How Did Your Gamer Name Become Your Gamer Name?

• Skarsnik's Avatar 55 64 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

My GT Is Nurgles Socks. (which is a name I created especially for Hearthstone, but is now my name in WoW and D3 and stuff as well as they all share 1 name. I typically choose a different name on each platform, so I'm something else on steam and then something else on Xbox live and again for PSN)

I just go by the name "Nurgz" mostly though for short. (at least in WoW where I actually have friends anyway)

The name basically came about because Nurgle is the God of Pestilence in Warhammer, so it's pretty filthy. Now there was this TV show in the UK called "The Young Ones" from the 70's and there's this bit where the character "Vivian" has sentient socks because they are that dirty. They basically come to life and start to terrorize the other house-mates in the show. 

So I came up with the idea for a character that was basically the God Nurgles Socks that in the same vein as Vivian's Socks, had became sentient and were playing Hearthstone. So the idea is that if you are playing against me, you're actually playing against a sentient pair of socks once owned by the God of pestilence. 

You asked. Ha, Ha.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Little Devil Teemo 2110 2110 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

My username here is the same username I use on HearthPwn. I used it for another site, and when I joined HearthPwn, I was too lazy to try to think of a different username, so I just used the same one. I think I might have been trying to be too edgy or something.

I thought demons are cool (this is before I started playing Hearthstone), and the letters x and z are cool letters, and I like the number 95, and that somehow comes together. There really isn't much significance to it at all. 1995 isn't even my birth year, you're off by 4 years.

• Alleria's Avatar Eevee 1165 789 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Well, here my nick is Alleria, which I think is quite obvious that I like that character a lot :)

But my all time gamer name is very strange, mostly its origin. It was a long time ago my brother convinced me to play Diablo, so I had to choose my nickname. I never played such game, so I typed the first thing that came to my mind, thinking it doesnt really matter, because I didnt plan to play it that much. So little I knew :) My nickname is Ipik, and it comes from my school days, when we had to go to the hospital for practice. There was an old russian machine with huge letters IPIK on it, it was so loud and made so many different noises so we students had a good laugh about it. Everyday we asked: "How´s Ipik today?" and it became our "mascot" :P So I stuck to it :)

Please be kind to each other

• Scorpyon's Avatar 120 92 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Got mine about 25 years or so ago. 
    Though originally it was my little brother's username in games. He would be Scorpion and I would be SubZero.

When Everquest and the original Counterstrike (Half Life Mod) came along (and he moved on to sport rather than video games), I took the username because I preferred it, and changed the letter so as not to be a total copy! Haha! :-D

• dunforgiven's Avatar 30 1 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

One word: METALLICA

• Salo's Avatar 30 2 Posts Joined 05/31/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Im bad coming up with special cool names, so I´ve always gone with my last name. the older i got, the more cool it became ;)

“No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.” Daisy Bates.

• ARES's Avatar Hungry Ghost 315 199 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Not much story for mine.. R.S. are my initials, kinda sounds like a greek god- good enough!

Wherever I can't get aReS as a nick I merge it with an old nick I had- StingRay (aReSting). The Sting part is also cause I don't dislike "Sting and The Police".

Fun fact: The boar is a symbol of Ares the greek god of War. Is that why Huffer always goes face?

ARES summons Erymanthian Huffer.

ARES declares attack with Huffer .

Adonis' hp reached 0. ARES wins!

• Thez's Avatar 190 73 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Simple one for me. My name is Thierry and way back when (might have been Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2 at the time) I needed a name. I was wearing a Taz (from Tazmanian Devil) T-shirt at the same and thusly Thez was born. Sometimes I use Thezzy instead when Thez isn't available due to it being a short name and some people use TheZ (as in 'The Z') as their name as well (Thez wasn't available on HearthPwn for example).

• GerritDeMan's Avatar Unicorn Reveler 520 264 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I use multiple gamer names:

The most common one I use is 'GerritDeMan', which is also my username here and on Hearthpwn. 'Gerrit' is a Dutch name which I thought sounded funny (it isn't my real name) and 'de man' is dutch for 'the man'. I honestly have no good reason other than that I think it sounds funny.

I also sometimes use 'Een Bakje Sla' or 'Een Bakje Gerrit' or 'Gerritsla'. 'Een Bakje Sla' is Dutch for 'a small tray/bowl of salad'. I came up with it once when I wanted to just have a really dumb username. Sometimes I combine it with 'Gerrit' to form 'Een Bakje Gerrit' or 'Gerritsla' (explained above) just because I can.

