Reach Legend Rank

685 507 Posts Joined 12/03/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 3 days ago

If you are struggling with some decks completely hard countering your deck, I suggest playing Freeze Shaman. It is the multi-tool of wild and in my opinion the strongest deck wild, whose win rate is dragged down by the average player. I will give some pros and cons to it (and advice to op at the end so this comment stays relevant).

Pros:

• Relatively cheap.
      • Every legendary is a staple of the class and has seen competitive play before, and will likely see play afterward. A lot of the cards are still in standard so they can go towards building a standard deck, too.
    • It hard counters every form of OTK in the meta.
      • Dirty Rat, Bolner, and Macaw hard counter every relevant mage deck (Ignite and Flamewaker Mage) while also stealing value. You can also stall using a combination of Cult Neophyte, Macaw, Boompistol, and Loatheb. All you have to know is how your opponent is planning on winning.
    • It can stall early game aggression.
      • Zentimo, Windchill, and Ice fishing are absurdly strong this meta.
    • It hard counters every questline deck.
      • Have you ever dirty ratted a quest reward out of your opponent's hand? The emotes afterward are the best part, IMO (I hope the player base never learns to wait to complete their quest until they can play their reward in the same turn).
    • It can freeze the enemy board a potentially infinite number of times.
    • It has infinite scaling and armor gain while also locking the opponent out of the game with Shudderwock.
    • Counters rez mechanics with Devolve.
    • Has a good WR against the most popular deck in the format, Pirate Warrior.

Cons:

• Requires the player to be familiar with the meta.
    • Has a decently high skill floor.
    • A bad mulligan means you can lose at the start of the game.
      • This is true of nearly every deck, though. 
    • Susceptible to Dirty Rat.

This deck is incredibly busted, and I think it needs to be taken a look at by Team 5. I was able to hit a 70% WR with a new variation of it and was able to get to 63% WR with the first popular version of it.

To OP:

• When playing the most popular deck/version of a deck in a format, everyone knows your win condition and your cards, so you lose the element of surprise. Keep that in mind when you choose future decks.
    • Download HSreplay if you can. It helps you visualize what could have happened if you choose different plays.
    • Try your best to remember the different archetypes you come across, and what kind of cards they use. It will help you when you mulligan against your opponent thinking they were one archetype when they were another.
    • If you do download HSreplay, do not take the mulligan feature as gospel. Trust me. I do think it is better on minion-based decks like Pirate Warrior, however.

Sorry for derailing the thread, just wanted to share a deck that I think is great for reaching Legend.

Edit: Also, I think APM is very balanced ATM but I understand not finding them fun.

Your face is already dead

Design Champion 825 657 Posts Joined 04/23/2020
    Posted 2 weeks, 3 days ago

Of course, I have already met an APM mage. It seems that I have never lost to this deck with pirate warrior. it's just the balance of agro > combo > control > agro.

I started playing at the time of the release of the KoFT addon. I think I know quite a significant number of different decks. About the skill, I think I can handle any deck. I had different control and combo decks. I also played Shudderwock shaman when he was in standard (I just dust him then). I have several "unnecessary" legends. A couple of them are gold. So maybe I'll create freeze shaman deck.

Alright, time to some climb today.

Edit: Reached Diamond X.

Edit 2: It's next day and I reached Diamond 5. Today's climb was much easier then yesterday.

Edit 3: Past Diamond 5 climb is just unholy rage, rng fiesta and whatever it is... Stuck on the 3rd rank. I'm really unlicky with draws today. I'll try again tomorrow.

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ups and downs, ups and downs... and amazing winstreak with a bit of luck. I finally did it! 

I don't know why, but at some point in time it became a bit easier for me to play some games in a row in rating mode. Last game was hard for me to play though. I hope I won't try to do this anymore.

Thanks again to all of you for support and good luck to everyone else!

Eevee 1135 740 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Hey, congrats! And so early in the month, without the bonus stars, wow! Pirate warrior all the way? I´m silver 10 and already exhausted lol. Gonna try to do some climb today. Enjoy the feeling! :)

P.S. what was your legendary?

1640 1787 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Congrats! Enjoy your cardback :)

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

Prince Charming 1595 986 Posts Joined 06/14/2019
    Posted 2 weeks ago

Congratulations!

Can you share your feelings after you won against the gatekeeper opponent and became Legend?

By the way, you can now start every HS related sentence with "As a Legend player, I …" 🤣

Posted 2 weeks ago

I didn't put it right. I actually had some bonus stars, but they quickly ran out somewhere in the middle of the way.

Reached rank 3 playing only on pirate warrior. Then I often started getting bad opponents and in almost every game the Anchor and Patches were received at mulligan or at the start of the game. Totally unlucky. I decided to try to play the odd quest hunter and even reached rank 2, but then fell back to 3 again. So I decided to take the pirate warrior again and got stuck at rank 2. After the break, I reached the rank  1 and I was like, "now there will be ups and downs again." But suddenly I start winning every game. They gave me a shaman and I thought it was an instant lose, but he played a Dirty Rat on the 2nd turn, pulled out Mr. Smite and concede. I didn't believe in a miracle, but I was already on the last boss. It was a mirror. The game was purely under my control. He had 8 HP, and I had 21. I still thought that suddenly something would happen and I would lose. My heart started pounding wildly. And then on the 6th turn I run to my wife and deal the last 4 damage. "I've become a legend!"

As a reward for achieving the legend, I received Tamsin's Phylactery.

And I'll definitely make fun of a friend with "As a Legend player, I …" lul.

1640 1787 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 1 week, 6 days ago

Very nice! I just joined you during my lunch break with an aggro version of Swizard's Beast Druid (link). I got lucky and faced three Pirate Warriors in a row, they are my best matchup. One of the few times I made it at the first try as well :)

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

740 338 Posts Joined 04/30/2020
    Posted 1 week, 6 days ago

Congrats R, on reaching Legend for the first time! It's certainly a great feeling, and now you know you can do it you'll have that confidence going into future seasons and climbs (even if you never consciously try to climb all the way again). Congratulations!

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.