Books

• Jacobthomas345's Avatar 10 1 Posts Joined 03/11/2022
    Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Reading occupies much of my time. I read the comments too. There are many good books mentioned here that I intend to check out. Some of them I have already studied. Whenever I am feeling down, I enjoy spending time with my lucky Bad Bunny shirts, books, my wife.

• thewishmonster's Avatar 470 7 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I can't believe I've never saw this topic before, hahaha. 

I've been reading a lot of sci fi and fantasy lately and there are some I'd really like to reccomend.

- Baudolino, by Umberto Eco; Baudolino, a peasant-born boy, has a gift for learning languages and telling lies, and these talents made him "create" some of the most powerful motifs of the Medieval Era, like the Holy Grail, Presbyter Johannes etc.;

- "Tigana", by Guy-Gavriel Kay: a fantasy clearly inspired by the principles exposed by Machiavel in "The Prince";

- "The Girl With All the Gifts", by M. R. Carey (there's a prequel, The Boy on the Bridge, but I didn't read it yet): zombie apocapypse sci fi never was a favorite of mine, but this book is amazing;

- the "Temeraire" series (9 books, closed), by Naomi Novik: imagine the Napoleonic Wars, add dragons to the plot and voilà! 

- "Gather the Daughters", Jenny Melamed: in my opinion this one makes "The Handmaid's Tale" weep in silence in a dark corner.

• anchorm4n's Avatar 1690 1857 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Nice to see the thread alive and kickin! 

I can second the recommendation of The Girl With All The Gifts, it's a very original take on the zombie genre with a very cool ending. I think they even made a movie based on the book but I haven't seen that one yet. 

I've finished The Demon Cycle by Brett which I can't recommend enough. Rarely a series managed to increase in complexity so much without it feeling forced like this one did. Next in line is The Name of the Wind which has been waiting for its turn for far too long already.

For my fellow Sci-Fi lovers: Don't miss out on Paolini's To Sleep in a Sea of Stars! 

I notice I am confused. Something I believe isn't true. How do I know what I think I know?
    Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, hpmor.com

• sto650's Avatar Santa Braum 605 652 Posts Joined 03/30/2019
    Posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago
    Quote From anchorm4n

Nice to see the thread alive and kickin! 

I can second the recommendation of The Girl With All The Gifts, it's a very original take on the zombie genre with a very cool ending. I think they even made a movie based on the book but I haven't seen that one yet. 

I've finished The Demon Cycle by Brett which I can't recommend enough. Rarely a series managed to increase in complexity so much without it feeling forced like this one did. Next in line is The Name of the Wind which has been waiting for its turn for far too long already.

For my fellow Sci-Fi lovers: Don't miss out on Paolini's To Sleep in a Sea of Stars! 

I've read The Name of the Wind and the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, twice through. The story is very good. I have literally no idea how he can finish the series in one more book. Maybe he also has no idea how he can do that, so maybe that's why it's taking so long for the third book to arrive.

Realistically, there should be a book 3 to finish the backstory, and then there should be a book 4 to continue the plot in the "present" time. (The books are written as a man telling his own past story .. but they also include some small chunks of what is happening in the "present" as well. Book 1 is Day 1 of him telling his story. Book 2 is Day 2 of the story telling. Book 3 will be Day 3, and he promised 3 days. But there could easily be a book 4 that breaks out of the story-telling about the past and moves forward with the present, into the future.)

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.