The MtG:Arena Player's Club Tavern... of Doom....!

• kaladin's Avatar 285 403 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 1 year, 8 months ago

How competitive is competitive?  For instance, with Hearthstone you could learn the basics and pilot almost any deck from the lowest rankings to say Rank 10, before you really needed to start thinking about investing in cards.  Is this at all true of MTGA?  

Runeterra: DEEP IS TRASH

• Scorpyon's Avatar 120 92 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Quote From Louise

I am pretty new to Arena (and hardly played Magic before). I just switched over from Hearthstone (which I still play and enjoy, too). The are still so many new effects and combos I encounter and keep wondering how to deal with them.

As there is no "Classic" Set in Magic, it would be helpful to replenish the card base when a Core Set rotates out with either:

a) Give away the new Core Set for free ... [^_^] ... yes, I know ...

b) Or at least hand out a dozen free booster packs for the new core set (or somewhat similar).

Otherwise, the loss of cards with each rotation would be truly substantial. Or not?

The "New Player" experience essentially sets you up with a load of core and initial cards for the season you are in.
    I don't know how they handle new seasons for new players, but it's possible that it may include a "Starter" set of some sort.

• strongpoint's Avatar 30 32 Posts Joined 03/15/2019

Hey, they are giving three free random Mythic rare cards via MYTHICMAGIC code (will work only till July 2). Got Oketra, Spawn of Mayhem and Skargan Hellkite. Didn't get anything I really wanted like Lilliana or Gideon but happy to dodge those mythical rare useless cards

• Awildmann's Avatar 70 16 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I've been trying to win some ladder games with a BW Vampires deck. I can't win everything, but it feels good when I do. I'm getting to slowly climb it, though I'm still at gold 4.

When I finish getting some wins though I enjoy playing a BG undergrowth deck. That one feels satisfying to win with :D

• Awildmann's Avatar 70 16 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 1 year, 7 months ago
    Quote From kaladin

How competitive is competitive?  For instance, with Hearthstone you could learn the basics and pilot almost any deck from the lowest rankings to say Rank 10, before you really needed to start thinking about investing in cards.  Is this at all true of MTGA?  

It really depends. You'll see a lot of mono red aggro decks in ladder, but if you have even a somewhat amateurish white weenie deck that blocks some creatures and gains life, they give up.

Likely the "safe" bet to climbing ladder would be an Esper control, but even they get hosed by Mana flood or getting Mana screwed. If your deck can be consistent, you can climb.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium