We're halfway through the Hearthstone Grandmasters 2020's Season 1 as the divisional Round Robin matches continue this week. You can find everything you need to know below.
This Week's Format
The Round Robin matches continue. This phase is very similar to last year's Grandmasters format.
- Best of 5 Conquest
- Each player brings four decks, and one deck is banned before each match.
- The players have been split into two Divisions, and they'll play against everyone in their Division once - a total of 7 matches.
After the four weeks of Round Robin, the players will move to the next stage based on the final standings as follows:
- Top 6 automatically enters the Playoff phase.
- The 7th- and 8th-placed players enter a relegation Play-In with two players from Division B - one of the four will get relegated.
- Top 4 will play a dual tournament bracket to determine two players to join the top 6 from Division A in Playoffs.
- The 5th- and 6th-placed players enter the relegation Play-In with the Bottom 2 players of Division A.
- The 7th- and 8th-placed players are automatically relegated from Season 1 of Grandmasters 2020.
For the entire competition format, check out the spoiler below.
Weeks 1-3: Swiss into Group Stage
During weeks 1-3, players will compete in matches in a Swiss format on each Wednesday and Thursday to earn placement in the weekend Group Stage. Points from these weekend rounds will be used to determine two Divisions in each region for round-robin weeks. Different gameplay format each week.
- The 16 players in each region will compete against each other off broadcast in 7 Swiss rounds during the week.
- On Thursday, after Swiss play has completed, the field is cut in half based on standings and the Top 8 per region will play in a dual tournament format live on YouTube across Friday and Saturday, with the top-4 finals played out on Sunday.
- Gameplay format changes every week:
- Week 1: Conquest with 1 Ban
- Week 2: Four Deck Last Hero Standing with 1 Ban
- Week 3: Ten Deck Conquest with 6 Bans
Weeks 4 - 7: Round Robin
Weeks 4 –7 will consist of round-robin group play within the two divisions in each region—much like the previous seasons of Grandmasters.
- Following weeks 1-3, players will be sorted into two divisions based on their points standings. Division A is comprised of the top-8 point-earning players, and Division B will be point total ranks 9-16.
- The two divisions compete in round-robin group play over four weeks. The standings at the of conclusion of these weeks will determine who will go on to compete in Playoffs, and who will be relegated from Season 1.
- The format will stay consistent during round-robin weeks:
- Bo5 Conquest (4 decks, 1 ban)
Week 8: Season 1 Playoffs
Round-robin weeks lead into Week 8 Playoffs, which will qualify one player per region to the World Championship at the end of the year, while three players from each region will be relegated.
- Top 6 from Division A automatically make it into Playoffs.
- Top 4 from Division B compete in a play-in round to determine who will join the top 6 from Division A in a dual tournament bracket for Playoffs.
- The 7th- and 8th-placed players in Division B at the close of round robin are automatically relegated from Season 1 of Grandmasters.
- Final relegation will be determined via a 3-match Play-In involving the 7th- and 8th-placed from Division A, and 5th- and 6th-placed from Division B.
- The winner of Playoffs from each region will qualify to the Hearthstone World Championships later this year.
Please note that there might be some downtime between regions depending on how the matches progress. Approximate individual match schedule can be found here.
You can find the current standings and more on the official tournament site.
You can watch all the action on the official Hearthstone Esports Youtube channel. If you want more Grandmasters content, check out the short videos about last week's matches made by the casters.
Recap of the weekend with Raven.
Top 5 moments with Darroch.
Mulligan decisions with Jia.
Hot Takes with TJ and Sottle.