Remove Ads - Go Premium

Rewards Track: Current progress

Madness at the Darkmoon Faire
  • NebuchadnezzarHS's Avatar 715 206 Posts Joined 06/14/2019
    Posted 1 week, 3 days ago

Hi, we are now 3 days into the new progression system and I am wondering what your current progress on the new rewards track and your overall experience is.

I play about 1 or 2 hours a day, finished all daily and weekly quests (with the 15% XP bonus boost) and I have reached level 17. My first impressions are:

- I only play ranked now since it rewards more XP

- The rewards track feels like a drag, because the progress has halted compared against the start

- The urge to win has become almost non-existent, because losing still rewards XP

- The rewards track has altered the way I play and I am not sure if this a positive change or not

- Hearthstone has become even more expensive than it already was

Calculations aside, I wonder at which level I will end up on the rewards track and if indeed it is going to fulfill Blizzard's promise of equal or more 'gold' acquired before the next expansion hits.

🎃 YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!  ⚔️

• clawz161's Avatar 535 594 Posts Joined 07/16/2019

I run two f2p accounts one is level 15 the other is level 16, and from there my progress has hit a brick wall. Nothing i do nets me experience. the quests i have all orbit around playing ranked ladder. Something i HATE doing. And i will not do just because it tells me to. Mostly i have been playing a lot of battlegrounds to get those hero specific achievements. I have gotten a new hero almost every time, and i usually get top 4(sometimes luckier, but never first) so it has been a grind for those as well. I have only had to concede when not getting a new hero once, and i only did it because someone else was playing mister bigglesworth and since that hero is trash, i bought a Vulgar Homunculus and conceded, to brighten their day, hopefully they won, but they probably didn't.

I DON'T FIGHT FOR GOOD. AND I DON'T FIGHT FOR EVIL. I JUST FIGHT!

• Alleria's Avatar 475 227 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Hi there, looks like I´m on the same road as you, lvl 17 with the boost. I´m affraid the path will be harder and harder everytime, since higher levels will need 3000-9000 XP and that will be a hard work to achieve imo. I´m looking forward to yesterday´s 3 weekly quests, because 1 daily quest a day is nothing, more so on higher levels. Let´s see how it turns out later.

• Thraxus's Avatar 575 89 Posts Joined 05/08/2020

I'm at level 16 with boost. The first levels were a breeze but then it started to scale. If this continues (which I fully expect) it will be a hell of a grind. Initially I thought the new track might turn out to be good, but after a couple of days I begin to feel disappointed. The main points which piss me off so far:

• XP for achievements is a joke, way too low for way too much time investment (plus some requiring certain cards)
    • No XP for Arena and some other modes (feels bad if Arena is one of your main game modes)
    • Being punished for being a casual player (no I dont play one hour per day on average, I have a real life)
    • Getting useless old packs instead of gold (ever heard of player agency Blizz?)

And last but not least the way Blizzard thinks they can handle the situation, the lack of transparency and all the so far unfounded promises. I initially believed them when they said that nobody will lose. Not anymore. As somebody who works in the service industry myself I can tell you that you should not treat your customers like this. That said I am not ready to quit HS yet but I am certainly closer to it than ever.

English is not my native language, so please excuse occasional mistakes

• Alfi's Avatar 830 648 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Same here. Lebel 16, the following levels will be grindier and grindier. Imagine grind a week for level 48 (9000 exp) to get a pack from Year of Dragon which will rotate in 3 weeks by then. The game forces you to play modes you do not want to play (duels for example which I really do not like since you can be steamrolled without any chance) and the exp gain is very small.

-=alfi=-

• Riffraff's Avatar 475 176 Posts Joined 04/30/2020

I bought the Tavern Pass on the day it was released so I have had the boost for almost all my game play since the new system started.

I am a daily player, but I don't track my hours per day. Some days it is a lot (probably 3-4) and some days it isa little as 1/2 an hour just to finish the daily. I also don't mind playing BGs, duels, etc., but my focus is definitely ranked. For what it's worth, I only play Arena/ranked Duels if I have a free ticket or another external incentive.

I am currently less than 100 points from Level 19 being completed. I grinded Duels as Shaman yesterday a bit to complete the XP achievements for Grand Totem Eys'or, which was a nice bonus to realize I could complete it in that format (didn't need to have the card, the Shaman hero power will give it to you randomly).

