Books

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1620 1691 Posts Joined 03/13/2019 House Light is On
    Posted 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Thanks to Alfi again for recommending the First Law trilogy, it was a great read. The ending was especially interesting and reminded me a bit of Eragon - it felt a little disappointing at first, but when you think about it, anything else wouldn't have fit the characters at all.

Right now I'm halfway through The Warded Man, first volume of the 5 book Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. It's a super exciting read with a very interesting setting. In short, Demons come up from the Core every night and humankind has no chance but to hide behind wards in their homes. When one of those fails, they get slaughtered. The protagonist(s) grow(s) up in that world and begin(s) to question certain behavioural patterns of their elders. It's one of those books I just can't stop reading.

If you haven't tried yet, I also can't help but repeat my recommendation of To Sleep In A Sea Of Stars by Paolini.

What are you reading at the moment? 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• doingtheobvious's Avatar Child of the Night 965 481 Posts Joined 06/01/2019 House Light is On
    Posted 3 weeks, 6 days ago

I am partial to Earth Abides (1949) by George R. Stewart. If you like post-apocalyptia and seeing how society functions and starts to re-emerge after all our infrastructures collapse inward upon themselves? You might like this.

I have also slowly been trudging through Metro 2033 (2002, 2005; 2010 US) by one Dmitry Glukhovsky. Slow going because it is a dense read with a lot of moving parts. I wanted to see if it bears has any similarities to the game that bears it's namesake. The short answer is: sortakindamaybe.

• Fedrion's Avatar Maximum Volume 1385 726 Posts Joined 05/28/2019 House Light is On

Second and third books are like a totally different series, which although makes you scratch your head, are really good books! I ended preferring the books than the second and third games.

Anybody read the "World of Watches" series, by Sergei Lukyanenko?

I just finished the last book, and got to say... Wow.

Really well explained story, incredible ambiance, really cool characters, and as almost everything in Russian novels, a lot of philosophical and political background. 

If anyone wants to read a mix of sci-fi/fantasy they are really good.

Papa Nurgle wants to share his gifts.

• R's Avatar Design Champion 785 614 Posts Joined 04/23/2020 House Light is On

Well, I don't like to read at all. But in childhood, when the father forced me to read some books, I finded a "The Stainless Steel Rat" series of sci-fi novels by Harry Harrison. Books tell about life of James Bolivar diGriz. He goes by many aliases, including "Slippery Jim" and "The Stainless Steel Rat". He is a futuristic con man, thief, and all-round rascal. I read them in one breath.

Now going to read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality...

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1780 1905 Posts Joined 03/19/2019 House Light is On

I'm not currently reading anything right now, but I have a question for you guys. How many of you here know about this book?

• PopeNeia's Avatar Darkmaster 565 737 Posts Joined 07/06/2019 House Light is On

Gonna recommend The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson of course. The books all start off really slowly but have great pay offs at the end

This ain't no place for a hero

• anchorm4n's Avatar The Cake Is A Lie 1620 1691 Posts Joined 03/13/2019 House Light is On

@doingtheobvious: Thanks for the recommendation of Earth Abides, I've bookmarked that one 

@Fedrion: I didn't like the first Watch movie very much, is that an indicator for the books?

@R: I hope you enjoy hpmor as much as I did, have fun!

@Demonxz95: Had not heard about it yet, the descriptions I've seen so far a pretty vague. What is it about? Would you recommend it?

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• Alfi's Avatar Devoted Academic 1555 1154 Posts Joined 05/29/2019 House Light is On

If you like World of Warcraft or other MMORPGs try The Way of Shaman series by Vasily Mahanenko (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25342750-survival-quest)

The genre is LitRPG - Literature RPG, and basically this is a science fiction book about a guy, who is forced to play an RPG in virtual reality. Great fun, starting from level 1 as a Shaman Jeweller and working his way up until owning his own guild. 

I really love this style - this really is like watching a very good twitch gameplay, reading about a shaman who is for example as a low level charecter grinding killing rats to get a +2 pickaxe instead of his regular one and using the knowledge of game to get a faster leveling experience.

Highly recommend.  

-=alfi=-

• Alfi's Avatar Devoted Academic 1555 1154 Posts Joined 05/29/2019 House Light is On
    Quote From PopeNeia

Gonna recommend The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson of course. The books all start off really slowly but have great pay offs at the end

Great books and the author should finish the first cycle in 2023 (he plans to write two cycles of 5 books each roughly 1000 pages). But I would recommend basically anything from Brandon Sanderson. 

-=alfi=-

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Crossroads Historian 1780 1905 Posts Joined 03/19/2019 House Light is On
    Posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

@Demonxz95: Had not heard about it yet, the descriptions I've seen so far a pretty vague. What is it about? Would you recommend it?

It's kinda hard to explain without spoiling a lot of it, but (and I'm going to try here) the book's main themes are about love of education and love of life. It's about a boy named Milo who feels constantly bored all the time. One day he finds a mysterious package shipped to him containing a map and a tollbooth. This leads to him going on a grand adventure through the lands in his map in which he learns to love the life that previously bored him.

It's a very interesting book that I loved as a kid (which is tough for me because I tend to not like very many books). Even though it's often classified as a "children's book", it's arguably just as relevant and thought-provoking to read as an adult.

• Fedrion's Avatar Maximum Volume 1385 726 Posts Joined 05/28/2019 House Light is On
    Posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

@Fedrion: I didn't like the first Watch movie very much, is that an indicator for the books?

No, the movies (Both of them.. and the second worse...) differ a lot, and I really mean a LOT of the books, the books are better connected and have more coherence.
    The movie tries to summarize 3 different stories and mixes the plot on which it should be based a lot... a shame, because I personally really liked both of them.

To be more direct, no, they are nothing like the movies. The books are better 100%.

Papa Nurgle wants to share his gifts.

• CrystalMaiden's Avatar 60 5 Posts Joined 10/24/2021 House Light is On
    Posted an hour ago

I like Isaac Asimov and his novel Academy, also Stanislav Lem and Charles Bukovsky

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium