Ruination is broken and can't be fixed.

• SchitJustWorks's Avatar 95 26 Posts Joined 12/23/2019
    Posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Every game, EVER, has a card like Ruination. Twisting Nether or Plague of Death in Hearthstone; Dark Hole in Yu-Gi-Oh, and various cards in Magic that I don't feel like naming right now.

These cards are needed to ensure a healthy overall environment for any card game. Otherwise, people have no reason to not needlessly overextend and play their entire hand onto the board with no penalties or risk. It dumbs down the game and simply makes it into a 'play all your cards ASAP'. 

• NerdExtrodinare's Avatar 80 13 Posts Joined 04/04/2020
    Quote From SchitJustWorks

Every game, EVER, has a card like Ruination. Twisting Nether or Plague of Death in Hearthstone; Dark Hole in Yu-Gi-Oh, and various cards in Magic that I don't feel like naming right now.

These cards are needed to ensure a healthy overall environment for any card game. Otherwise, people have no reason to not needlessly overextend and play their entire hand onto the board with no penalties or risk. It dumbs down the game and simply makes it into a 'play all your cards ASAP'. 

Gwent doens't

• BlueSpark's Avatar 180 193 Posts Joined 01/27/2020
    Quote From SchitJustWorks

These cards are needed to ensure a healthy overall environment for any card game. Otherwise, people have no reason to not needlessly overextend and play their entire hand onto the board with no penalties or risk.

Well, there are still AoE/global damage cards (although they're few and far between in Legends of Runeterra). Otherwise, though, I fully agree.

• Leglock's Avatar 95 34 Posts Joined 03/03/2020

Without those "board reset", aggro and midrage would be mindless archetypes to play. 
    The Ruination is quite expensive compared with it's Magic counterpart (Wrath of God) which was 2 white + 2 colorless mana. Nowdays are better wipeout board cards like Cleansing Nova which is 2 white + 3 colorless mana but the effect is slighlty better (you can choose kill all creatures OR artifacts + Enchantments). 

I can't see why is busted, since if you pressure enough, you are already winning, you don't need to vomit your hand recklessly, keep your back up just in case a reset. Remeber that you can't play units after The Ruination, except 1 mana units or Remembrance/ Succession, which is unlikely in the current meta.

Give me the reason why the mind's a terrible thing to waste?
    Understanding is cruel the monkey said as it launched to space.

...Ignorance is bliss, until they take your bliss away...

• CursedParrot's Avatar 635 697 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I think that the main problem with Ruination is that it can be cast on turn six with Spell Mana. To fix this, maybe Runeterra could introduce a keyword that means “this Spell cant spend Spell Mana” and give that to Ruination, so that it could only be played on turn 9. Maybe to counterbalance that, it could have its cost reduced to 8 Mana or something

• Leglock's Avatar 95 34 Posts Joined 03/03/2020
    Posted 2 years, 5 months ago
    Quote From CursedParrot

I think that the main problem with Ruination is that it can be cast on turn six with Spell Mana. To fix this, maybe Runeterra could introduce a keyword that means “this Spell cant spend Spell Mana” and give that to Ruination, so that it could only be played on turn 9. Maybe to counterbalance that, it could have its cost reduced to 8 Mana or something

Sounds unplayable tbh. ATM It is ok, is a slow spell for 9 mana. 

Give me the reason why the mind's a terrible thing to waste?
    Understanding is cruel the monkey said as it launched to space.

...Ignorance is bliss, until they take your bliss away...

• Reino's Avatar 10 1 Posts Joined 09/20/2022
    Posted 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I think it's too broken. The mana stops mattering after a certain amount of turns, and the monsters on the field is of most importance. If you don't have any outs you simply lose the game just like that. I think it should have an errata where ir states you can only have max 2 cards other than itself. Cuz they got ways to protect their nexus, they just gonna stall you out and then use it just like that when I have an op board set up and basicly no cards left in hand. My only out is deny.

• Nifty129's Avatar 390 616 Posts Joined 05/29/2020
    Posted 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I think he just started playing guys like while it's easy to jump on him and say there isn't a single competitive deck that mains ruination currently and that dedicated spell heavy control decks like darkness are kinda bad right now.

While things like pirate aggro have had and always will have an exceptional winrate, it might be more helpful to ask what is he playing, and how he can better play around board cleares.

• minuano28's Avatar Mountain 695 846 Posts Joined 09/10/2020
    Posted 2 weeks, 1 day ago
    Quote From Reino

I think it's too broken. The mana stops mattering after a certain amount of turns, and the monsters on the field is of most importance. If you don't have any outs you simply lose the game just like that. I think it should have an errata where ir states you can only have max 2 cards other than itself. Cuz they got ways to protect their nexus, they just gonna stall you out and then use it just like that when I have an op board set up and basicly no cards left in hand. My only out is deny.

Hello there, judging from this quote you must be new to the game, because anyone who has been playing the game for awhile know that Ruination isn't a good card right now and hasn't been for quite some time, it's OK tho we all made some wrong assumption at first.

• sto650's Avatar Santa Braum 605 654 Posts Joined 03/30/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago
    Quote From Reino

It will take you some time to learn how to play around The Ruination, but it's very doable with just about any deck. 

One of the key skills in the game is knowing when to just say, "Nope, I'm good." And then not play anything else onto the board. This forces them to either tap below 9 mana to respond to your board, or else just lose their turn and face your open-attack. (Open attack is when you attack immediately at the open of your turn with the attack token). It's actually quite awkward to find a good time to play Ruination (if you're the one playing it) - you have to kill enough things to make it worth it, but you also have to do it when your opponent doesn't have much mana or cards left. This is why the Ruination player will often "open pass" on his attack turn - he's trying to get you to play an additional unit into his Ruination. It's almost always correct in that situation to just say, "OK, let's just skip this turn then," and then end the turn and Open Attack into them.

Bottom line - the way you beat control decks who have The Ruination is to force them to have to use mana and go below 9 mana, so they cannot use it anymore. Or else force them to use it by threatening lethal damage, leaving them very little mana to do anything else on that turn. Then you just reload the board afterward and kick their teeth in.

• Nifty129's Avatar 390 616 Posts Joined 05/29/2020
    Posted 1 week, 6 days ago

Yeah, like rather then being a dick I can say that I'm a diamond rank meme lord and if you want to friend match up and I show you a few key play patterns of LOR if you want.

There are better players for sure, but simple things like open attack spam (3/4's) of how this game is played is your best friend into ruination a slow speed spell.

Leveraging burst spells to their fullest in combination with the above, including counter spells in deck building, there's just a ton of stuff I could get you up to speed on.

Or I can just jam deck lists here in the thread and show you how to play them, both meta which I won't play and know how and off meta which are fun.

When all that fails turbo leveling champions as your wincon is a great solution another large play patternof the game.

Things like gangplank landing on 5 leveled and swinging is gonna beat anything but a vengence, and then if you spread out your board vengence doesn't matter which is why everyone runs grandma or Heimer now to board spam.

Again, happy to help don't let the community bring you down they are alright guys 

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.