I am going to reserve my personal judgment on the whole program nearer to the end of the expansion in 3-4 months time once I see how my gold haul has gone. First impressions are that it is going to feel like a grind, especially at the higher levels, and not getting the 10 gold per three wins is already feeling lamer. I will be judging gold vs gold take to judge whether this was all "worth it" 

Given the projections that many others have put forth for the amount of time/XP needed to get certain amounts of gold, I am a bit discouraged. As J Alexander put it so well on his stream a few days ago: <very rough paraphrase> "I'd love to feel better about giving Blizzard my money..." I have been a paid player for a couple years (buy pre-orders and $/pack beneficial ratio bundles), and I don't (yet) regret any of it (I love the collection element of the game, and I love having more cards at my disposal in standard and in wild), but I do wish that the new system felt better in a tangible way.

Edit: at first it looked like Tavern Brawls and Duels were not giving me experience and that was really upsetting to me, but as of yesterday it appears they are (I think - I keep checking back at my XP progress after each match to make sure!)

Good points!

By the way, the most annoying missing feature is not always showing how much XP is gained after each game. One might wonder how such a simple yet useful feature could have been forgotten 🙄

I usually stay away from conspiracy theories or hidden agendas, but this seems almost like to be done on purpose to shroud how little XP is gained each and every time.

• Riffraff's Avatar 475 176 Posts Joined 04/30/2020

I agree that it's a shame that feature isn't included currently. I suspect/hope that they'll add it in a later patch because the player base will demand it.

• dapperdog's Avatar 880 1636 Posts Joined 07/29/2019

The new progression system has a few problems, aside from it being generally shit, and my experience with it was thus;

- Like all of you guys, I've grinded up the quests, especially the weeklies, just so I don't lose value. I'm around level 14 now in case you're wondering, and its been a little of a drag I have to say. You get like a huge influx of stuff within the first few hours then it all trickles down to an eyedropper before you start realising that even after 2 hours of gameplay you're essentially getting nothing. And we're only just getting started. It shudders me to think that at around level 45 - 50 the requirements are tens of thousands xp just to raise the level by 1. How many weeks are we to starve in between leveling up.

- This one is purely just a feel, but I think its significant. Since you don't get that 10g every 3 wins (you don't even get to see how much xp you're earning per match) every match seems unrewarding bar the game itself. So you can be on a 7 game streak but with no interface telling you your progression, it feels like its all for nothing.

- The xp gained for winning is actually higher compared to losing. That's clear enough. But you'd still get something for losing. I know team5 have been concerned over this part, but wouldn't some hacker just create a bot and let it queue a few million games roping the shit off your opponents and farming xp that way? I guess its inevitable anyway, but pretty soon a cap per day will be implemented to stop this abuse, but it seems like there's no real way of tackling farming via bots.

- Yes I agree that the achievement is a joke of a concept, even worst still that they added it in to their estimates on total rewards earned per expansion. Let's be honest here. The achievements are walled by specific cards, usually requiring at least one legendary (specifically) per class, so if you opened up Zai, the Incredible instead of Il'gynoth, well, you're fresh out of luck.

Most of us will hardly get near even half of all the legendaries by the end of the expansion, and now we're supposed to think that its our own fault for not pursuing this rubbish of a system. In what world will I willingly craft Oh My Yogg! or even Darkmoon Rabbit is beyond me.

Just one last note;

Anyone had the unfortunate experience of not finishing up their weekly quests? I really would like to know if you still get 3 of them at the start of the week, or if its just 1750xp wasted.

• sinti's Avatar Global Moderator Faire Sleuth 1350 1952 Posts Joined 10/20/2018
    Quote From NebuchadnezzarHS

- I only play ranked now since it rewards more XP

100xp difference isnt that much to force yourself play ranked, if you like other game modes imho.

Madness at the Darkmoon Faire: Out of Cards Expansion Guide
    ~ Have an idea? Found a bug? Let us know! ~
    ~ Join us on Discord ~

• griffior's Avatar 500 214 Posts Joined 05/31/2019

Before I start, I'm going to make it clear that I'm not for or against the new system because I don't know how my net gold or rewards will look at the end of this expansion cycle.

- I am currently level 18 (with the XP boost from purchasing) while only playing ~1-2 hours a day so that means, according to this table found here, that I have earned at least 23,400 experience in three days by doing dailies, weeklies, and random achievement bonuses. That being said, an expansion cycle is (typically) 4 months/~120 days. So if we do the math; 23,400 divided by 3 is 7,800. Now multiply that by 120 and we get 936,000, which according to the graph table listed above puts me at maxing out the rewards track. If my math is wrong please correct me, and I'm not making a case for the rewards track, I'm just putting out what I (super capitalized) have gotten to and what I might get to by the end of this cycle.

- I hop between Ranked Wild (with trash decks because Rez Priest infests Casual Wild) and BG's most of the time and haven't really touched Duels all that much. One common complaint among players and myself is that most of the achievements are only obtainable by playing Ladder. Meaning no matter what tribe you run, strategy you use, or keyword you're working with is not being tracked in the achievement system which is a big no-no. Hearthstone attracted a lot of players with the new FREE mode and making a system that requires them to step into unfamiliar territory unwillingly is likely to drive a few players away since they'll max out the BG achievements in no time.

- The urge to win is still there, 500/1000 win portraits are still a thing and many players haven't achieved that amount of ranked wins, myself being an example even though I've played since Naxx (out). You've also missed a HUGE point. It would be a slap in the face (and another 50 r/hearthstone forum posts) to not reward players somehow for playing. Imagine playing a ~20 minute control game to lose and not get XP, #feelsbadman.

- I like the Rewards Track, it gives me more goals other than "Play X games as X", or the 500/1000 win goals mentioned earlier. However, looking at the paid track VS the free track, it's not good. They could've sprinkled a little more gold here and there rather than only get a paid reward every 5 levels.

- Is Hearthstone getting more expensive? Yes. Did Hearthstone ever get cheaper in the past? Yes, in theory. Back when they implemented duplicate protection across all rarities earlier this year I thought to myself, "They'll make up for the loss somehow". Because of that now we have (objectively) less gold at the end of the rewards track unless you play an unhealthy amount of Hearthstone. Additionally now we have the mini sets, which is something LOATHED because I knew the set wouldn't be free, yet people won't look beyond a stale meta to figure that out. So because of people shouting ideas at Team 5 without thinking of the possible ramifications we get 35 extra cards that aren't going to be free.

- As a paying player, the Rewards Track felt fucking awful to pay for. That's $150 US dollars for one expansion, the Mega-Bundle, the standard pre-order bundle, and the rewards track is what I've paid for this cycle. I cannot fathom why the Rewards Tack wasn't included in the Mega-Bundle, I cannot understand why I can't trade my 30+ Arena Tickets in for the Track. So all that means for me is that I'm not buying both bundles anymore. Wild has become my Format of choice and it's incredibly cheaper in the long run.

• PopeNeia's Avatar 380 514 Posts Joined 07/06/2019

Don’t even bother, played for like 2-3 hours in ranked and only got like 200 xp... out of like the 2000 I need to progress? Fuck this new system.

This ain't no place for a hero

• dapperdog's Avatar 880 1636 Posts Joined 07/29/2019
    Quote From griffior

Before I start, I'm going to make it clear that I'm not for or against the new system because I don't know how my net gold or rewards will look at the end of this expansion cycle.

- I am currently level 18 (with the XP boost from purchasing) while only playing ~1-2 hours a day so that means, according to this table found here, that I have earned at least 23,400 experience in three days by doing dailies, weeklies, and random achievement bonuses. That being said, an expansion cycle is (typically) 4 months/~120 days. So if we do the math; 23,400 divided by 3 is 7,800. Now multiply that by 120 and we get 936,000, which according to the graph table listed above puts me at maxing out the rewards track. If my math is wrong please correct me, and I'm not making a case for the rewards track, I'm just putting out what I (super capitalized) have gotten to and what I might get to by the end of this cycle.

When the new track was released they filled out our quest bar with 3 normal quests and 3 weeklies (I think that includes the duels quest which awards scholomance packs). So technically you're counting the xp gained in the last 3 days using a metric where you've fully completed 5 dailies and 3 weeklies. Wouldn't be representative

Disclude the achievements xp. Its one time only and its a pain in the arse to complete. I wouldn't use it as a metric anyway.

To properly calculate it, just imagine a week's worth of quest plus a decent amount of playtime xp. The math is readily available in reddit if you're interested. Just add in your 10% boost.

Its not possible to max out without playing at least 5 hours a day. Even with the boost I'm sure its impossible to achieve without committing like full time to it.

• sto650's Avatar Santa Braum 370 381 Posts Joined 03/30/2019
    Posted 1 week, 2 days ago
    Quote From dapperdog
    Quote From griffior

When the new track was released they filled out our quest bar with 3 normal quests and 3 weeklies (I think that includes the duels quest which awards scholomance packs). So technically you're counting the xp gained in the last 3 days using a metric where you've fully completed 5 dailies and 3 weeklies. Wouldn't be representative

Disclude the achievements xp. Its one time only and its a pain in the arse to complete. I wouldn't use it as a metric anyway.

To properly calculate it, just imagine a week's worth of quest plus a decent amount of playtime xp. The math is readily available in reddit if you're interested. Just add in your 10% boost.

Its not possible to max out without playing at least 5 hours a day. Even with the boost I'm sure its impossible to achieve without committing like full time to it.

Agreed with this. @griffior - do those calculations again at the start of next week, when you don't have the front-loaded dump of all sorts of extra exp to get started. THAT will be the accurate metric of how much exp you will get daily

• JackJimson's Avatar Faire Sleuth 360 369 Posts Joined 11/19/2019
    Quote From griffior

- As a paying player, the Rewards Track felt fucking awful to pay for. That's $150 US dollars for one expansion, the Mega-Bundle, the standard pre-order bundle, and the rewards track is what I've paid for this cycle. I cannot fathom why the Rewards Tack wasn't included in the Mega-Bundle, I cannot understand why I can't trade my 30+ Arena Tickets in for the Track. So all that means for me is that I'm not buying both bundles anymore. Wild has become my Format of choice and it's incredibly cheaper in the long run.

Same thought. The mega bundle seems to have lost value. I kinda regret buying it.

• MisterFerro's Avatar Charmander 275 86 Posts Joined 09/06/2019

Currently level 17 (501/2600) towards 18, and I do not have the Tavern Pass. I only played Ranked Standard to get to Gold 10 otherwise I've been playing Battle Grounds/Duels for achievements. I did complete last weeks win 7 games of Ranked Play mode via low Bronze Wild while completing Ride Together, Die Together, Lothraxion's Balloon Shop & Two Punch Man.

Posted 1 week ago

Another 3 days later, currently just landed on track reward level 25 (new warrior portrait + random legendary). Experience still feels like a huge drag, I probably already played more HS in a single month in the last few days. Also finished a 9 wins Duels run which got me quite some XP and currently trying to do some of the stupid Darkmoon Faire specific achievements for some additional XP. Being on level 25, does not mean I am halfway to level 50 coz the XP required rises with each level, but the XP amount we gain remains the same 😤 

Btw, the rewards track response by Blizzard is of course a step in the right direction, but also another slap in our faces. It's just another example of how out of touch they are with reality. They simply lied to us, did nothing about the XP gain difficulty and we are still not going to get equal or more gold this expansion cycle so it seems. The even bigger elephant in the room is the introduction of the mini-expansion which means that HS has become even more expensive.

• AbusingKel's Avatar Global Moderator 335 179 Posts Joined 02/02/2019
    Posted 1 week ago

I'm at level 20 and have played mostly Duels since the system released.

I haven't tracked time but I usually play roughly 2 hours per day, mostly once my family has gone to bed. I would guesstimate my play is split 30% ranked (mostly standard), 60% duels, 10% arena. I don't see myself spending much time digging through achievements and expect I'll be well below my usual 6k gold by the time the next set launches. Clicking around that interface to find unfinished items is not how I want to play Hearthstone. 

Now you kids are probably saying to yourselves, "Hey Matt, how can we get back on the right track?" 

• sinti's Avatar Global Moderator Faire Sleuth 1350 1952 Posts Joined 10/20/2018
    Posted 1 week ago

Im at 20 playing mostly Battlegrounds, bit or arena and ranked just for the weekly quest. One thing is nice, that it does seem like playing whatever mode has you gain similar progress as others playing a different mode. Part about the time it takes to get there or the rewards is a different topic.

Madness at the Darkmoon Faire: Out of Cards Expansion Guide
    ~ Have an idea? Found a bug? Let us know! ~
    ~ Join us on Discord ~

• MisterFerro's Avatar Charmander 275 86 Posts Joined 09/06/2019
    Posted 1 week ago
    Quote From MisterFerro

Currently level 17 (501/2600) towards 18, and I do not have the Tavern Pass. I only played Ranked Standard to get to Gold 10 otherwise I've been playing Battle Grounds/Duels for achievements. I did complete last weeks win 7 games of Ranked Play mode via low Bronze Wild while completing Ride Together, Die Together, Lothraxion's Balloon Shop & Two Punch Man.

Newly made level 23 (244/3200) towards 24. I've been collecting the Darkmoon Faire xp achievements & completed Duelist 5-9 yesterday before the launch that netted me 5,800 xp. I posted in the 80g (That needs a name update!) quest trading thread if any1 on NA has the Challenge a Friend daily.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium