 7 I just play it, the hero power is great. 

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.