Core Set Reactions

• Thraxus's Avatar 1060 334 Posts Joined 05/08/2020
    Posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess it all depends on the perspective. Warlock and Warrior seem to be the winners at first glance. As a mage main I feel screwed once more. Mage must be the hardest hit class as it got gutted.

• Freeze Mage is entirely gone (yeah I know some will celebrate but they could have at least left us Frostbolt)
    • Polymorph: I mean why, just why? This was one of the most iconic mage cards and far from being OP
    • Arcane missiles: Not the biggest loss but was played in a couple of decks, especially in spell damage and as an enabler
    • Pyroblast: Could have stayed easily imo
    • Sorcerers Apprentice: The only change I can understand, will kill combo mage though (which after the Iceblock HoF was not really a thing anymore)

The new legendary indicates that they want to push mage more towards spell damage. However with no burn cards except Fireball this might end not that well. Mage really needs some good cards in the upcoming expansion otherwise it will end up trash tier.

English is not my native language, so please excuse occasional mistakes

• Thiavi's Avatar 125 11 Posts Joined 11/30/2019

Libram Paladin has a lot of cards with strong synergies with Libram cards and broken cards for this deck like Lady Liadrin (mega refill) or Barov. It's not even comparable. Priest has no synergies at all. Blizzard knows that Tempo priest will never be a thing, they know it, but still gives tempo cards to them without giving it draw. It's like they want Priest to be bad on purpose. I'm getting tired of this. 

• meisterz39's Avatar 925 1200 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From Thiavi

Libram Paladin has a lot of cards with strong synergies with Libram cards and broken cards for this deck like Lady Liadrin (mega refill) or Barov. It's not even comparable. Priest has no synergies at all. Blizzard knows that Tempo priest will never be a thing, they know it, but still gives tempo cards to them without giving it draw. It's like they want Priest to be bad on purpose. I'm getting tired of this. 

Tempo Priest has been a great deck before, so this idea that Blizzard is just pushing a junk archetype rings false to me. Back when the Boomsday Buffs came through (Summer 2019, I think), Buff Priest was hugely effective. (Here's a video from Kibler about the deck from July 2019.) The deck was so powerful they had to un-buff Extra Arms.

You're right that tempo decks rely on synergies, and that was true for the Buff Priest too (e.g. Grave Horror's synergy with cheap buffs), and they need decent card draw/resource generation. The landscape has changed, but there are some corollaries that suggest this could be a real deck in Year of the Gryphon. Crimson Clergy replaces Northshire Cleric, Voracious Reader replaces Acolyte of Pain, Power Word: Feast replaces Extra Arms, the Grave Horror spell synergies see some replacement with the self harm tempo package (Raise Dead, Brittlebone Destroyer, Flesh Giant, and Soulbound Ashtongue).

It doesn't look exactly the same as Boomsday's Buff Priest, and it doesn't look exactly like Libram Paladin, but there are a lot of good building blocks here, and it wouldn't take much more content to push this archetype over the edge.

• Thiavi's Avatar 125 11 Posts Joined 11/30/2019
    Quote From meisterz39
    Quote From Thiavi

Tempo Priest has been a great deck before, so this idea that Blizzard is just pushing a junk archetype rings false to me. Back when the Boomsday Buffs came through (Summer 2019, I think), Buff Priest was hugely effective. (Here's a video from Kibler about the deck from July 2019.) The deck was so powerful they had to un-buff Extra Arms.

You're right that tempo decks rely on synergies, and that was true for the Buff Priest too (e.g. Grave Horror's synergy with cheap buffs), and they need decent card draw/resource generation. The landscape has changed, but there are some corollaries that suggest this could be a real deck in Year of the Gryphon. Crimson Clergy replaces Northshire Cleric, Voracious Reader replaces Acolyte of Pain, Power Word: Feast replaces Extra Arms, the Grave Horror spell synergies see some replacement with the self harm tempo package (Raise Dead, Brittlebone Destroyer, Flesh Giant, and Soulbound Ashtongue).

It doesn't look exactly the same as Boomsday's Buff Priest, and it doesn't look exactly like Libram Paladin, but there are a lot of good building blocks here, and it wouldn't take much more content to push this archetype over the edge.

That Buff Priest you are talking about was great because it had finishers. It had Cleric and PW:Shield that let you draw a lot of cards while winning tempo and the most important part: Divine Spirit + Inner Fire. That combo let you finish the game in one turn. Right now priest has no finisher in order to win the game. If they clean your board, you are out of the game. 

• meisterz39's Avatar 925 1200 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Quote From Thiavi

That Buff Priest you are talking about was great because it had finishers. It had Cleric and PW:Shield that let you draw a lot of cards while winning tempo and the most important part: Divine Spirit + Inner Fire. That combo let you finish the game in one turn. Right now priest has no finisher in order to win the game. If they clean your board, you are out of the game. 

I agree with you, but my point is that it was a really good Tempo Priest deck (a thing you claimed would never be a thing), and that a lot of the same pieces that made it effective exist in different forms today. It probably needs one or two more big plays and a little more card draw, but it's close to what it needs. For instance, it's possible that Shadowform will be the thing that makes it work. That's easy to scoff at, but Midrange Hunter (a perennially successful archetype) achieves success by whittling down the opponent with their hero power while managing tempo. Priest will be able to tutor Shadowform and buffs, both of which that kind of deck will want.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.