My oldest username that I don't use a lot anymore is 'Wolto10'. Wolto is a weird alteration of my real name (Wouter) which someone at school once said to me I believe, and I was 10 years old at the time so there you go.

• SunbleachedAngel's Avatar 180 143 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I became Sunbleached Angel about 10 years ago when I became brony for courple of years and was making an OC and was choosing a name for it, I took Sunbleached from some episode of Sponge bob and was choosing between angel and demon and just thought angel makes more sense. Using it ever since

• EaterOfDays's Avatar 70 1 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I became EaterOfDays in 1999. I used to play a game called Counter-Strike. We loved a server that the admin clan was the Time-Wasters and they liked the ban hammer A LOT! Well one day we decided to troll them and became the OverTimers I was EaterOfVacations. I WAS ON MY A GAME THAT NIGHT. Changed it to Days and just kept it.

FUN FACT: Became a MTG card, I'd quit long before but someone later in life asked if it was based off that card.

• Daowen's Avatar Hero of Warcraft 920 230 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Mine comes from my first character I played in WoW.
    Loved the char and the name so hey why not :)
    She will always have a special place

I'm not online       cat          it's just your imagination

• MrNightmare's Avatar 185 8 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I needed a name for a character in WoW and i couldn't think of any that I would actually like. Then I decided to chose something from a HS quote and since I loved C'Thun as a card and his quote "My dreaming ends... Your nightmare begins" was my favourite from the whole game, my first character's name became 'MrNightmare'. The name 'YourNightmare' was my first idea but it would be too long and it doesn't look like a legendary champion's name at all

• EpicPigeon's Avatar 95 14 Posts Joined 06/04/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

My mate had a irrational fear of pigeons so I named myself a pigeon just to annoy him whenever we played together

Dont ever assume my advice is good

• Darteezy's Avatar Valeera 215 28 Posts Joined 06/02/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

When I played Dota 2, I used to make some kind of joke with my name picture, and things I said in voice chat. So when I was thinking of my next cosplay, I thought the name Darteezy out. I considered it to be absolutely hilarious. I made myself look extremely stupid, as there is a well-known player "Arteezy", who was something like Kripp to Hearthstone. So I added a "D" in front of it. It caused tons of cringy moments, so I stook with it. I still find it somewhat funny. (Think UNIRONICALLY naming yourself something like DisguisedToad, I guess)

• SirSmorcalot's Avatar 115 34 Posts Joined 03/31/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

I like SMOrcing. And I do it a lot.

I actually chose it when tempo/ secret mage was the most popular archetype while I mainly played control and optimistically hoped that my username might force a bad mulligan or two out of my opponents lol. Plus, SMOrc is a sweet emote

• Woodcaster's Avatar Uther 100 9 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Mine is a mixture of my surnames, I'm spanish but I merged my two surnames after translating them to english and latin, getting Woodcaster, in fact my current name is Engel Woodcaster.

• Roomate's Avatar 30 1 Posts Joined 06/08/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Mine is a boring story but people always ask.  I used to be a big fan of the Big Bang Theory.  So for while my username was the Roomate Agreement.  My troubles with spelling and my youth meet that I did not realize I had spelled roommate wrong.  People shorted my name to Roomate in voice chat so it just stuck.  I now keep it spelled wrong because I have always had it like that.

• TimonRaven's Avatar 195 23 Posts Joined 05/30/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Do you guys heard about roleplaying forums? I don't know if there is something like this in english speaking web, but in russian speaking part it is sort of hobby and sort of art. I had a character named Timofey Voronov and looked like this guy from Blood Lad. "Voron"(ворон) means raven. So here i am as TimonRaven.

• GoliathTheDwarf's Avatar Content Squad 955 658 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 years ago

Goliath the Dwarf is the username I have for most of my online accounts these days. It originates from a play I was in of Narnia where I was the dwarf sidekick to the White Witch, but the character didn't have an actual name. The girl who was playing the witch jokingly suggested I should pick Goliath for the sake of irony, and I thought that was a good idea. Also, I had a crush on her so anything she said sounded like a good idea back then, lol. When my brother introduced me to Steam, I choose it as my username and just kind of kept going with it for the sake of consistency. If I ever manage to get into DnD or WoW rollplay, Goliath the Dwarf will end up getting much more fleshed out as a character. 

Official Lorekeeper and Spinner of Tavern Tales

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.